Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:24 PM

306 posts, read 545,949 times

Advertisements

Wow! What an awesome way to live!! I'm in a tiny house too (550 sq ft), but I'm renting it and I'm here because of the relatively cheap rent ($795, includes all utilities except for gas heat and that's about $50 / month max due to the tiny space I'm in). Someday when I buy a place it will be small (under 1000 sq ft) on hopefully at least an acre, but 3 - 5 acres would be nice! I'm also hoping to have a water source on the property. Would be awesome!

I'm considering if I should get one of those 2 in 1 washer / dryer now. I have a tiny corner for it, but I'm not sure if the cost is worth the purchase (about $300 at last check) and I spend $10 month on doing laundry at the laundromat. The laundromat is pretty close by, but I have to drive as I take my books and my dog plus laundry with me, and we spend almost 2 hours there. Would be nice to have the washer and dryer in the house and not have to leave just to do laundry, plus nice not to have to decide if I can do laundry or not based on the weather, how busy the laundromat is, etc but not sure if the $300+ for the washer-dryer combo vs $120 per year in laundromat costs is even a comparison ? I see myself in this tiny space for another year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I live in a certifiable Tiny House. Under 700 sf. (By choice; I have close to an acre of land attached.)

I have washer and dryer hook-ups but prefer to use the laundry/mudroom space for shelving and storage instead. Shortly after buying this house I became friendly with a neighbor. She is on an extremely limited income but has a washer and dryer. I pay her a couple of bucks per load and pay for detergent and softener - I drop laundry at her doorstep on my way to work and it's ready at the end of the day - and really it's a win-win for both of us.

She makes extra money every month and she can truly use it. I am relieved of the hassle and space required to buy, house, maintain and operate laundry equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:53 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default You should do some more research

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
I'm considering if I should get one of those 2 in 1 washer / dryer now. I have a tiny corner for it, but I'm not sure if the cost is worth the purchase (about $300 at last check)
Washer Dryer Combos - All in One Washer Dryer

Laundry : Washer Dryer Combinations & Laundry Centers : Search : EliteAppliance.com

price range = $900-$1600

Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 PM

306 posts, read 545,949 times
Yikes!! $900 - $1600 ??? I have no idea where I saw one for "about $300"!! Must have been a used one, and boy do I wish I had purchased it!

Old 06-08-2014, 01:21 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,604 times
I have a miele washer and not the frugal choice but there built to last quote on quote 20 years. I love having my own washer and dryer since I hated sitting in the Laundromat with all them funky soap oders from people over doing let alone watching the paint dry let alone all the bratty kids sometimes is a deal breaker for me and never mind waiting in line to use a machine sometimes screw that

Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Base this on:

- Cost (laundromat, rentals in apt., etc. vs owning)
- Convenience (can wash/dry whenever you need)
- Cost of travel (nothing if you are at home, goes up if you need to travel to a laundromat or go home)
- Time (time to clean clothes)

Here's my situation:

I live in a 1 br apt, it has washer and dryer hookups. Th apt complex does not have a laudry room, they do rent washers/dryers at an additional cost of 40$/month. I wash between 1-3 loads per week (this is reduced because I only go once a week due to inconvenience, it would ideally be 2-4). I spend on average between 5-7$ per week on the laundromat, no additional energy/water bills to consider, however. I can pick up a bundle at a Sears Outlet anywhere between 500-1000 (1000, for the front loaders with energy savings). What would you do?
We live in an apartment and do about 2 loads of laundry a day.

To do laundry here is $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry. Thats $6/day x 7= $56 a week. $2688 a year. The laundry mat is about the same price, even for giant loaders. So we decided last year to get a portable washer and dryer. We ordered off Walmart. Each cost $200 upfront but pennies a month in electric. We dont pay water. I hook the washer up to the kitchen sink whenever i want and can dry whenever I want. The only time we go to the laundry mat is to wash big comforters.

We are moving into a house with washer/dryer but im keeping these because then i can do 2 loads at the same time saving time. So to answer you- GET One!

The ones we bought: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-Port...Washer/1819479 and http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-Port...P141E/28132473

Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post

To do laundry here is $1.50 to wash and $1.50 to dry. Thats $6/day x 7= $56 a week. $2688 a year. The laundry mat is about the same price, even for giant loaders. So we decided last year to get a portable washer and dryer. We ordered off Walmart. Each cost $200 upfront but pennies a month in electric. We dont pay water. I hook the washer up to the kitchen sink whenever i want and can dry whenever I want. The only time we go to the laundry mat is to wash big comforters.

We are moving into a house with washer/dryer but im keeping these because then i can do 2 loads at the same time saving time. So to answer you- GET One!

The ones we bought: Danby Portable Top Load Washer: Appliances : Walmart.com and Haier Portable Companion Electric Clothes Dryer - Walmart.com
Having sold both of these products I'm surprised they've held up for a year considering the fact that 2 loads a day in a commercial unit probably equates to 4-6 loads a day with these little guys. They're built to be that durable, being primarily manufactured for little old ladies living in cramped serior apartments, RVers who go on the road for extended trips, and minimalists who own three sets of clothes that they wash once a week.

Glad it's worked out for you, though.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 AM

983 posts, read 2,541,339 times
I bought my washer and dryer from Sears outlet and they were delivered for less than $800 for both. I like them and they have been working fine for 5 months now. The outlet has different options, some are out of the box and some are still in the box and they are discounted. I even got sears card and paying them interest free for 6 months.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
I use a pay per pound service at the Laundromat. I just drop it off and pick it up later that day. Have you considered that?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:37 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Per DAY???
Lordy.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Having sold both of these products I'm surprised they've held up for a year considering the fact that 2 loads a day in a commercial unit probably equates to 4-6 loads a day with these little guys. They're built to be that durable, being primarily manufactured for little old ladies living in cramped serior apartments, RVers who go on the road for extended trips, and minimalists who own three sets of clothes that they wash once a week.

Glad it's worked out for you, though.
it actually holds a normal load. They have held up well, no issues at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Per DAY???
Lordy.
Yep with 5 people. We use a lot of cloth materials. Cloth napkins, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living