Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 PM

410 posts, read 833,603 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of getting rid of my land line to save $50 a month (I am living paycheck to paycheck right now). My DSL meets the speed requirements. I hardly ever talk on the phone, anyways.

I have read mixed reviews of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
I am thinking of getting rid of my land line to save $50 a month (I am living paycheck to paycheck right now). My DSL meets the speed requirements. I hardly ever talk on the phone, anyways.

I have read mixed reviews of it.
Don't know much about Magic Jack, but we have VoIP. Just a $50 investment on an OBI, then everything is free after that. The computer doesn't have to be on, and you don't even have to be in the same room with the computer.

We have six cell numbers in an extended family plan (family members live in different states all over the country), but I'm cancelling one of them (my own) at the end of this month, because I have not used my cell for more than five months now since we have the VoIP.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
Check out Google Voice

Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Check out Google Voice
That's the VoIP I have.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Just a $50 investment on an OBI, then everything is free after that. The computer doesn't have to be on, and you don't even have to be in the same room with the computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
That's the VoIP I have.
Obi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it isn't a sash....so what is an OBI? I use Google Voice and don't recall buying one

I do use a computer (any one that gets me to Google...) to dial. None needed to receive a call.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:12 PM

Amazon.com: OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter: Electronics

That, and an $11 cordless phone from Wal-Mart, that's all we spent. After that, all calls to all numbers in the US are free. No monthly service charge. No expense, no bill, none whatsoever. We dial directly from the phone, exactly the same way as a regular land line, not through the computer. We receive calls from every source without involving in any kind of network. We've used the phone in the backyard, by the pool, etc. as long as it's within a certain radius of the computer. The computer, as I mentioned above, does not have to turn on for the connection.

We could have an answering machine to go with it, but we chose not to. We use Google Voice for answering service instead, and pick up the messages through our gmail (or by dialing a voice mail number, but I never did.)

We'll move across the country next year, and the VoIP will continue to work everywhere we live.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 09-13-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,683,109 times
I dumped my (more expensive) VOIP service once my contract ended and have been using MagicJack exclusively for the last 8+ months. Works fine for me. I use Google Voice as my main phone # and have incoming calls routed to my MJ line. Attached to the MJ dongle is my cordless phone system (4 handsets). You need an "always-on" computer to run MJ. $20/year is a good deal.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I dumped my (more expensive) VOIP service once my contract ended and have been using MagicJack exclusively for the last 8+ months. Works fine for me. I use Google Voice as my main phone # and have incoming calls routed to my MJ line. Attached to the MJ dongle is my cordless phone system (4 handsets). You need an "always-on" computer to run MJ. $20/year is a good deal.

We did not sign any contract with Google VoIP, and there is no cost (asides from the one-time $50 OBi) at all. Call waiting, caller ID, and answering service are included. That's more than we need, and the price ($0) is right.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 PM

553 posts, read 1,545,293 times
I had MJ for less than a year and I hated it. I had a brand new computer and high speed internet cable. For some reason it just didn't like to work for me. My computer liked to turn itself off "to save energy" or it would reboot a lot all by itself. That was a big pain in the butt, because MJ doesn't work unless your computer is on all the time.

Then on the days that my computer wasn't too blame, I could hear people just fine, but they couldn't hear me. It drove me crazy more than it helped me. I'll never use it again and I still have it in a drawer somewhere. Save yourself $40 and look into something else with better reviews.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:05 AM

410 posts, read 833,603 times
I had never heard of Google Voice - I will check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living