Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
and if im getting ready to take a shower im not gonna pee in the toilet, the shower drain goes to the same place and urine helps prevent athletes foot. honest.

Hahaha! I am not so sure!
First, there's not enough urea in urine to do much good - typically only 2 to 2.5 percent.
Second, urea per se isn't what attacks the athlete's foot fungus; it mainly helps antifungals work.
Finally, unless you stopper the tub and let your feet soak, any contact you'd have in the shower would be brief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 AM

168 posts, read 307,873 times
either way, its not making anything worse and im still gonna keep doin it! call it health, cheapness, or personal preference, its my shower and ill pee if i want to.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:25 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,112 times
Our smartphones help save money in a lot of areas. It is our internet on the go, our GPS, and helps us communicate much better with Craigslist buyers and sellers (this is a huge, huge plus for us). My husband was skeptical when I bought a BB in November if we actually needed a smartphone or not, but it paid for itself in seconds in simple convenience. I'm selling the BB in a few days (good phone, but I don't want to pay the BB tax anymore) and we both have Optimus phones through dirt cheap Virgin Mobile now. Love them.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:31 PM

95 posts, read 225,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I don't pay for utilities directly (my landlord charges a fixed amount every week) so I have little incentive to make serious investments in water or energy saving devices. However, I'm still very mindful of turning off lights or the heat and conserving water..
Good your conserving water and energy, but wouldn't you mind talking to your landlord and re-negotiate that part with him/her? Say you install CFLs instead of old bulbs or the aquasaver in your toilet tank, this would be a win-win for both of you and he/she should be interested in saving money as well...

Old 02-25-2011, 10:59 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
To those using some type of device in your toilet tank such as a jug you need to be careful not to put in something that's too big. I had placed a 2 liter jug filled with water in my tank but noticed that I often had to flush the toilet more than once sometimes to get things to go down. This basically caused me to flush the toilet too much using up even more water. I've switched to a smaller sized individual water bottle(filled with marble rocks). Now the toilet seems to flush normally. So if you have something in your tank and are having to flush more than once then whatever you have in your tank may be too large so switch to something smaller.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Water savings isn't an issue for us. We draw water from a creek and it ends up in the septic system a few hundred feet from the creek. Our water use has almost zero impact, other than the cost of pumping.

Our freezer is probably one of the better saving devices we have, since it allows us to shop on sale seasonally. For instance, ham is on sale for $1.18/lb. I bought an $8 one, cut it up, and have 16 4 oz. packages of ham for sandwiches comparable in flavor to deli ham, a 12oz section for a meal meat course for 3 or 4 people, a soup bone, and 6 4oz packs of fatback for greens and stews. At Thanksgiving, we do the same with frozen turkeys on sale.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Clothesline and drying rack.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
You didn't save if you paid for it.
If it was regularly $5 and you pay $3 you didn't save, you paid out $3.

If your on a septic system do not use these tank bricks and be careful using a low flow toilets as there may not be enough water to carry the waste to your septic tank or mound system. Over time this could plug up the line.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Clothesline and drying rack.

Right on. Fully solar-powered clothes dryer, holds a full load of wash, only $2.98.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
I like my solar powered flashlight but it probably doesn't save that much. If you use it 15 minutes a day instead of a 15 w bulb it takes nine months to save a dime. Of course compared to battery power it's a lot more. EZ Pass can save you a lot on tolls plus not having to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living