Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm sure she means that she saved the water that ran UNTIL it got hot - (I do the same)
As do most people. Better to catch it in a bucket and to use later than let it run down the drain.

If you had a LOT of flowers to water, you could put the stopper in the drain while you shower and use all that gray water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
yes, yes, sorry. I meant until the water is hot, I don't let it run down the drain, I save it for the flowers

Huh? I dont have a stopper but still - how do you get the water out of the shower, with a cup?? And watering the flowers with soapy water???

Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 PM

103 posts, read 325,890 times
Walked to work (everyday lol) and at breakfast and lunch at work!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
A couple times since the weather has warmed up I've stopped by a coffee place to get an iced coffee to take to work. Yesterday I bought one of those plastic, reusable cup/straw combos at the Dollar Tree and last night I brewed a small pot, stuck it in the refrigerator overnight, put it in my new cup with some milk and ice and saved myself $3....in perpetuity! I don't want it everyday but when I do I won't have to spend money anymore.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Huh? I dont have a stopper but still - how do you get the water out of the shower, with a cup?? And watering the flowers with soapy water???
Bail it out using the same bucket you would otherwise set underneath the showerhead to catch the water as it warms up. Soap won't hurt the flowers at all, especial since you are talking about maybe an ounce or so of soap diluted in 25 gallons of water (average 10 minute shower). It's certainly no more harmful that the chlorine and fluoride that is already in the water if you're on a municipal system.

This would really only work for a tub/shower combo. If all you have is a shower stall you probably couldn't trap enough water to make it worthwhile. Plus it would probably overflow onto the bathroom floor by the time you were done in the shower.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Made two cups of tea with one teabag....now thats a true Scot

Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Been using my friends CD's of Insanity Workout instead of buying my own for over $100!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Made two cups of tea with one teabag....now thats a true Scot
But what brand of tea do you use? I find I need TWO teabags per cup just to make a decent cup. I used to use Red Rose tea, imported from Canada, now that's a great cup of tea, with just one bag/cup! Oh, BTW, I'm Scot, too----way back in my family tree, I'm related to Mary Queen of Scots---but I try to keep my head about me

Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Watch the light usage!

Here's something I try to teach my kids---and they seem to be doing so--

don't flick on lights unecessairly. How many times do we flick on a light when we don't really need it, like as soon as we open a closet, on goes the light? Or even the bathroom, if there's light coming through the windows, and we can navigate safely, why do we automatically flip on the light? Of cours, put on a light if at all needed, but get out of the habit of automatically flicking on a light as soon as we open a door, etc.

Its impossible to figure how much this actually saves one, especially on a daily basis. but, its something, and every little bit helps!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Watch the light usage!

Here's something I try to teach my kids---and they seem to be doing so--

don't flick on lights unecessairly. How many times do we flick on a light when we don't really need it, like as soon as we open a closet, on goes the light? Or even the bathroom, if there's light coming through the windows, and we can navigate safely, why do we automatically flip on the light? Of cours, put on a light if at all needed, but get out of the habit of automatically flicking on a light as soon as we open a door, etc.

Its impossible to figure how much this actually saves one, especially on a daily basis. but, its something, and every little bit helps!
It doesn't save much with the old-style incandescent bulbs, but it would save a lot with fluorescent lights. They take a big surge of power to fire up, then very little to run once they're on.

So if you have a fluorescent light in the kitchen and are baking something in there while also doing something in another room, better to just leave the kitchen light on until you're finished in there rather than turn it on and off every time you go in there to check the oven or something. Fewer starts helps extend the life of the bulbs, too.

I also keep an LED nightlight on at night in the bathroom so if someone has to go in the middle of the night they don't have to flip on the light to see (which is a bigger deal for men than women, of course). The cost to run the LED all nigh is less than the cost to run the ceiling light for even a minute or two, plus turning on a bright light can release melatonin in your system which can make it hard to go back to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living