Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
My impression is that Verizon uses CDMA technology which is incompatible with GSM phones. I will assume your iPhone 4s then is CDMA, check & verify this, which means you would then have to find a CDMA network.
from what im reading, this kind of thing may have been true in the past but with the newer iphones may not be true. I don't really know, im not a technology guy, ill be happy to keep my 3G speed but I cant downgrade my wife if I want her on board with this change.

it would be nice if they had a cricket store near me but there is just one location on my commute in a not wonderful area and its some store that deals with various wireless services. it would be nice if I could go to an AT&T store for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 02:15 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,075,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
We have been using Republic Wireless. Works great for us and is only $10 per month.
Republic is great but the only problem is you have to buy one of the phones that works with their network (both Droid) so the OPs iPhones won't work. But yes, once you have it then it's great.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Republic is great but the only problem is you have to buy one of the phones that works with their network (both Droid) so the OPs iPhones won't work. But yes, once you have it then it's great.
I don't really need my iphones to work. I can sell mine and get new ones. but it would be ideal if I could just easily switch over with what I currently have. ive been reading up on republic wireless and it sounds interesting but im a little nervous about their model (particularly that spring is the cell provider). I don't have any sprint experience. also, their plans are + tax while the cricket prices include tax. so with a few lines (you get discounts for additional lines on cricket) it seems like the price difference may not be worth what I may be sacrificing in quality.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
(particularly that spring is the cell provider).

i meant sprint not spring.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
Quote:
between me & my wife, we use just under 2GB a month. I have a 2GB plan with Verizon and don't ever go over. they send you texts when you reach certain usage so I cut back towards the end if needed.

Switching to AT&T with all new (whatever phone they give you for free which is iPhone 4S) will cost you basically:

$40 per smartphone ($25 if you bring your own)
$20 per non smartphone
$40 for 2GB data
about $5 taxes per line so probably ~$155, not a huge savings I guess, but you get AT&T service.

If you start bringing your own phones then the $40 per smartphone drops down to $25 per smartphone.

I don't think Verizon phones are compatible with AT&T or other GSM carriers, that is why people specify that it's a Verizon (or AT&T) phone when selling.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:15 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,778 times
I just switched to Cricket Wireless this weekend. $35 a month ($40 - $5 if you use auto pay) for unlimited talk, text and 2.5 GB of 4G LTE data (then throttled but still theoretically unlimited after that). No issues so far, I'm very happy and have better coverage both here in Florida and where I stay in Montana. I was even able to use the same phone I had from before by unlocking it and I'd recommend them to anyone else.

One note of caution: If you have a balance with your previous carrier that carrier may just keep the balance. I.e. I was on a $40 per month T-mobile prepaid plan but rather than put $40 in my account every month I'd put the max ($150) in every few months. Well I didn't read the fine print which apparently gives them the right to just keep all of your balance if you leave them before spending it. Lesson learned, but if anyone here has T-mobile and uses this info as the impetus to transfer to Cricket then at least I will have evened the score a bit.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:42 PM

ive actually changed our business' cell lines over to cricket. with verizon, i had 6 lines and was paying about $365 per month. with cricket, i got 5 lines and im paying 100 a month. i had to buy new phones but the monthly savings will pay for the cost of the phones in 2 months.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
I have Cricket Wireless since December and the service has been excellent. The Moto G cost $25 after rebate. Unlimited calls, text and 2.5GM of data for $35 has been a great deal.

Prior to that, I was on Republic Wireless. It was a truly MISERABLE experience. First, customer service was posting a post on a message board and hoping and waiting that you would get a useful response. The Sprint Network used by Republic is pretty weak all over the country. The phone tries to route calls through WiFi. I received many complaints from family and colleagues that the calls were cracking up and that there was a terrible;e echo on most calls.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,022 times
Quote:
so now i have checked the cricket web site for my iphone 4s and my wife's iphone 5s and it says both are comaptible and can get up to 4g lte speeds. is that really possible? it was my understanding that because i have verizon phones i would be at least limited in speed if i tried to change provider. i dont want to make the change understanding that i could move over the phones and still get high speed and then later find out that wasnt true.
I think the 4 series iPhones are 3G

Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
I think the 4 series iPhones are 3G
right now im just looking to move over my wife's samsung note 4 that she has with verizon. im stuck in her contract until october and then im moving her over to cricket. ill need to figure out if her phone will work the same. i can downgrade myself but i cant downgrade the wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living