Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,427,282 times

Advertisements

How were you frugal today? I'd like to start a thread where we can all post our daily efforts and accomplishments towards savings and frugality.

We have restructered our credit card debt with 3 credit cards. They closed out the account, and set us up on monthly payments. The interest rate was brought down from ~ 18% to ~ 7%, and all back late fees were erased! Our payments have dropped to less than half of our previous payments, and are fixed for 5 years. At least now we have a chance to stop that runaway train!

Ok, we still have a Visa and Amex, that we use for daily purchases. We are trying to keep to cash only, NO unecessary purchases. It feels good, now that we have an actual chance to get out of debt!

So, today, to be frugal" I--

did NOT purchase a pair of sunglasses on sale, they were marked down from $257 to $54---what a deal! Better deal NOT to buy

Also, past weekend, we bought a used washing machine from Craig's List for $125, instead of a new one for ~ $700+. Hey, it works fine!

Now that we have an actual chance to slay the debt dragon, being frugal feels good. Unlike before, when we felt that no matter WTH we did, that debt just grew higher and higher!

So, lets start a club---how were you frugal today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM

340 posts, read 914,451 times
Brought my lunch to work, just like every day -.-

Old 04-17-2013, 01:09 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,276,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
Brought my lunch to work, just like every day -.-
Same here!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,175,722 times
Worked from home. I try to do this 2-3 days/week.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,185,637 times
Well, I didn't drive, I'm not eating out, and I'm going to be getting two books and a CD from a local college library via Ohiolink. So that was a big cost avoidance, using the library instead of buying books.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,790,476 times
I fixed my own heat pump. The fan on my heat pump compressor stopped working last week when I turned on the system on the first hot day we had in New Jersey. Instead of calling a HVAC repair person, I opened up the control board, identified the parts that make up the fan controls (they all cost less the $200 combined) downloaded a service manual, ordered a replacement capacitor for $25 (including shipping), installed it, tested it, the system is working fine now, putting out cold air again.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,855,136 times
Hi all--

I ate breakfast at home instead of grabbing a breakfast sandwich somewhere, and I brew my coffee on a daily basis. Much, much cheaper than dropping by Five-bucks every day.

The other day I haggled the living bejeezus out of the T-Mobile sales guy for 90 minutes until I got what I wanted - no fees, a miniscule upfront payment, a lower rate (by some $25 per month) than what I was paying with Cincinnati Bell, and I even got the T-Mobile guy to eat the contract cancellation fee from the old phone company.

I was there so long that there was some fifteen people in line behind me when I was done, and when him and I shook on the deal, people in line actually started clapping.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,294,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Also, past weekend, we bought a used washing machine from Craig's List for $125, instead of a new one for ~ $700+. Hey, it works fine!
That's great, but please compare apples to apples. In another thread you stated that the washing machine you bought was a toploader, and the new one you were looking at was a front loader. You can buy a brand new, good quality top load machine with warranty for under $300.

Not saying it didn't make more sense to buy the used machine, as it probably did. But overstating the savings by comparing apples to oranges is bad form.

As for myself, I brought my lunch as I do 95% of the time. And when I stopped at a gas station on the way to work I bought a bottle of RC Cola for 99 cents rather than my usual Diet Pepsi for $1.69. But I don't really count that as I should have bought a bottle of water from home.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,498,196 times
Worked at home, saved $8 in gas (and this is for a Prius)

Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,427,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
That's great, but please compare apples to apples. In another thread you stated that the washing machine you bought was a toploader, and the new one you were looking at was a front loader. You can buy a brand new, good quality top load machine with warranty for under $300.

Not saying it didn't make more sense to buy the used machine, as it probably did. But overstating the savings by comparing apples to oranges is bad form.

As for myself, I brought my lunch as I do 95% of the time. And when I stopped at a gas station on the way to work I bought a bottle of RC Cola for 99 cents rather than my usual Diet Pepsi for $1.69. But I don't really count that as I should have bought a bottle of water from home.

Hmmmm....where did I say that? We bought a toploader, and we NEVER considered a front loader, I wouldn't have one. Ane YOu are comparing apples to oranges----we wanted an extra-large capacity, which runs about $700+ for a new one---with warranty. True, you can get a smaller machine, new, for around $300, but that's not what we were looking for.

You're the one using "bad Form", by misquoting me, and calling me out in the first place for such trivia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living