Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times

Advertisements

I am sooooooo glad that I don't torture myself on saving pennies such as this. I just think about what I've saved in not buying new cars and traveling wisely, etc. and think that I've saved more than what I would have with scraping out 10,000 sticks of deodorant.

Thanks for making my day, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have cut open toothpaste tubes, scraped out the last bit of stick deodorant to meld on top of the new one (doesn't work very well). I generally don't do those things anymore.

I will add water to the last bit of laundry detergent - no need to waste it because the bottles are poorly designed, same with dish soap.

With lotions that come in a tube, when you get near the end, cut off the crimped end about 1" down. Then you can scoop out what is left and use the cut off piece as a cap. You can keep trimming the tube and the "cap" will still fit on it. Worth doing for tubes because there is usually quite a bit left after you can't squeeze any more out.
I ended up with a raging case of excema all over my body in large patches. The medicine wasn’t working anymore. So I had to make changes. I switched from Tide to Seventh Generation. In three weeks, it was gone.

I hate the machinations of getting that last little bit of detergent out, so I had switched to pods, and after I switched detergent found that Seventh Generation has pods, too. I buy the ones at Target, they seem to be the only one that carries the extra cleaning power ones.

And weird. They’re powder.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My dad became allergic to whatever was in deodorants, and had to stop using them. It took a couple of weeks, but his rashes went away. He used shower to shower powder.

No one but the family knew about it, he didn’t become the town pariah from not using deodorant.
I haven't used an antiperspirant in years, though I do use a deodorant one in a while. I usually just use powder, too, when it's humid.

Last edited by Gerania; 04-28-2018 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-29-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I haven't used an antiperspirant in years, though I do use a deodorant one in a while. I usually just use powder, too, when it's humid.
And weirder, if I don’t use one, I get a rash. It’s like the stick also acts like an anti-chafe remedy.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:15 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
My dad became allergic to whatever was in deodorants, and had to stop using them. It took a couple of weeks, but his rashes went away. He used shower to shower powder.

No one but the family knew about it, he didn’t become the town pariah from not using deodorant.
My career field [subs] forbids the use of deodorants and anti-perspirants. Even though I have been retired a while now, I have not used either for decades.

I do not see anyone being a pariah over it.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My career field [subs] forbids the use of deodorants and anti-perspirants. Even though I have been retired a while now, I have not used either for decades.

I do not see anyone being a pariah over it.
I don’t understand the over the top reaction for not following “cultural norms”, either. It’s kind of weird. Not too long ago, men washed their very short hair with the bar soap they bathed with. And women went to the beauty shop once a week for a wash and set. Yep you washed your hair once a week. I know a woman who still does this.

A lot of things happen over the years, too. I used to shave my legs every few days. Then I hit menopause. I no longer shave my legs. There’s nothing to shave. But when I was young, I couldn’t have imagined not shaving.

I think it’s hard for younger people to think they too will change someday.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:51 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
I don’t understand the over the top reaction for not following “cultural norms”, either. It’s kind of weird. Not too long ago, men washed their very short hair with the bar soap they bathed with.
In the 1960s, 70s, 80s, all men did that.

Since I retired I have allowed my hair to grow longer.

Quote:
... And women went to the beauty shop once a week for a wash and set. Yep you washed your hair once a week. I know a woman who still does this.
My grandmothers [both of them] went to a beauty shop once a week. My sister washed her hair once a week.

My wife of 37 years washes her hair when it feels itchy. Maybe twice a month.

Quote:
... A lot of things happen over the years, too. I used to shave my legs every few days. Then I hit menopause. I no longer shave my legs. There’s nothing to shave. But when I was young, I couldn’t have imagined not shaving.

I think it’s hard for younger people to think they too will change someday.
My wife only shaved her legs when I was home visiting. When I was deployed, she didn't.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:10 PM

949 posts, read 787,620 times
I usually use anti-per that is gel that is pushed up through foil filter w/small holes in it. I've found that when no more comes up, simply turn over the container and rap it against your vanity... not too hard. Voila... the force jars some of the remaining gel down through the filter. You'll get about four more applications out of it.

For lotions, simply store the container upside down. Unscrew the top to get that last little bit out. It's worth it when it comes to expensive sunscreens and expensive contact lens solutions.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:33 PM

Also — another point. It’s my understanding that when you buy a stick of deodorant, you buy, let’s say, 2.6 ounces of product. Useable product. Doesn’t count the amount of stick that’s melded in to the plastic head that holds the product.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:43 PM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No.

I don't.

I'd rather waste an application's worth of deodorant - what does that cost, 10 cents? - than waste a minute or two of my time fiddling with crumbly deodorant that doesn't apply properly.

Life's.
Too.
Short.
when the day comes i have to resort to cutting open deodorant and tooth paste tubes i will sooner go out and get a job in retirement . if i have to do that , it speaks volumes about my financial situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living