Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 02:38 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wash one plate, before stuff dries on, under the hot water tap, just by rubbing it with your hand. Stand it in a dish drainer to dry. Save your bar soap chips to soap up your hand a little if you feel it is necessary, but actually, if you use the same plate every day, it is never necessary to wash it with soap. Each day, your meal will re-absorb yesterday's residue, before it sits long enough to do you any harm. Ditto for spoons, cooking pots, etc. Just clean them up immediately after use, before anything dries on.
I go thru a bottle of Dawn liquid like once per year, and I probably got it for less than $1 with coupons and on sale... so I don't see a big hit to my pocketbooks by actually using a little soap and getting dishes and spoons clean. I guess if you're really frugal, just lick your plates clean and save the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I use disposable plates and utensils. It's probably wasteful of me but I just prefer them.

I use a bottle of dish soap every three weeks, sometimes more than that. And I run the dishwasher every other day, or every day sometimes, depending on what I've been cooking. But I just feel unappreciated and miserable when everyone else is doing whatever they want and I'm stuck in the kitchen washing a pile of dishes, after I've already been cooking for an hour or two. So somehow the disposable plates and utensils make me a little less resentful of having to pick up after everyone.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,064 times
No, we don't even have paper plates in the house. I let my 2 dishwasher drawers take care of doing the dishes.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:58 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
We use cheap paper plates for things like sandwiches or large family get-togethers. Cheaper and environmentally friendly to reuse ceramic plates.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:25 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I rarely use paper plates -- in fact the last time I remember using them was when I moved to my current house, which was almost 3 years ago!

I am surprised at those who talk about "saving time" by not having to wash dishes. Even a sink full of dishes takes me literally 5 minutes to hand wash (I have a dishwasher but rarely use it). My kitchen window overlooks my huge and beautiful back yard (that back yard was what sold me on this house!) so I find it very restful to wash dishes, gaze at all the trees, and contemplate life.
I have heard that not running your dishwasher at least semi-often can cause it to corrode and become unusable. I do not know if that is true or not but I run mine every couple of weeks just to be sure.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I go thru a bottle of Dawn liquid like once per year, and I probably got it for less than $1 with coupons and on sale... so I don't see a big hit to my pocketbooks by actually using a little soap and getting dishes and spoons clean. I guess if you're really frugal, just lick your plates clean and save the water.
That's not the point. The point is they don't NEED to be squeaky clean. So why waste a) money on paper plates, or b) time washing china ones. The poster said he didn't want to wash one plate, and I observed that washing one plate is no big deal, as long as you are willing to minimalize. My cast iron frying pan goes years between washings.

Frugality is just like everything else -- it needs to be tempered with common sense.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:13 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
My brother does this and leaves dirty paper plates all over the house. Usually these have 'clean' ceramic plates under them. The ceramic plates all get washed, too.

I think that people who use paper plates are using lazy thinking. They still make a mess, but if you are a lazy person about cleaning your own messes then you are probably not cleaning up other things, too.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:28 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
We don't use paper plates for ourselves, but use them for the cats. I just find it easier.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I stopped buying paper plates. The more often I bought them, the more people used.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Never on a daily basis.

I absolutely use disposables when a crowd is over for a cookout. My M.O. is to enjoy my time with guests, not worry about a mounting mess to address in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living