Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Base this on:

- Cost (laundromat, rentals in apt., etc. vs owning)
- Convenience (can wash/dry whenever you need)
- Cost of travel (nothing if you are at home, goes up if you need to travel to a laundromat or go home)
- Time (time to clean clothes)

Here's my situation:

I live in a 1 br apt, it has washer and dryer hookups. Th apt complex does not have a laudry room, they do rent washers/dryers at an additional cost of 40$/month. I wash between 1-3 loads per week (this is reduced because I only go once a week due to inconvenience, it would ideally be 2-4). I spend on average between 5-7$ per week on the laundromat, no additional energy/water bills to consider, however. I can pick up a bundle at a Sears Outlet anywhere between 500-1000 (1000, for the front loaders with energy savings). What would you do?
Okay. This is a situation where frugality gets in the way of common sense.

A good washer/dryer will last you 12-14 years. $7/week x 52 weeks a year x 12 years is = $4,368 which would pay for a new washer/dryer combination multiple times. And if you're going to be in the apartment for two years, you would have more than paid for a washer/dryer with those kinds of rental fees.

And then there's time. Every time you go to the laundromat, you have to babysit your load. Call it two hours at best. That's 110 hours a year rock bottom. Don't you value your time more than that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. This is a situation where frugality gets in the way of common sense.

A good washer/dryer will last you 12-14 years. $7/week x 52 weeks a year x 12 years is = $4,368 which would pay for a new washer/dryer combination multiple times. And if you're going to be in the apartment for two years, you would have more than paid for a washer/dryer with those kinds of rental fees.

And then there's time. Every time you go to the laundromat, you have to babysit your load. Call it two hours at best. That's 110 hours a year rock bottom. Don't you value your time more than that?
I sure as hell do, thanks. I might be moving soon, so instead of purchasing some right now I might wait and see. If I do not get this position I will buy some. I just went to the laundromat today and the entire time I was saying to myself, this is ridiculous.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I just wash my clothes in the sink.

Put clothes in hot, soapy water in the morning.........rinse when I come back. I wear mainly dark clothes, so this method is fine.......light colored clothes, YMMV.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:31 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
In College I would patronize this laundromat that would wash, dry and neatly fold all your clothes for you for around $30-40 bucks. Now that I own a home I think having your own washer and dryer is completely worth the cost. The biggest advantage is being able to do small loads now and again when you need specific things.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Base this on:

- Cost (laundromat, rentals in apt., etc. vs owning)
- Convenience (can wash/dry whenever you need)
- Cost of travel (nothing if you are at home, goes up if you need to travel to a laundromat or go home)
- Time (time to clean clothes)

Here's my situation:

I live in a 1 br apt, it has washer and dryer hookups. Th apt complex does not have a laudry room, they do rent washers/dryers at an additional cost of 40$/month. I wash between 1-3 loads per week (this is reduced because I only go once a week due to inconvenience, it would ideally be 2-4). I spend on average between 5-7$ per week on the laundromat, no additional energy/water bills to consider, however. I can pick up a bundle at a Sears Outlet anywhere between 500-1000 (1000, for the front loaders with energy savings). What would you do?
I just bought a plain Jane Kenmore set from a small Sears appliance center. It was 550, plus delivery and installation was another 50. You also have to buy the darned electrical cord for the dryer. But it was something I needed and so far working out great. It's not HE or front loader like my old set, but I was ready for a change. I feel like my clothes are fresher and cleaner since more water is involved.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:54 PM

983 posts, read 2,541,943 times
I just bought a set from Sears Outlet, just basic Amana. I don't wash a ton, but just having the W/D at home is priceless. I just can't put my cloth in the same washer with others have washed their stuff ;-).

Now to the money, basic washer and dryer will do the same job as any other washer. Just use them when you have a full load and make sure you clean the lent from the dryer vent.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Another reason for having your own washer is that when you spill something on your clothes you can wash it right away, not wait until you can get to a laundromat. That saves your clothes because the stains don't have time to set in.

But the biggest thing is the inconvenience--the time and the going out in ice and snow or heat and humidity to a stupid laundromat. Things get stolen in laundromats too if you're not looking.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,658 times
Public laundromats are a great place for throw rugs and car washing rags

I don't want other people dander and pet hair on my pjs, YUCK

Old 01-31-2014, 07:29 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
I have debated that option as well, sometimes you get great working appliances for great prices, often times you do not. I grew up in a low earning household with a large family and I recall all the issues my parents had with their washers/dryers, trying to buy used at first to save a few bucks, they had to eventually just buy new as the old ones kept breaking down, it turned out to be more costly than if they had just bought new in the first place.
If you can find a really good used appliance store like the one I use, where they repair as well as sell, the used appliances have been "gone over" by the mechanic and known problem parts replaced. So they are a really good deal.

Something to think about is if you move often - how long will you stay in this apt? Because you probably can't move a washer and dryer yourself (unless you are not going far and have at least a pickup)

Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you can find a really good used appliance store like the one I use, where they repair as well as sell, the used appliances have been "gone over" by the mechanic and known problem parts replaced. So they are a really good deal.

Something to think about is if you move often - how long will you stay in this apt? Because you probably can't move a washer and dryer yourself (unless you are not going far and have at least a pickup)
Next time I move it will be paid for by the company hiring me, movers, I don't own all that much anyways.

I could easily just sell them before I move as well, I don't see it being a huge issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living