Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:03 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I'm so interested in the Tiny House movement -- and I have been for years.

At some point in the future that's what I'd like; a tiny house somewhere that allows a high level of year-round outdoor living.

It really forces you to be a minimalist.
Yes, love tiny houses. Ok, maybe not 100 sf tiny, but would be content in 400 sf. My ideal set up would be a tiny house in the middle of 50 acres Lots of quality outdoor time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:56 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,954 times
A 'minimalist' lifestyle doesn't always have to be a conscious choice, in many cases it's necessary because of a lack of money or an unwillingness to buy something just because popular culture tells you that you just have to have it, like an IPhone or a blue ray player. I find that the older I get, the less willing I am to but things new - I frequent thrift stores and rummage sales so I am able to have some nice things, even on my very limited income. In fact, going to high-end department stores actually just pi**es me off And by high-end stores, I referring to ones that are advertised as being inexpensive, such as TJ Maxx! $65 for a purse!! I mean, really I consider myself fortunate in having grown up in serious poverty so that, if necessary, I know I can easily live without such things as indoor plumbing or microwave ovens, so I don't have far to go to be a minimalist!

Old 11-19-2014, 03:12 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Minimalist does mean tiny houses.
Minimalist does not mean cheap.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 PM

409 posts, read 484,856 times
This week my DH and I thought about what we would grab quickly in a situation such as a natural disaster. We listed the items that are really important to us and thought about the items we would need. The list included keepsakes, photos, computer, medications, minimal clothing, and important papers. We have a cat, so the cat, her litter box, and carrier were also on the list. I realized that I couldn't care less about our furniture, junk and stuff, and clothes which can easily be replaced. I do have a few kitchen items i like and use a lot that were presents, so it would be nice if I could take those, but the more sentimental items were the most important to me.

This exercise made me realize that our important papers weren't in a central area and that I need to shred a bunch of paper. Everything was too willy nilly and there is no way I could grab and go the way things are. In addition to going through my papers, I plan to centralize my keepsakes, so that I'm not searching all over the place when I have little time. I do need to do some purging and organizing, which I had planned on doing soon. Having fewer belongings makes it easier to find the ones that you really care about.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Yes, love tiny houses. Ok, maybe not 100 sf tiny, but would be content in 400 sf. My ideal set up would be a tiny house in the middle of 50 acres Lots of quality outdoor time.
'

I don't get the tiny house thing. To my way of thinking, it's a fad for young people who spend little time at home and all their time out.

I quilt, and I need room to do so. A few years back I made a quilt for my niece's wedding. She has a deep king and it ended up being as large as my dining room. Hubby sells stuff on ebay and he needs room to store his stuff.

I'm in 1000 square feet and it's well laid out so it's all useable.... and I'd love to have more space.

I also don't understand the whole grandiose declaration that stuff owns you. It's just stuff.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:52 PM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
Tiny houses are cute, but I don't think they'll become mainstream. I think they are just a fad.
My retirement plan is to sell my condo and full-time in a RV. All this minimalism is leading to this end.
I have 650 sq ft of living space now, it feels palacial

Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,880 times
Default Your Choice!

My roommate uses PaperbackSwap and LOVES it!

I think it's OK if how you handle the sentimental things is different; each person's approach will be.

If they REALLY matter to you on a deep level, then keep what you feel you want to -- and maybe cut back in other areas to balance it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Yes, absolutely agree that renting is preferable to buying everything you think you need.
I just learned about PaperbackSwap and immediately joined up. Love that idea!

I am a minimalist, but I have struggled with the sentimental family items. I agree in theory that it is the memories, not the stuff, but it has been difficult to let go of things I grew up with, e.g. grandmothers fine porcelain, the fine tablecloths we used at holidays, etc. I have given a lot away and sold some of the nicer rarer items, but now I have to decide how to handle the last remaining items that I will never use or display. In part- I have decided to keep the small items that can be packed into other furniture that I am keeping, e.g. blanket chests can be filled up not to waste the space.

I buy very little and try never to shop or go to malls- can't abide the crowds or the "signature" smells that come blasting out of some stores (I am highly fragrance sensitive). Personally, I would be happy with jeans, tees, a couple of good sweaters, and good athletic shoes, but every couple of years I have to buy LLBean Bayside pants for work. I am still wearing sweaters and coats that I bought 20 years ago- not kidding.

I try very hard to be frugal so as not to frivolously spend money. My big expenditures are perennials for my garden and the odd one-off expense.

I totally agree with the other posters who have said that- to paraphrase- the various stuff we buy allows us to hide from who we really are. There is a certain vulnerability that comes with not defining yourself with stuff; we have certain expectations of those who decorate themselves with the latest consumer fads, e.g. they must have money or be someone important, but nothing could be further from the truth. Expensive enormous houses, expensive cars, or designer clothing only mean that someone is in debt. Years ago I had a client who was an extremely wealthy man- quiet old New York wealth- and his only vehicle was a beat up old red truck and wore old worn blue jeans. Personally, I choose to live simply with my dogs and be debt free- or at least largely so.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:19 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,880 times
Default It's Not For Everyone!

Well, Tiny House living isn't for everyone, and that is OK.

If you are only at 1000sf that is hardly big by today's standards.

It's about prioritizing what REALLY matters to you, and eliminating what doesn't; it's about not being driven by consumerism and a "more is better" attitude.

There are MANY, MANY people working 60+ hours a week not to survive (while some do, I know) but to buy more "stuff", which means they need more space, and then they need to upgrade that stuff, etc -- it goes on and on. Many of them never travel, never take vacations, never see what is outside their little world, never LIVE because they are too busy working to consume.

THAT is what I want to avoid.

I work doing something I love (even though it pays me less than another profession might), live simply but have things I TRULY love and enjoy (nothing unnecessary), and want to be able to save money, and have time to enjoy food, drink, people and the world I live in.

That is what minimalism -- and even "tiny house" living -- means to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
'

I don't get the tiny house thing. To my way of thinking, it's a fad for young people who spend little time at home and all their time out.

I quilt, and I need room to do so. A few years back I made a quilt for my niece's wedding. She has a deep king and it ended up being as large as my dining room. Hubby sells stuff on ebay and he needs room to store his stuff.

I'm in 1000 square feet and it's well laid out so it's all useable.... and I'd love to have more space.

I also don't understand the whole grandiose declaration that stuff owns you. It's just stuff.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:15 PM

409 posts, read 484,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
'

I'm not a fan of the very tiny house either (under 400 sf), but I have lived in 672 sf, which was plenty of space. I'm now in just under 1,000 sf and I wouldn't want much more space than this.

I don't think it's a grandiose declaration to say that stuff owns you. I think it's more of a feeling. In my case, I think there's a point in which too much stuff overtakes my life. It becomes hard to find things, it's a chore to organize and re-organize it and try to find space for all of it. When I have less stuff I don't feel that way.

Last edited by lily4; 11-19-2014 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-20-2014, 12:51 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Hell no. I learned from Joel Osteen that if you always have a survival mode thought process, you're ALWAYS going to be in survival mode. You have to learn to have a positive thought process, let go, and know that everything is going to be okay. And it will turn out just like that. That age old saying "life is what you make of it" really is true because your reality is created by what you think and say. I don't need a minimalist lifestyle because I believe I always have more than enough to pay my bills. And I always do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living