Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:54 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times

Advertisements

Lol @ SportyandMisty...as crazy as it seems, though, I kinda get it.

I live in a very small town (1300 people) about 15 mins from "town." I'm not one to go out in yoga pants or whatnot much, but I will run into our small Dollar General in such if I'm just picking up something quick. I always make sure I'm properly dressed and made up before I go to "town," though, even if I'm only planning on going to Walmart. That's because I'm probably only going to encounter 2 or 3 people at Dollar General and will be in and out in minutes but am liable to see everyone I know if I go to Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 11:00 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You must have gotten a weird bad bag. I get mostly peppers mixed with onions. And a nice mix of red, green and yellow. I eat a lot of peppers and onions, and by the time I buy them, cut them up and freeze them, it's not cheaper than just buying these from the Dollar Tree. Bummer you got a bad batch.

That is good to know, I will give it another try. fresh peppers can be pricey.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
That is good to know, I will give it another try. fresh peppers can be pricey.
Agree! Hope you have better luck :-)

Old 05-23-2017, 07:57 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Super-glue in the plastic bottles (I never buy those stupidly-messy, metal squeeze-tubes).

Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 PM

844 posts, read 1,442,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ammonia for when the skunks come around.
Fabulosa..put some in the toilet and the whole house smells great! Not the orange, haha!
$1 reading glasses.
10 Pack of surgical gloves $1
Parchment paper
Glad you use it on your toliet and not the floor...because FABULOSA doesn't disinfect it just smells good.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Seasonal purchases this year:

Hat, mittens (last year's gloves were downsized this year to itsy-bitsy mittens), umbrella.

Non-seasonal purchases include reading glasses - plastic frame glasses last a few months and then arms break; metal frame glasses last forever without arms breaking - aspirin, trash bags, bleach, laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, electrical tape, sponges, washcloths, food storage (the Betty Crocker 2 * 1280 ml packs are the best deal and also good quality), sourdough bread (this specific bread sells out in about two days and thus is rarely in stock), 32 oz frozen french fries (where/when available - most stores in my area appear to no longer carry this, but my local WinCo (West Coast regional supermarket) carries the same brand for 98 cents).

I won't buy dishes there because I don't want to get lead (or other bad substances) in my food,

Old 05-24-2017, 01:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I found one pair of reading glasses I liked (until they busted) and stocked up on one stain-removal product that is not so easy to find locally anymore. It was great to get 20 for $20! I also bought a set of four Coca-Cola glasses there once; I still use them. If a dollar store was closer to me I'd probably stop in more; as it is, I might stop in if I happen to be near one and have the time.

The metal frame glasses last indefinitely without busting. DT used to stock 90% plastic frame - the ones that break easily - and 10% metal frame glasses, now they stock a lot more metal frames than they used to, so they're always in stock, plus since the metal frame glasses don't break, I have not needed to get a new pair.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:28 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
I also need to endorse another LA's Totally Awesome product sold at Dollar Tree:

LA's Totally Awesome Laundry Stain Remover is also the single most effective product in its class.

As is my wont, I managed to spill barbecue sauce on my white dress shirt when I was out last night. This on top of a coffee spill I had that morning, most of which I'd gotten out by blotting it with soap and water once I got to the office.

I got home that night and sprayed the laundry stain remover on both stains. They vanished right before my eyes as I rubbed them.

Try doing that with Shout.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:31 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC
Many people assume that all products from Dollar Tree are subpar. I've been a Dollar Tree shopper for years, some of the products sold at DT are good quality.
Yes I agree with you!

They must lose alot of $$$$$$$ selling most things for $1 there!

Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes I agree with you!

They must lose alot of $$$$$$$ selling most things for $1 there!
I assume it's like a supermarket, the only difference being the markup they keep on the other things they also sell for $1. Then again, they have no "promotional prices," so I'll wager that most of what they sell has a margin built in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living