Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 05:14 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,666,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
You could have a faux foreign trip!

Go to the library and find a Rick Steves' Europe CD collection. Let's say Italy. Get the Italy CD collection. Then look at some Italian recipes. Stop at the store and get the ingredients, as well as the appropriate wine. Make and eat dinner. Watch the CDs.

If you have children and want to take this concept further, you could check out an Italian language CD and try speaking Italian to each other after dinner. You could also do some related art or craft projects.
Take it one step further and use google maps to do some virtual "sightseeing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:09 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
do it like the olden days, find an empty space and have sex
Lol! I was waiting for someone to suggest this.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I also like hiking in the mountains, just 20 minutes away for me. I love being outside, I'm happy just reading a book in the backyard in the sunshine.

We did do a quick, frugal trip to the beach last week. 3 days, 2 nights, hotel and gas split 3 ways, including a free night from a rewards program was $70.
That is good.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:18 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I will be unable to travel for the foreseeable future. It is not financially feasible at the moment. I am looking for inexpensive ways to have fun. I have decided to do a day trip to Washington DC and go to the museum and perhaps the zoo. The trip will be $169 as opposed to over $1000. The museum is free and the zoo is $10.00.

What do you do for fun and how much does it cost?
A friend of mine took her kids to DC for an overnight trip. She said the best part of DC was that most everything was free as it was government and open to the public. You might want to consider staying overnight if its a long trip.

Use every discount you can. We use AAA, AARP, govt employee discount, whatever works!

Just a word to the wise, OP--watch out for high prices of snacks, eats, water, etc. You might want to invest in a Yeti bottle and take cold water with you and fill up as you need. Cheaper and better for you! Enjoy the trip!

Old 05-30-2017, 06:49 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,343 times
I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains and I LOVE driving on these beautiful country roads with the top down and the music turned up! It is so gorgeous....I never get tired of it

Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
We went to DC on a trip a few years back. Bottled water was $3 a bottle. Food was expensive even for McDonalds. We were there over Memorial Day holiday. Hotels were expensive. We stayed in Baltimore within walking distance of the Metro. Lots of walking. The trip was worth it. There is a lot to see for free. It was a great experience. The movie "Night at the Museum" had been out for a year or two at that point. The kids loved seeing the Museum of Natural History. If you have kids, I'd have a couple of movie nights at home to watch the movie and a sequel or two and then go to the actual museum. I think it made it more fun for the younger crowd.

That reminds me. We have moved several times. We like to watch movies made around the areas we have lived or visited. These movies have usually been out for a while so they aren't real expensive to rent or buy. Those can be some really fun movie nights. It's a lot of fun to incorporate the movie into conversations the next time you visit those landmarks.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 05-30-2017 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Another idea

Old 05-31-2017, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
We live in an area where there are so many free things to do, other than spending money to eat out once in awhile, we rarely spend much, if anything on entertainment. One thing we love is our summer free concerts in the park. Even with all the people there we always see someone we know. Another fun activity is just to walk around the summer farmers markets. You don't have to spend a penny, but just being in the fresh air and seeing what is available is fun, healthy and a good outdoor activity. Take advantage of the local library and sign up for a class related to something you enjoy doing.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:59 AM

422 posts, read 523,345 times
Join one of the country's major museums...Generally they give free access to museums all over the country.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
A friend of mine took her kids to DC for an overnight trip. She said the best part of DC was that most everything was free as it was government and open to the public. You might want to consider staying overnight if its a long trip.

Use every discount you can. We use AAA, AARP, govt employee discount, whatever works!

Just a word to the wise, OP--watch out for high prices of snacks, eats, water, etc. You might want to invest in a Yeti bottle and take cold water with you and fill up as you need. Cheaper and better for you! Enjoy the trip!
Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
We travel a lot (Very cheap)

Travel worldwide for $free to $20 / night (for entire family) Been doing it for 27+ yrs. (all of last yr) Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel
Drive a $35 car that gets 50 mpg on free waste cooking oil (since 1976)
Stealthcamp (fairgrounds, parks, free camping com, hospitals, BLM...)
Work on farms and camps for free room and board (worldwide)
Volunteer with local parks service
Volunteer usher at favorite venues
Volunteer at food festivals and soup kitchens
Backpack
Neighborhood international potlucks
Barn Raising parties (Building barns with Amish or Mennonites) worldwide
Disaster relief (not always fun, but always rewarding).
Offer to drive moving truck for people that are traveling across country. (Did that 5x, for free ticket home)
Volunteer at an animal rehab center, or an Animal 'companion program' (horses for the handicapped...)
Start a 'community' Drama event. (Local towns do annual Melodrama fundraiser)
as a family, we found it very fun to assist older farm families / senior couples. They are VERY fun! and know lots of Frugal fun things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living