Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:12 PM

106,605 posts, read 108,757,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and... you need to plug the 'serious' leaks, and recognize the constant drip that can be fixed for $0.02 and save you $2k over time (i.e. the dripping faucet ruining your submersible well pump after 5-10 yrs)

no i don't . i managed to grow a lot of money ( well a lot to me ) just doing what i did ,. i did better as an investor and i did not have to ride herd over the pennies .

i made sure i always had money to invest even if it meant doing some side gigs . the spending was my reward and i enjoy it . .

i wouldn't change a thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 05:30 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

I don't think that most people have a grasp of how much they are manipulated in their desires and opinions by advertisements and cultural mile markers. Every once in a while I am forced into a situation where I am exposed to what most people consider a "normal" amount of advertising and social pressure and it can send me reeling. Not my world.
that's true, but I will say that even that can have some stipulations you have to remember that "frugal" folks can exert a tone of social pressure too. great thing is, as I get older social pressure really doesn't come into play.

Actually one of the great things about being relatively frugal during most of my working life is that as I get older and closer to retirement, I don't feel bad about purchasing stuff simply for the fact that I think it's "pretty". I still try to get the best price for whatever I buy but I no longer have to "justify" purchasing a luxury car

Old 12-20-2017, 12:33 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
that's true, but I will say that even that can have some stipulations you have to remember that "frugal" folks can exert a tone of social pressure too. great thing is, as I get older social pressure really doesn't come into play.

Actually one of the great things about being relatively frugal during most of my working life is that as I get older and closer to retirement, I don't feel bad about purchasing stuff simply for the fact that I think it's "pretty". I still try to get the best price for whatever I buy but I no longer have to "justify" purchasing a luxury car
I absolutely agree. My metric for seeing influence as positive or negative tends to follow along the lines of "Will this influence be helpful or ultimately harmful?" Overall, an influence to frugality generally does no harm. An influence to consumerism tends towards more harm in a large portion of the population. The remortgaging, house buying, and false wealth and spending that occurred in housing just prior to 2008 is an example of the latter.

Sometimes not being frugal can be helpful. A car with improved safety features can be a great investment, and an expensive power tool that will last under heavy expected use is usually a better choice than a cheaper model.

My point is to just be aware of what is influencing you in your purchasing decisions, so that what you do purchase serves YOU well and is not the fantasy of some marketer. If a pretty object serves your need to have beauty around, great. If it ends up in a closet or storage, maybe not.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:53 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Grand ships always have bilge pumps that deal with such leaks. Small leaks are common. Sorry to burst the metaphor.

Well, to carry on with the metaphor, a second job could be the pump.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:04 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen1981 View Post
I just found this forum and though of that again. I have friends that are always complaining about not having enough money wile spending what the do have on dumb S ___ . Fast food every meal, energy drinks ect.
the problem isn't the small leak, it's the captain that keeps crashing the ship into the rocks

fast food doesn't hurt your budget, but if you keep going back for every meal....

Old 12-20-2017, 04:19 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
lol, because some times these people are HAPPY and what we are really saying is "because you don't live like me you're wrong"

now my circle of friends is small so I'm pretty shocked at how many folks here "know" a bunch of people one step from financial ruin. My friends are pretty routine, a few have pensions, we live below our means but don't identify ourselves by how old our cars are

lol question. Is the age of your car some type of indicator of your financial wizardry?? seems like everyone is so proud that they drive 12 year old cars
I drive a seven year old car, and my son, a mechanic, maintains it. It hasn't hit 50,000 miles. It may be my last.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:49 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Quote:

now my circle of friends is small so I'm pretty shocked at how many folks here "know" a bunch of people one step from financial ruin. My friends are pretty routine, a few have pensions, we live below our means but don't identify ourselves by how old our cars are
I lived in Texas for the past ten years, and I don't think I know anybody who is NOT one step from financial ruin. My apartment building comfortable and well maintained, but considered low-end of the market. Lessees have to meet strict credit criteria and criminal background checks, and prove enough income to pay the rent, but for many, there is still a crisis on rent deadline day. Single moms with part-time minimum wage jobs who have to take a taxi to work, costing an hour's pay just to commute. Those who dont work are doing child care for those who do.

America is a a socio-economically bifurcated country, and the people on one side of middle class literally do not personally know anybody on the other. (This will also serve as a reply to Post 18. Come down to non-suburban South Texas and see for yourself.))

Old 12-20-2017, 06:05 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
America is a a socio-economically bifurcated country, and the people on one side of middle class literally do not personally know anybody on the other. (This will also serve as a reply to Post 18. Come down to non-suburban South Texas and see for yourself.))
of course they don't... people's social circles are people they are most similar to

why would I drive across the city to meet people I don't interact with... and my job/industry pays enough that we aren't poor

Old 12-20-2017, 08:26 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
of course they don't... people's social circles are people they are most similar to

why would I drive across the city to meet people I don't interact with... and my job/industry pays enough that we aren't poor
I'm not suggesting that you should. There are other ways to know about such things. I was responding to a post that implied that the other social circles dont exist because he isnt familiar with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living