Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times

Advertisements

I have relatives are extremely frugal and as much as I love them very much,I find them extremely irritating. They are always saying things that are somewhat critical of how others live.
They live frugal because their income doesn't allow them to live another way right now (they are on a single income), and are always making comments about people buying new homes,people who spend to much on their kids for bdays,Xmas...
Sometimes it comes across as sounding extremely jealous and it makes others uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I've met some really nice frugal people and some really nice not-frugal people. I do find the frugal people easier to be around since we have a lot of the same values. They see a wonderful trusty truck whereas the non-frugal folks might see it as a rusty truck.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
When i was younger i made "things" a priority in my life because thats what i was taught was important. Thats how i measured my self worth. However, when i grew up and issues happened, and the "things" became less and less important in my life...thats when i was happier believe it or not. I've had several people from my past say to me that i look much happier. My reply: "Yes i am"
Too many put "things" and "money" as a priority and they lose track of themselves because they disquise it with stuff.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:06 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
When i was younger i made "things" a priority in my life because thats what i was taught was important. Thats how i measured my self worth. However, when i grew up and issues happened, and the "things" became less and less important in my life...thats when i was happier believe it or not. I've had several people from my past say to me that i look much happier. My reply: "Yes i am"
Too many put "things" and "money" as a priority and they lose track of themselves because they disquise it with stuff.
Living simply brings a sense of peace, doesn't it? I know I am more content since not measuring my self worth with things, as you did.

I think living simply and being frugal are two different things, really. Although I have become quite frugal, I prefer living simply...which brings frugality. Of course, losing a job throws you right into being frugal...and maybe then becoming a simple living person.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
My sister doesn't live frugally, but she is one of the most generous people I know. She may spend a lot of money on clothes, furniture etc. But when she is done with it, she gives it a way (being her sister I always get first dibs ) She also gives a lot of money away...to things to make the world a better place for people (theater groups for children, food banks, rebuilding run down neighborhoods) along with her time, and skills.

Like was posted before, the "things" or lack there of doesn't make the person...the person makes the person.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I'd say that judging anyone based on one aspect and putting them in a "box" of, say, "frugal" or "not frugal" and using that to determine whether or not they're likely to be "nice" is futile. People are much more complicated than that.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
tried to rep ya stirringwaters. I love living simply...and im teaching our kids that as well. I dont want them to ever feel that they are worth less because they dont have a nice vehicle, name brand clothes, ect...and for me....
as for the OP questions...you have nice people in all walks of life. And you have mean people in those same walks.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
It really depends on the people involved. The more extreme ends of the spectrum are equally irritating. Those who are overly frugal, downright skinflints, are obnoxious and sometimes overbearing, likewise the spendthrifts are equally obnoxious and sometimes overbearing.

I consider myself frugal, but it's not a big deal because its the way I was raised so I'm not feeling pain from being frugal. It's just normal for me.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
NO I do not think they are nicer - anymoreso than anyone else. I know plenty of annoying frugal people. I have an NFH that is the biggest sociopathic jerk on the planet and he is mr frugal. So no correlation that I can find.

I think there is a correlation between whether or not they go to church or not. Most of the nicest people I know have some kind of religion. And most of these people are willing to part with $ for a good charitable cause. Thus not REALLY cheap when it comes to helping others.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
NO I do not think they are nicer - anymoreso than anyone else. I know plenty of annoying frugal people. I have an NFH that is the biggest sociopathic jerk on the planet and he is mr frugal. So no correlation that I can find.

I think there is a correlation between whether or not they go to church or not. Most of the nicest people I know have some kind of religion. And most of these people are willing to part with $ for a good charitable cause. Thus not REALLY cheap when it comes to helping others.
I have to say (and understand this comes from a preacher's kid) that this is just another box to put people in - religious or not religious - and then defining them by that box rather than by what they are as individuals. It's just another way to violate biblical the "judge not lest ye be judged" injunction.

I know people who are not particularly religious, if at all, who are kind and giving and "nice", and people who have religion who use their religion as a bludgeon and a way to judge others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living