Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like dark meat chicken much better, and it's cheaper because everyone else is going for the dry chicken breasts. I buy a whole package of legs and cook them up and then put hot sauce on some, barbecue sauce on others.
yeah, the boneless skinless thighs are much yummier than the breasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,688,445 times
Maybe once a month I buy beef--and then it's a good quality 80/20 for my Best-in-the-World cheeseburgers. Other times, it's usually chicken thighs--with skin--which I season up highly and roast in the oven. I eat pretty low fat but sometimes my body wants some animal fat instead of olive oil, hence the burgers and the chicken.

A big treat is to buy some wild Alaskan salmon.

Mostly, though, it's vegetarian meals for us--we're not big meat eaters. Beans are our friends. Our weight and health is good, so this works for us--and our budget.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,446,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

A big treat is to buy some wild Alaskan salmon.
Just struck me as funny, considering your CD name

Old 07-24-2011, 02:08 PM

591 posts, read 866,982 times
Yes. I am not going to continue to eat a 5 oz. hamburger when the meat itself when prepared at home costs $2.50 anymore.

And BTW why has the price of chicken and eggs not gone thru the roof like every other commodity publicly traded?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:18 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I much prefer beef over chicken, but I don't buy either unless it's on sale. There was recently a good deal on packages with two london broils in them and another good deal on hamburger meat. I live alone, so I froze one london broil and cooked the other and then took some to work for lunch with vegetables and used it in salad and had steak-and-eggs with some for dinner...problem was, after about a week, I ran out and bought some chicken because I was just beefed out.

I also stretch the dollars by having a couple of vegetarian days each week, days when I eat things like rice and beans with tomatoes. It's dirt cheap and balances out the more expensive stuff.
What's the secret to freezing beef? Every time I try it, the meat comes out drier and tougher. Even hamburger...

MightyQueen -- look for bone in, skin on chicken breast -- the bone adds flavor and the skin keeps the moisture in. Even if you go under the skin to rub on the seasoning, like I do. I roast one at least once a week for hubs and me. 375 for 50 minutes in a cast iron skillet, test at 40-45 minutes for a internal temp of 165. Move to a cutting board and let rest under a tent of foil.... final read on temp should be 175 (170 is safely cooked -- but hubby doesn't like the wet feel of the meat at that temp -- he thinks he's eating raw meat)

Hmmmm.... good thing I don't have any potatoes or I'd be roasting a breast and making some mashed potatoes and gravy.....

Old 07-24-2011, 03:28 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,446,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
What's the secret to freezing beef? Every time I try it, the meat comes out drier and tougher.
Sometimes it's the cut of meat itself, sometimes it's the wrapping. I put mine in a liquid and then freeze - called Dump Recipes, LOL. Less chance of freezer burn. When you take it out to defrost, it marinates

Old 07-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Sometimes it's the cut of meat itself, sometimes it's the wrapping. I put mine in a liquid and then freeze - called Dump Recipes, LOL. Less chance of freezer burn. When you take it out to defrost, it marinates
Thanks for the recipes -- I've printed them out. Will come in handy when I get my knee replacement and can't stand and tend anything on the stove....

But regarding the beef -- the meat is perfect when I buy it -- use some and freeze the rest and the rest ...is not. and my parents used to buy half a cow, so I know beef can be frozen. It's just when I do it... something goes wonky.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,422,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
I cannot believe how expensive beef has gotten. Have you switched from beef to eating more chicken due to the cost? I have started buying a whole chicken weekly and either freezing it to use later, or putting it in the crockpot for a meal. After having it for a meal, I cut up the leftovers for chicken salad or just put some on top of a salad that week. Just curious if others are switching over also.

That's some chicken!

Seriously, all I can find are "mini chickens" about 3-4 pounds, and the meat disappears when you cook it

Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,528,445 times
We have meat about 2-3 times a week. If I find something on sale, then I will cook it and we can eat it for leftovers a coupe of times either lunch or supper.

Yes! Egg prices are through the roof.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
We have meat about 2-3 times a week. If I find something on sale, then I will cook it and we can eat it for leftovers a coupe of times either lunch or supper.

Yes! Egg prices are through the roof.
If you have a Trader Joe's near you -- egg prices are WAY low there.... our Safeway a dozen eggs are 3.29 -- At Trader Joes -- 1.49....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living