Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Well, I DID finance EVERYTHING including gap insurance and a service plan
i thought you said you put down 2500. i never put anything down on a car. why am i financing it if im not going to finance the whole thing? no need to lower my monthly payments by making 2 years of payments all at once.

also, does it make sense to get gap insurance on a used car? i bought my car after i had finished its lease and they were pushing gap insurance on me. im thinking why the hell would i want that since gap is to cover the extreme drop in value a car has right when you buy it new, once its already a few years old its not losing value so fast anymore. seemed like a scam to me.

im glad you felt happy with your purchase. i always have a bad feeling when i get a car that i didnt get the best deal possible. i always come in already with all the numbers and what it would cost to finance it. these guys will make a deal for 20k and then work out a financing plan which would be appropriate for a 30k car. its a math equation but they use peoples ignorance to walk all over them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
I've known, for a while, that I really needed to look for a newer car. I have an '86 Honda Accord that has been THE best car I've ever owned but it's now old and tired and starting to cost me money to keep it going. Soooo...I started car hunting last week.

What I wanted....another Honda, not necessarily an Accord....not older than a 2000 model, 100,000 miles or less, 5-speed, lowest price and interest, of course. And around $200 mo. payments. Was also willing to check out Toyota and Kia. I checked out nearly a dozen cars

and THIS is what I got...

A 2005 Buick Century! It was owned by an older couple and when the wife passed away the guy traded it in on a new smaller Kia. It has less than 64,000 miles on it, is PERFECT inside and out and even still has a lot of the 'new car' smell. I don't think anyone has ever even sat in the back seat! Everything works perfectly. I gave them $2,500 down but when all is said and done, I'll be paying around $12,000 for it, after 5 years. That includes EVERYTHING but I plan on paying it off sooner. Payments are $211 at 7% interest. One dealer wanted to charge me 29% interest and I said "Over my dead body!". Insurance will be around $270 every six months, which I thought was pretty good. Especially when I hear people complain about how high auto insurance is here in AZ. The dealer actually knocked off about $800 on the price just because I'm "local and work for Wal Mart". Who knew my Wal Mart discount would work for buying a car?? lol

So...does this sound like a good deal? It's a dream to drive, handles really well but is bigger than my Honda so I have to get used to that. I took it for a drive up the mountain to see how it handled on curves, etc. and it did great.

It's just so nice to have a new car that I shouldn't have to worry about for a long time. Being very frugal, living simply and saving like a madwoman pays off!

Uh, this is a joke???? 12 grand for a 6 year old road bomb.............uh, no you did not do good.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Congratulations on your car, Brat!

Don't let the quotes from Edmunds and Blue Book get you down - that's the exact model my mother has. Her mechanic offered her $10K

Good used cars are hard to find. I've been getting letters from 3 Toyota dealers in my area, offering to buy my Tundra - for more than Blue Book.
Uh...no, good used cars are easy to find.....just do a little homework.

You think 12 grand for a 6 year old roadbomb is good........that is a ripoff.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Nope, not gonna let anything get me down. I love my new car and even if I DID pay a little too much...which I'm not sure I did, what with all the add ons I got...I'm still happy with it. Was just curious what other folks thought, that's all. The ONLY thing I got that I wasn't looking for was the make/model. Otherwise I got exactly what I wanted. Hopefully it'll still have some decent trade in value when I'm ready to 'trade up'. Or, as with my Honda, I may just drive it till it dies. lol

You got took......are you a girl??????

Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Good used cars are hard to find. I've been getting letters from 3 Toyota dealers in my area, offering to buy my Tundra - for more than Blue Book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Uh...no, good used cars are easy to find.....just do a little homework.
Valley used-car prices inducing sticker shock

"The lack of used vehicles available for sale ..."
"The average wholesale price of a 3-year-old used compact is up 20 percent ..."
"Even prices for midsize sedans and merely serviceable, higher-mileage vehicles are rising ..."

Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i thought you said you put down 2500. i never put anything down on a car. why am i financing it if im not going to finance the whole thing? no need to lower my monthly payments by making 2 years of payments all at once.

also, does it make sense to get gap insurance on a used car? i bought my car after i had finished its lease and they were pushing gap insurance on me. im thinking why the hell would i want that since gap is to cover the extreme drop in value a car has right when you buy it new, once its already a few years old its not losing value so fast anymore. seemed like a scam to me.

im glad you felt happy with your purchase. i always have a bad feeling when i get a car that i didnt get the best deal possible. i always come in already with all the numbers and what it would cost to finance it. these guys will make a deal for 20k and then work out a financing plan which would be appropriate for a 30k car. its a math equation but they use peoples ignorance to walk all over them.
I did put down $2500. If for no other reason than to make the payments smaller. I wouldn't use my car as a trade in because it just wasn't worth anything...to anyone else.

All the gap insurance will do is make sure that if something happened and my car got totalled...with a balance owing...I wouldn't be stuck paying for it. That happened to my niece and was a really bad deal.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
You got took......are you a girl??????
No, I'm not a "girl". I'm a fully grown great grandmother and this is not the first car I've ever bought. Gee, I guess I shoulda been born a "boy" so I'd be smarter. LOL Men always think they can do things better, no matter what. I sure didn't see any guys volunteering to go with and "help" me be smart!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times
I bought a 2003 Ford Focus in 2004 from a dealer for less than $9k that was a rental car. Had about 30k miles and I still have it. You really overpaid for this car.

Last edited by Rich Cabeza; 07-01-2011 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: added

Old 07-01-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I bought a 2003 Ford Focus in 2004 from a dealer for less than $9k that was a rental car. Had about 30k miles and I still have it.
I actually checked out buyiing a rental car. I found a few nice ones but nothing in my area.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times
Couldn't you have bought a new Hundai for that price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living