Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times

Advertisements

More of a frugal month, but I just calculated our total expenses for the month and our total was $3,881, 63.5% of which was spent on our mortgage, daycare, health/life insurance, and our car payment (51% if you remove the car payment). This is by far our least expensive month of the year. It was pretty exciting to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 03:08 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
This weekend we went through our accounts with a ine-tooth comb and eliminated sever recurring charges, including things like car rental insurance---we have 4 cars! Dropped Vet Insurance on a dead cat....dropped insurance on a storage unit that is covered via our homeowners insurance....

All these nickel-and-dime charges added up to savings of $140/month!!!!!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:47 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
I get daily emails from a emarketing scheme that gives me 5 points for every web link I click through to sites like Walmart, HSN, Groupon, etc... typically 2-5/day & I wait until I get about 13K points through clicks, that takes 3+ years unless I buy something through the click throughs when on sale/bonus added.

13K points gives me 5K points for United Air frequent flier program which is what I typically do. (This past summer I got 2 RT tickets from U.S. to Ireland & Portugal that cost me less than $90 tax total by doing this & using FF affiliated credit cards. In Europe I stayed at AirBnBs & Portugal is very reasonable, cheaper than home.)

But this week I checked & was able to redeem a few thousand points from the emarket scheme & get a $50 Target gift card for free that I will give my niece for Christmas.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I get daily emails from a emarketing scheme that gives me 5 points for every web link I click through to sites like Walmart, HSN, Groupon, etc... typically 2-5/day & I wait until I get about 13K points through clicks, that takes 3+ years unless I buy something through the click throughs when on sale/bonus added.

13K points gives me 5K points for United Air frequent flier program which is what I typically do. (This past summer I got 2 RT tickets from U.S. to Ireland & Portugal that cost me less than $90 tax total by doing this & using FF affiliated credit cards. In Europe I stayed at AirBnBs & Portugal is very reasonable, cheaper than home.)

But this week I checked & was able to redeem a few thousand points from the emarket scheme & get a $50 Target gift card for free that I will give my niece for Christmas.
would you mind sharing that information?

Old 12-02-2016, 05:49 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times
Our 20-year-old overhead garage door (not the automatic kind) was in sad shape. The bottom seal was in need of replacement and one day last week, the entire locking mechanism fell off, including the metal bars that lock into place on each side when you turn the handle. Some holes holding the center handle had also grown larger, and the screws kept falling out. I called around and a nice overhead door company came out and looked at it (after another company declined to come out, saying we weren't in their service area). The technician fixed everything, replaced what needed to be replaced, and it now goes up and down smoothly, like a brand-new door. It also seals well at the floor now. It still looks good, because it is white vinyl. Total cost for parts and labor was $169. The cheapest overhead garage door I could find on Home Depot's website was $319, and that did not include hardware or installation. Yay!

Old 12-02-2016, 08:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
would you mind sharing that information?

MYPOINTS.com

Old 12-02-2016, 11:05 PM

560 posts, read 599,114 times
Just bought 18 vacuum robots from Kohls.com with a very very rare 50% coupon.

out of pocket cost of robot 145 dollars. It sells on ebay for 480 dollars...

So although I spent quite a bit of money today ... i will be making a good chunk of money on this little arbitrage with no risk at all!!

What doesnt sell i can always return it to the store

Old 12-03-2016, 03:45 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
Saved $30 by going to the state park on free day.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Mypoints is legit- they've been around since the first wave of rebates/rewards programs in the early 00s. They were recently bought by Swagucks, which I've also had good luck with.

If you've got a smartphone, I've also had reasonable luck with Checkpoints, which gives you points for scanning the bar codes of items in the grocery store (the big food companies want to expose you to new product offerings) and lets you redeem them for Amazon gift cards, frequent flyer miles, etc.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:05 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Our 20-year-old overhead garage door (not the automatic kind) was in sad shape. The bottom seal was in need of replacement and one day last week, the entire locking mechanism fell off, including the metal bars that lock into place on each side when you turn the handle. Some holes holding the center handle had also grown larger, and the screws kept falling out. I called around and a nice overhead door company came out and looked at it (after another company declined to come out, saying we weren't in their service area). The technician fixed everything, replaced what needed to be replaced, and it now goes up and down smoothly, like a brand-new door. It also seals well at the floor now. It still looks good, because it is white vinyl. Total cost for parts and labor was $169. The cheapest overhead garage door I could find on Home Depot's website was $319, and that did not include hardware or installation. Yay!
Nice! Stuff like that has happened for me in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Honest people... are honest people.

My son fixes peoples computers and cars. He never gets much out of it--food, beer, trade, a little cash. When I asked him why he didn't charge at last a flat hourly rate, his answer floored me. He told me that those people need that computer or car to earn a living or get to work. Then he asks to borrow money from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living