Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 11:07 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times

Advertisements

I use clippers without a guard.. Yes, I'm losing my hair, but i've done this for.. 20+ years now.

Shaving it.. I did it for a while.. But that's actually MORE high maintenance.. And I guess I'm just lazy AND cheap.. I don't want to pay for the razors and it's really annoying to me to have the velcro-like stubble after two to three days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I use clippers without a guard.. Yes, I'm losing my hair, but i've done this for.. 20+ years now.

Shaving it.. I did it for a while.. But that's actually MORE high maintenance.. And I guess I'm just lazy AND cheap.. I don't want to pay for the razors and it's really annoying to me to have the velcro-like stubble after two to three days.
Shaving is really a ton of work, expensive and the stubble tears up pillowcases. The clippers without a guard is a good look for a guy who's going bald and it's easy to do.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:05 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
My son does this. Sort of the Breaking Bad Walter White look. Bald with goatee.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:04 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,607,234 times
What do I think?
1. It's none of my business?
2. Yes, many things can be DIY and save a lot of money. Haircuts. Finger nails. Car repairs. Property maintenance. Cooking. Keep going.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:01 PM

419 posts, read 387,940 times
I started cutting my husband's hair with clippers and scissors when he was ill and couldn't leave the house. Now it has become routine. He's retired military and prefers a nice short cut anyway.

The weird thing is that sometimes he cuts my hair too. I usually only go to the salon twice a year for a cut. They layer it nicely, and as it grows out, I have hubby trim the length. He has a great eye for it. It gives me a few somewhat different looks -- shorter layers growing into longer layers -- that way.

My grandmother always cut my grandfather's hair, my mother always cut my father's hair, and our friends always cut each other's hair. Some of that was due to growing up on a farm where it was the way of things.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
The thought causes me to want to put on a hat.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:09 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I posted elsewhere that I started cutting my hair at home.

I was sick of being pressured by hair stylists to buy expensive hair products, while I sat in the chair when they cut my hair. They would go on and on about how great an expensive hair conditioner was ($50 for one bottle), and then set down the bottle in front of me, sometimes even adding it onto my bill without telling me, and I'd have to ask them to take it off. Then they'd go into a spiel about "but your hair is in terrible condition and you're using those drugstore products that are bad for your hair". Now they can all go to hell because I'm not giving them money anymore for even the haircut. I'm cutting it at home. I just got sick of listening to the same spiel from all of them.
Eh...go to a different salon...no reason to cut off your nose (hair) to spite your face (hairdresser)!

Old 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
So your friend has decided not to spend 50 cents per day on a haircut. Is the extra $15 dollar a month by not getting a haircut being saved or being spent somewhere else?

From my perspective, if you are just going to use the clippers and buzz your hair then I would not even bother going to a barber or salon. You can do that yourself or have someone else do that. I personally don't like the buzz cut on my hair. It looks awful. Some people look good with that short, buzzed look. Some don't.

Now my hair is thick and can be unmanageable at times. I can use the clippers set at 2 or 3 on the sides and the back. It is the top part that I prefer to have the stylist use a shears. If I want to take the time and effort, I could cut my own hair, but what is my time worth? Will I do a good job? There are some many angles and hard to reach spots that most likely I would screw my hair up.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:07 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I was assigned onto my first sub in 1978, after a couple years, I volunteered to be one of the ship's barbers. I was given a professional barber kit with hair clippers and a selection of cutting heads for it. There were a few of us volunteers, so any individual barber only had to cut 20 or 30 heads a week in our spare time. It was not a bad gig, and after a few years I was not terrible at it. Each different cutting head is set for a specific length. One of those was set for 1/2" which is perfect for Navy regulation beards. Since I wore a full beard anyway, it was very easy for me to keep my beard exactly at the proper length.

I brought my barber kit with me onto each sub I served on, thru the 80s and 90s, until I retired in 2001.

For myself, I prefer using 1/4" clippers. I can do my own head less than a minute.

I cut the hair of our sons, and I cut my wife's hair [her hair is only trimmed once every 5 years].

Twice in my life I have allowed females to cut my hair. Both times they promised to leave my beard alone. Both times they ended up 'trimming' my beard, then upset that my beard was not even, trim, trim, trim, and it ended up with me being clean shaved.

It has been many years since I sat in a barber's chair.

I will never allow a female to cut my hair ever again.

When I have been required to be shaven, I use a straight razor. One $6 straight razor will last your entire lifetime.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:40 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
"It was not a bad gig, and after a few years I was not terrible at it."

This is seriously funny. I have a cramp because I'm laughing so hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living