Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:46 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,628 times

Advertisements

Old world saying is that good health comes thru the mouth, in oder words watch what you eat and eat healthy.
Saving on food and going shoping in those discount stores is worst thing you can do to your self and your health.

Never save on food quality, eat organic produce as much as possible, stay away from products in the bag, like chips and etc. Eath fresh vegetables, fruits, wild caught fish, ( stay away from farmed fish, eath organic veggies and fruits ), nuts, drink fresh juices, eath garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper.

Save and live frugal on everything else if you want, but don't do it on food quality. Buy only quality food and stay away from proceseed foods if you want to avoid Cancer in the future.

Good Luck!!!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:49 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Buy only quality food and stay away from proceseed foods if you want to avoid Cancer in the future.
Sorry to interrupt your diatribe, but people who buy quality and stay away from processed foods get cancer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Saving on food and going shoping in those discount stores is worst thing you can do to your self and your health.
So buying organic things at ALDI are "worst thing you can do to your self and your health"??? I do not believe that for a second!

Old 08-31-2016, 01:40 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
Food quality is important for me. That's one of the reason why I love to shop at the discount grocery stores Aldi and Lidl. Frightening how often very expensive name brands achieve very bad or just mediocre test results.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:36 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,813 times
Organic is not safer than non-organic. This is a myth. Just because they use "natural compounds" for organic food, please realize the amount of these natural compounds they use is in very high levels and not safe for human consumption either.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:18 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Organic is not safer than non-organic. This is a myth. Just because they use "natural compounds" for organic food, please realize the amount of these natural compounds they use is in very high levels and not safe for human consumption either.
If you check the FDA food recalls...organics are four to five times more often subject to recall!!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:54 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
We try to focus mostly on Local and Organic foods.

My wife recently retired from working as the Produce Manager at a nearby Federal grocery store [180 store locations worldwide, last time I looked]. Even when she was working in the store 5 days a week and she saw every sale price they had, we still got most of our groceries from local producers, often for cheaper.

Avoid the big name brands, avoid ready-to-eat, junk foods and you will be fine.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:56 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Organic is not safer than non-organic. This is a myth.
It is 'safer' in the context of less synthetic pesticides and herbicides, and petrochem fertilizers.

Quote:
... Just because they use "natural compounds" for organic food, please realize the amount of these natural compounds they use is in very high levels and not safe for human consumption either.
'very high levels' ?

So high as to become bad for humans? That is myth too.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
"Organic" has come to mean "probably better quality." Not always, but often. Want carrots wider than your baby finger? In most stores of late, you'll only see them in the organic aisle - for $2.50 a lb; but they're there. It has nothing to do with nutrition or contamination - free living. That's why they named it "organic." A good term which really denotes nothing special. Most fertilizers, all pesticides, and even the most hormone-laden feed has carbon-containing chemicals in it. I think three in ten people I've asked know what the term "organic" actually means.

This quality thing is important to discriminating buyers since many foodstuffs over the past few years are of dwindling quality (even if they DO cost twice as much). Steaks in grocery stores for example, today are of poor quality, inadequate marbling, even in ribeyes. and would be graded "standard" years ago. Chickens are inadequately bled (to speed up processing) and chicken blood will disflavor all but the most overcooked bird - try frying these drumsticks or thighs without some sort of hocus-pocus preparation beforehand. Today's hamburger (despite a $5/lb price tag) is not your mother's hamburger. It doesn't even look like it.

Having snuck into the Soviet Ukraine once when attending school in Poland, I managed to see a grocery store in Lwow. Sorry to say, I see the move in that direction here. Oh...a long way to go, for sure, but believe me, everything starts somewhere. You can't just load freezers with green meat overnight and expect to get away with it.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 09-01-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-01-2016, 08:52 PM

375 posts, read 609,852 times
If you've ever signed up for FDA recall notices, you know just how often processed foods are recalled for containing everything from foreign materials and undeclared allergens to bacterial contamination. Recalls, Outbreaks & Emergencies

I like to think that locally grown food with no noxious chemical use and minimal processing is better than mass-produced, factory-farm food. Should be of better quality, possibly second only to what you grow yourself.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:35 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
I pick and eat fruit off the ground without washing.
I figure that my shirt will remove most of the dirt. And the chemical sprays didn't work too well because the fruit is blemished .
Fruit off the ground is more often sweeter (riper) than picked off the tree.

I'm going to make apple cider tomorrow at neighbors. I really want to make vinegar but you got to make cider first. She removes the coddling moth trails, I don't. She's does organic and doesn't tolerate bugs very well. I use chems and tolerate bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living