Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,746,659 times

Advertisements

I didn't know exactly where to put this question, sorry if it is in the wrong forum.

So please don't laugh at me, this is kind of dumb, but if my cable/internet company is offering a great deal for "new customers only", then if I were to cancel my cable and internet then sign up again shortly thereafter, would I be a "new customer"?

What about just paying them in full then having services canceled and then started up again in the name of another adult in the house? Would that be ok or somehow against the rules or whatever?

I'm annoyed I guess, I really need to cut back on the cost of this and I really only want internet. The problem is, I signed up for some bundle in the beginning, so that if I drop the basic cable then the internet charge increases so it is a wash. When I called to drop the cable they said I'd end up paying $52 a month anyway. I am currently paying $55 for internet and basic basic (i mean BASIC, just a handful of local channels really) cable that no one ever watches. If I could take advantage of this new customer special I'd have the same internet speed for $19 a month plus tax. A big deal over time, especially since we're wanting to move in summer and will have increased housing costs. Just trying to figure out if I can make it work for me.

When trying to be more frugal, internet is the one thing I cannot do without. Cable can go, I don't care, but internet for me as a student, plus with kids who need it for school projects and research, plus as our major source of entertainment (i.e. Netflix and Amazon video) then I need it and at a decent speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,275,107 times
The company probably goes by the address on file. So either way dropping then opening up the account wouldn't matter.

I would call and try to cancel and when they say they can only go to $52 say just cancel it. See what they say. You might end up having to get a new cable/internet company though. Lol

Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,746,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
The company probably goes by the address on file. So either way dropping then opening up the account wouldn't matter.

I would call and try to cancel and when they say they can only go to $52 say just cancel it. See what they say. You might end up having to get a new cable/internet company though. Lol
Yeah, we might try that. We did something similar when our first "special" for six months ran out and they were willing to bargain back down close to that "special" rate. None of the others are any better though with regard to price. I've had them all and this particular company has been the best in terms of reliability... nothing like trying to do a research paper last minute and having the internet go out for a day! I just don't wanna pay $50 when I know they are offering that deal for $20!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 AM

3,927 posts, read 6,843,555 times
Another way of doing it is if you have anybody living with you under a different last name you can cancel and have it moved to their name. In college and even post college my roommates and I would do this all the time.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
i tried that once and there was a time period of like 1-2 months that you had to be without service to qualify as a new customer.

if you havent tried yet, just tell them you want to cancel all service. they will usually offer some kind of deal to keep you from canceling.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Those deals typically require a 24 mo commitment or you pay a penalty for dropping within the period. Don't do anything until you read and understand the fine print, or you may find yourself looking at collection agency letters.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Go for it. They will have your name, but sign using wife's or son's. I had 4 cycles with T-Mobile this way, and every time we had free phones as "new customers".

Also, keep in mind, you WILL regret it later. Every time we tried "new customer great promotion" with cable companies, self or buddies had to cancel it down the road. It always turned out to be a money pit.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
CApNJ is right, actually. If you tell them you cancel all and go to competitor, they will give you anything you want to, regardless of new or not new. It's old known cable company game. Lost count how many times I did it. But I settled for business internet now with Comcast, and am not regretting it at all. Online IPTV, don't care about cable TV anymore.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,003 times
When I saw that Comcast had a new-subscribers-only special (and I was a current subscriber), I called them and said I'd like to have my account switched to the special price, please, even though I'm not a new subscriber. They put me on hold for a little while and came back on and said, "Sure, we can do that." I didn't have to threaten to cancel, just asked very nicely for the special price and they gave it to me.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
I am thinking of doing that myself. If they refuse there are competitors I can try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living