Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:09 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Ok, OP, if you are still reading:

I just came from Aldi, a grandma, daughter and grandbaby in front of me had a LOADED cart, stacked over the top. They had, among other things: diapers, dog food, laundry detergent, cat food, tp, paper towels, a 24 pk of h2o bottles, 2 gals milk, and a whole bunch of food. Their total for an overfull cart? $131.28.

I myself bought: a dozen eggs $0.67, 2 lbs of deli meat@ 3.19/ pound, 3 boxes cereal, 1 pound butter, 1/2 gallon of almond milk, 2 cans cat food,bag chips and loaf bread...and spent only $17. That was what was on my weekly list to supplement what we already have.

Your peanut butter? How about 2 1/2 pound jar for $2.89, the regular little jars are $1.39.

I do hope you check them out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:25 AM

510 posts, read 500,374 times
I am sure many people will have suggested this so I will add my own kindle to the fire.

1. Make your own yogurt with a gallon of milk and a heating pad. There a tons of online recipes, so take a pick.

2. Don't buy shredded cheese/pre sliced anything. Do it yourself. Yes I know its convenient but that convenience comes with an inflated price tag.

3. Reduce your bread products to a loaf or two of bread and maybe 1 pack of English muffins or some bagels.

4. Get rid of the insta-rice and cook real rice. If you have a crock pot they might have a rice cooker option.

5. Make your own marinade. 99% of the time you already own the spices. Also check the spices you need BEFORE you go to the store. There is no way you need to buy a new spice every week. People usually cook the same 10 recipes over and over again

Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
RunD:

Please DO Check out Aldi.

This week's flyer:
Cantaloupe: $1.29 each!
Pure Aqua24 pack water: $2.29
Sundae shop ice cream 4.5 quarts for a $4.29(that's a lot of ice cream if you like it)

Fusia stir fry Frozen dinner for two 32 oz frozen for $2.29.
Canned veggies are usually.59 a can.
Coffee is $3.69 / bag.
Milk is like .79 a gallon or a dollar a gallon.
Bagged salad mix is .69 or 1.69 for ceasar sald mix package.
Head lettuce.39 a head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I. Their total for an overfull cart? $131.28.

These quoted prices from Aldi prove that it completely matters where you live and not just what store you go to. Aldi is cheaper than the grocery store. I shop at it all the time, but my prices are NOT anywhere near this cheap.

Eggs on sale at mine are $1.29. A head of lettuce is never below 99c. Canned veggies are 99c for 2 varieties (beets and something else I don't eat) and $1.29 for the others. A gallon of milk is over $2.00, though I don't buy it.

I spend about $120 every time I go there for a cart that's maybe 3/4 full.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:19 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
These quoted prices from Aldi prove that it completely matters where you live and not just what store you go to. Aldi is cheaper than the grocery store. I shop at it all the time, but my prices are NOT anywhere near this cheap.

Eggs on sale at mine are $1.29. A head of lettuce is never below 99c. Canned veggies are 99c for 2 varieties (beets and something else I don't eat) and $1.29 for the others. A gallon of milk is over $2.00, though I don't buy it.

I spend about $120 every time I go there for a cart that's maybe 3/4 full.

I know that, but he said he lives in the general North East. I live in the general North East too. NYC, 3 hours away, if they have Aldi, I'm sure the Aldi price would be two or three times HIGHER.

Sure it depends on where you live, but I'm sure your general grocery stores are way above ours here too if you live in higher col area. That's why YOU shop at Aldi too.

Lol, I'm also near farm country. Dairy is cheaper here because it doesn't have far to go. Other farms produce produce of all kinds too.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:43 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Get the veggie burgers at Dollar Tree, you get 2 in a box for a buck. That is less than half of what you currently pay. You could also cook your beans from scratch & save some money, likewise the hummus, but that is a lot of time in the kitchen, not sure if that appeals to you.

You can cook a big pot of beans & freeze it in meal or can size bags, so you have beans ready to go when you need them, instead of opening a can. Cooking a big pot & portioning it out, also saves time, as well as money.
Those burgers are made in Bangladesh and they taste horrible...no telling whats in them.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:30 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Those burgers are made in Bangladesh and they taste horrible...no telling whats in them.
They do have a curry like flavor, but I like it. Of course, curry flavor is not for everyone. As far as what is in it, I can see carrots & corn & I do not nit pick my food, or I would not be able to eat anything.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:24 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Of course, curry flavor is not for everyone. As far as what is in it, I can see carrots & corn & I do not nit pick my food, or I would not be able to eat anything.
woah evening sun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living