Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:25 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

I usually pay cash at the supermarket, but occasionally a credit card, if I'm running low on cash. Can't remember the last time I saw someone pay for groceries with a check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Do you have access to the bank statements? Obviously not. Banks have always charged check processing fees.

Google: business checking check processing fees.
My husband has owned a small business for six years, and has never been charged check processing fees. But he doesn't get a whole lot of checks, and has only had one bad check during this time.

Credit card fees, though, are a different story. We have switched companies a couple of times to lower the fees. And of course customers who pay with cash are favored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
Always credit cards when I can. I get that some may use cash to try to control spending but for me I don't think my method of payment will have any effect on what I buy. I do make impulsive buys but I don't really stress about spending $5 or $10 once a week for something I want to eat. If I used cash I'd just be frustrated at always having to make sure I have enough cash on hand, handling the change, and never getting any cash back for my purchases. So for me CCs makes much more sense than cash or worse yet, debit cards, which I think is the worst way to pay.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:49 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
We use credit cards almost exclusively but I do update my wife where we are relative to our budgets for several, major categories. We also know that if we need “it”, we can buy “it” since our income exceeds our spending by thousands each month.

I just checked our AA accounts. Barclays offered us 60,000 miles with the first purchase as opposed to having to purchase $3000 in the first three months for example. Each card did have an annual fee of $95 (I believe) which wasn’t waived like other programs. We took the bait, spend a few bucks, paid the annual card fees and the 60,000 miles were deposited into each of our accounts on the 19th. I’ll take that deal all day long. Give me a few months and i’ll rinse and repeat for more miles.

We do have one favorite card - it paid us well over $3000 earlier this year when my wife was too sick to travel. Sure, they made me jump through a few hoops before they paid the claim but, the built-in travel insurance benefit really saved the day. I was able to rebook our tickets at half the cost paid this year for next year’s trip to the same location.

If you can adult enough to control your spending, credit cards are a much, much better option than cash.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:36 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
I never had a credit card. When I don't have enough cash, my debit card has enough balance. Before debit cards, I sometimes left a store to bike a couple miles to an ATM then back to the store. Gas stations have lower prices for cash purchases, so I always carry enough for driving.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:39 AM

66 posts, read 54,644 times
I use my credit card for groceries etc. so I can get reward points. CC bills always get paid in full; I have never carried a cc balance month to month.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living