Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:00 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

You could save the cost of your water by just having your dog lick the plates clean. They do a pretty good job and no one visiting could tell. Until after dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Anal dish washing sounds rather disgusting. I don't even want to know how it is done.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Anal dish washing sounds rather disgusting. I don't even want to know how it is done.
This is too funny....

Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
If you named the dogs "Soap" and "Water" then the dishes would be as clean as soap and water could get them.

That graph for dishwashers being more energy efficient only works if you live somewhere that power is less expensive than water. Around here water is cheap and power is expensive. We have a dishwasher, though, if I can get him to quit watching TV long enough to do them, of course.

Someone told me that dish washing liquid is a fairly new invention? Sometime around the late fifties, early sixties? What did folks use before then?

For that matter, soap itself is a fairly new invention, I think it's only several hundred years old? Somehow folks managed to get things clean enough to survive on without soap?

Old 11-21-2011, 02:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
That graph for dishwashers being more energy efficient only works if you live somewhere that power is less expensive than water. Around here water is cheap and power is expensive. We have a dishwasher, though, if I can get him to quit watching TV long enough to do them, of course.
No, in terms of energy efficiency, it works all the time. Cost, on the other hand, is a different story. Although I can only imagine that washing dishes by hand is less expensive if you wash with cold water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Someone told me that dish washing liquid is a fairly new invention? Sometime around the late fifties, early sixties? What did folks use before then?

For that matter, soap itself is a fairly new invention, I think it's only several hundred years old? Somehow folks managed to get things clean enough to survive on without soap?
Soap goes back somewhere between 20 to 25 centuries. You might want to get a more accurate source.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times
GOOD GOD have you lost your mind!!?

With the $2 you save from buying dish detergent, you now need $10 in pesticides to kill all the cockroaches and bugs that are roaming through your kitchen at night enjoying a greasy buffet while you're asleep dreaming of what you can buy with the $2 you saved.

And don't tell me that you also don't use soap while showering because it will kill off the beneficial micro-organisms growing on your skin too????

Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
good god have you lost your mind!!?

With the $2 you save from buying dish detergent, you now need $10 in pesticides to kill all the cockroaches and bugs that are roaming through your kitchen at night enjoying a greasy buffet while you're asleep dreaming of what you can buy with the $2 you saved.

And don't tell me that you also don't use soap while showering because it will kill off the beneficial micro-organisms growing on your skin too????
lmao !!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
jtur, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to make it for Thanksgiving dinner after all. I think something just came up.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Your greasy dishes are going to start to smell rancid and disgusting if you leave them like that. It doesn't take much soap to clean them properly.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
jtur, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to make it for Thanksgiving dinner after all. I think something just came up.
That's right Theatergypsy... you forgot you were coming to MY house, right?
Turkey, on clean plates, for everyone! C'mon over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living