Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Does anybody use rechargeable batteries? I recently bought a battery charger and a pack of AA rechargeable batteries. The batteries are a generic brand, BTY.

The problem, using them in devices that I normally change out regular Duracell batteries every two months I'm having to recharge these batteries every two days.

Right now I have stopped using them and gone back to the Duracell batteries. I’m wondering if I buy a pack of Duracell rechargeable batteries, can I expect the performance to be similar to the performance of the regular Duracell batteries, or if I would still have to be recharging them every other day.

So does anybody have experience with rechargeable batteries? Is my problem, cheap batteries, or is it just the nature of rechargeable batteries that the charge only lasts a couple of days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 11:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
There is something wron with your batteries. Rechargeables may not last as long as regular, but they should last weeks.

I have used rechargeables in wireless Xbox controllers and they last a few weeks and those controllers use way more power than many AA devices.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,687 times
I use rechargeable batteries in my remote controls. Your right, they don't last very long and they are not recommended for any of my LED flashlights. The voltage is 1.2 instead of a normal battery being at 1.5. You can't really use them for high drain devices without recharging frequently. I'm already invested in a lot of rechargeable batteries but if I was starting again, I probably wouldn't do it. Too many limitations. The one nice thing, is that i never had a rechargeable battery leak and damage any devices. I've had a number of alkaline batteries leak.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:17 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Maybe it also depends what you're using them in. I have a rechargeable in my alarm clock and I can't even remember the last time I changed it. I use rechargeables in my camera and when I'm taking a lot of pictures I'm changing the batteries every few days.

I use Duracells and if you're seeing a difference between name brand and generic then that's probably the problem.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:18 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,236,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There is something wron with your batteries. Rechargeables may not last as long as regular, but they should last weeks.

I have used rechargeables in wireless Xbox controllers and they last a few weeks and those controllers use way more power than many AA devices.
ABQConvict is right. Rechargeable batteries may not last as long as regular alkaline batteries, but they should last longer than you're experiencing. Rechargeable batteries are typically NiMH, which do not have the "memory issues" of the old NiCad batteries. They tend to last longer each cycle, degrade slower, and hold more capacity. However, all rechargeable batteries seem to produce less voltage than their alkaline counterparts. Thy typically produce between 1.2-1.5V and generally need to be recharged when they drop below 1.3V.

I've been using rechargeable batteries since the early 90s and have found the most success with Duracell, Eneloop, and Sony batteries. I buy them when the are on sale through Amazon, Newegg, etc and haven't had any issues. I still use alkaline batteries in my hard to access electronics, but things like remote controls, wireless keyboards/mice, weather stations, scales, holiday decor, etc, I insist on using rechargeables.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:12 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I have Duracell and Eneloop (like the Eneloop a lot and got a good deal on Amazon as I recall, I first had a set from Ritz Camera). Probably buying some no-name cheapo ones is an issue as well.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe it also depends what you're using them in. I have a rechargeable in my alarm clock and I can't even remember the last time I changed it. I use rechargeables in my camera and when I'm taking a lot of pictures I'm changing the batteries every few days.

I use Duracells and if you're seeing a difference between name brand and generic then that's probably the problem.
The main thing I have been using them in is my Apple Magic Trackpad. I’m using it all the time, but normally I only change the batteries after two plus months. Actually probably more like three plus months, Because I bought the charger and the batteries in mid-October. I tried the batteries in several devices, and they didn’t last more then two days in anything. About a week ago the batteries in my track pad were going dead, so I decided to charge up the rechargeables and try them. In less then a week I had swapped out and recharged the batteries three times, when I gave up on them. At first I thought maybe I wasn’t charging them enough. But the last couple of times I left them in the charger for two days, and took them right out and put them in the track pad. No change, they still died in two days.

I suppose the charger could be the problem, but I think it’s the cheap batteries. So I think I’m going to try and buy two Duracell StayCharged Batteries, and test them out in this charger. If I can’t get them to last longer then two days, then I’m going to give up on rechargeable batteries. Because swapping batteries out every two days is just not worth the trouble.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
ABQConvict is right. Rechargeable batteries may not last as long as regular alkaline batteries, but they should last longer than you're experiencing. Rechargeable batteries are typically NiMH, which do not have the "memory issues" of the old NiCad batteries. They tend to last longer each cycle, degrade slower, and hold more capacity. However, all rechargeable batteries seem to produce less voltage than their alkaline counterparts. Thy typically produce between 1.2-1.5V and generally need to be recharged when they drop below 1.3V.

I've been using rechargeable batteries since the early 90s and have found the most success with Duracell, Eneloop, and Sony batteries. I buy them when the are on sale through Amazon, Newegg, etc and haven't had any issues. I still use alkaline batteries in my hard to access electronics, but things like remote controls, wireless keyboards/mice, weather stations, scales, holiday decor, etc, I insist on using rechargeables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have Duracell and Eneloop (like the Eneloop a lot and got a good deal on Amazon as I recall, I first had a set from Ritz Camera). Probably buying some no-name cheapo ones is an issue as well.
I think you guys might be right. I’m going to buy two Duracell StayCharged Batteries, and see how they work.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 01-03-2016 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
I use rechargeable batteries in my remote controls. Your right, they don't last very long and they are not recommended for any of my LED flashlights. The voltage is 1.2 instead of a normal battery being at 1.5. You can't really use them for high drain devices without recharging frequently. I'm already invested in a lot of rechargeable batteries but if I was starting again, I probably wouldn't do it. Too many limitations. The one nice thing, is that i never had a rechargeable battery leak and damage any devices. I've had a number of alkaline batteries leak.
You have to be careful and not leave alkaline batteries sit for too long. I have had some alkaline batteries leak. But that was when I left them sit in unused remote controls for several years. I don’t do that any more. If I’m not using something I always take the batteries out. Otherwise I have never had a problem with alkaline batteries.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I use "Eneloop" AA rechargeable batteries in my camera and in my mouse - I love them! I had to get an all surface mouse because I have a glass top desk and the mouse eats regular batteries in about 2 weeks, my rechargeable's last longer than the regular alkaline batteries did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living