Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:09 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times

Advertisements

Congrats for cutting your cable!

Here is a good site for finding out exactly where the TV stations are located in your area:

TV Fool

That might help you iron out some the reception problems that you will run into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:11 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I take it back. We have a separate (Linksys) router. Our modem is this one: Amazon.com: Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J: Computers & Accessories

Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Check with the internet provider for modem/router requirements, so you order he correct one.
Rooftop/attic antennas work better than small in house units. Directional antennas are preferred to omnidirectional unless towers are spread around you.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:27 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Here's the antenna you want : Winegard HD 7694P. I get around 70 over-the-air channels, crystal clear. Mine was $80 + tax & shipping. They make 2 models that are stronger, the 95P & 96P. I live in fairly flat terrain but with a lot of trees and some tall buildings. Over the air TV is so much more clear than cable it's unbelievable ! As far as internet, I subscribe to Clear wireless, it's $30/mo unlimited usage, I paid $99 for the modem. No other fees ! I don't know if Clear is in your area but you can check it out online.
Sprint just purchased Clear so I heard it's gone in November. Too bad because it was a great service.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:36 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
I'd love to cut comcast TV and just pay for the net as they are good with speed and reliable. I own my modem but my bill is still over 200 a month. I'd buy a smart TV and just just pay the net fee which i IDT is that bad for all it can offer one.

However i have an elderly mother who loves some shows that comcast provides and pay the rate. I would never deny her the shows she likes and so i pay the freight.

It's excessive but sometimes your caught between a rock and a hard place.

I also think it's cool that people cut all ties to comcast if that's what they choose.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
You can buy older Motorola cable modems on eBay for around $10-$12 shipped. I have an old one from, Comcast I believe even (back in 2003). I didn't buy it, when I moved I just took it, I thought it was part of the install fee. I use it with Time Warner services now. I get 15 mbps service with it, not too bad for a $10 modem. TWC wants $6/month to "rent" it. What a rip off.

Yes, more expensive modems can handle higher speeds but from my search my cheapie modem will do up to 50 mbps. If your plan isn't that fast why bother with a $100 modem?

Congrats on cutting the cable. I'm looking into antennas as of two days ago for us. We're gonna go with an attic mounted one I think. It'll save >$700/yr, pretax income that's well over $1k/yr saved. Incredible.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:53 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Do you have a DOCISS 3.0 and is it backwards compatible?
Technically you only need DOCSISS 3.0 for speeds above 25 mbps. Given your slow speeds you can get away with 2.0

That said it is stupid to purchase a new modem with only DOCSIS 2.0 as they can last for 10 years. It isn't smart to buy one that is already obsolete. However, if you are shopping around for a used modem for dirt cheap, then buy DOCSIS 2.0 just to tide you over until you move.

Check what stations you can theoretically receive before spending money on a fancy HD antenna. In my cases I could by a $300 antenna and mount it on a 100' tower, and I still won't get ABC, CBS, and NBC. The intervening hills are just too high.

If you don't have reception, but you do have a friend or relative who lives near good reception you can buy equipment where you can tune into his/her channels via the internet. There are a number of options here, but SimpleTV is one of them. As this option requires a few hundred dollars in investment you have to consider it as payback for the cable service you are saving ($40/month *12 months = $380/yr).

Old 06-03-2015, 06:00 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Technically you only need DOCSISS 3.0 for speeds above 25 mbps. Given your slow speeds you can get away with 2.0

That said it is stupid to purchase a new modem with only DOCSIS 2.0 as they can last for 10 years. It isn't smart to buy one that is already obsolete. However, if you are shopping around for a used modem for dirt cheap, then buy DOCSIS 2.0 just to tide you over until you move.

Check what stations you can theoretically receive before spending money on a fancy HD antenna. In my cases I could by a $300 antenna and mount it on a 100' tower, and I still won't get ABC, CBS, and NBC. The intervening hills are just too high.

If you don't have reception, but you do have a friend or relative who lives near good reception you can buy equipment where you can tune into his/her channels via the internet. There are a number of options here, but SimpleTV is one of them. As this option requires a few hundred dollars in investment you have to consider it as payback for the cable service you are saving ($40/month *12 months = $380/yr).
I'm using an inside mount one now. Just bought a $10 RCA one at Walmart, I know they have a liberal return policy so I am gonna get a better indoor one with over 25 mile range.

South Florida is flat and there are not many high buildings around me, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:04 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I'd love to cut comcast TV and just pay for the net as they are good with speed and reliable. I own my modem but my bill is still over 200 a month. I'd buy a smart TV and just just pay the net fee which i IDT is that bad for all it can offer one.

However i have an elderly mother who loves some shows that comcast provides and pay the rate. I would never deny her the shows she likes and so i pay the freight.

It's excessive but sometimes your caught between a rock and a hard place.

I also think it's cool that people cut all ties to comcast if that's what they choose.
I watch very little TV, I kept it because I had a decent deal and plus in case my father decided to visit from out of state, which he didn't.

I have my computer connected to my TV and I can watch any show that I want online and the commercials are edited out. The site is called All Shows Daily and it's ASDL.US

Old 06-03-2015, 06:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I watch very little TV, I kept it because I had a decent deal and plus in case my father decided to visit from out of state, which he didn't.

I have my computer connected to my TV and I can watch any show that I want online and the commercials are edited out. The site is called All Shows Daily and it's ASDL.US
Thanks for the info as i hook up my laptop to my TV sometimes but didn't know about that site..cool

I have a large laptop and use Netflix mostly for what i want to watch. I'm hooked up with a friends account and don't pay directly for the service. Thanks for the info as I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living