Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
anybody else eat straight from the skillet?
LOL, yes. One thing is for certain; I have to eat a juicy ripe peach over the sink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

I never used to even own a paper plate or plastic silverware until I did some events, (demos) the event plates, they stayed in boxes for a couple of years, I gave some away and recently decided (after moving) to use them...And the marked down plates, I liked how they looked, like easter and xmas plates....but I understand what you are all saying...

If you had leftover paper plates and plastic silverware, what would you use them for? Or would you donate them?
Save them for emergencies or picnics... or something.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
anybody else eat straight from the skillet?
Ooh, me, me, me! I do that!!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:36 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
A question for the people saying that they don't want to waste the time washing a plate.

You'll still have a knife, fork, chopping board, pots, sharp knife, kitchen bench, table, glass etc to wash, does the plate really make that much difference?
Depending on what I am eating, I won't have a chopping board or pots or a sharp knife or a counter or a table or a glass to wash.

Let's say I make a sandwich. Take paper plate out and place on counter, open bread and place on plate. Open bottle of squirtable mustard and squirt on bread. Open package of ham and choose slice. Place on bread. Open package of cheese and place on ham. Open package of lettuce and place leaf on cheese. Open bottle of squirtable mayo and squirt on lettuce. Place second slice of bread on all. Open bowl of grapes and choose some to place on plate. Sit on couch and eat. Toss plate and grape sticks. No dishes!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:45 PM

I'd eat something like ham and cheese with just a napkin. A drippy sandwich needs a plate.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:07 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

I never used to even own a paper plate or plastic silverware until I did some events, (demos) the event plates, they stayed in boxes for a couple of years, I gave some away and recently decided (after moving) to use them...And the marked down plates, I liked how they looked, like easter and xmas plates....but I understand what you are all saying...

If you had leftover paper plates and plastic silverware, what would you use them for? Or would you donate them?
It's great to keep a plastic knife on hand for skimming the edges of sticky baked goods in non stick pans. Also for cutting things in a non stick pan...

Old 04-26-2015, 09:56 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I mainly eat out of whatever I cooked the meal in.........frying-pan, crockpot, broiling-pan.

Call me a slob, but it saves on meal-prep and cleanup!

Old 04-27-2015, 03:08 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wash one plate, before stuff dries on, under the hot water tap, just by rubbing it with your hand. Stand it in a dish drainer to dry. Save your bar soap chips to soap up your hand a little if you feel it is necessary, but actually, if you use the same plate every day, it is never necessary to wash it with soap. Each day, your meal will re-absorb yesterday's residue, before it sits long enough to do you any harm. Ditto for spoons, cooking pots, etc. Just clean them up immediately after use, before anything dries on.
That's disgusting!

Joking aside, I really can't fathom how so many people in this thread think that washing a couple dishes is too much work. Seriously... How lazy are you? If washing a couple plates is too much of a chore, it really makes me wonder how vile some of their bathrooms must be!

Old 05-20-2015, 07:52 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
I am sad to say I use paper plates all the time. No dishwasher and counter space equals 2 X 2 feet and the drain takes up most of it. It is easier to move an empty drain into another room so I can increase the counter to use.

I have plenty of dishes to do without plates (and plates are easy to do). I use them for kitty's wet food too, keeping her dishes clean after each use is where I fail.

I'm not as bad on the cups though or flatware.

I wish I never wasted anything (money and materials in this case) but I live in a tiny place without much use of resources and walk to work most days instead of running my car. The p.plates is something I've been unable to give up although I tried for a bit.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:13 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
I live in a town in California where 800 wells have gone dry with this 4 year drought. When you're hauling water in 50/gal barrels to your house, you tend to use that H2O frugally and washing dishes is not frugal in this case. Rather, you tend to use the water for flushing the toilet and bathing your children, not dishes. Lots of paper plates being used around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living