Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 PM

64 posts, read 282,001 times

Advertisements

I have been denied from a couple. I always send out another request and they usually accept me the second time. If they deny me a 3rd time and I really want in the group, say because its the city I live in, write a 3rd e-mail explaining I live in that city, not looking to just take and not give, and that I say this is my 3rd request and would like to know why I was denied twice before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:33 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
Default Freecycle Fan

I just have to chime in here to say that I think my area's Freecycle group is great. (Orange County, NY) As someone else wrote, we have a choice of receiving an email for every listing, receiving the Daily Digest with all listings for the day or not receiving any email.

Our moderators are fair and even-handed. Regularly, they post the mission of the group and see that the listings are in a standard format. It makes it all pretty efficient. And they solicit member's opinions via polls from time to time.

I've been able to give away lots of stuff to folks that were glad to get it. And being able to upload photos makes for clear understanding all around. I've used Craigslist also, but the respondents come from a wider area so some times the pickups have not been as quick. I take small things to our local charitable thrift shop.

As someone else mentioned, Goodwill is a bit picky and they get overwhelmed with donations. Their mission has nothing to do with keeing things out of the landfill.

So deerislesmile - I'd join the Bangor group, if I were you.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I just received an email that my request to join my local Freecycle group was denied! I didn't think it was such an exclusive group-lol.. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
How ridiculous. You are not good enough to give stuff away. Now that's a form of elitism I've never heard before, although it did cross my mind when I signed up in Central Fl

I had to write a "why I want to be part of the group" essay and answer some questions that led be to believe I better answer the right way or else?

I plan on using the site when I move.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 AM

259 posts, read 732,396 times
i was removed from one of my Freecycle groups. i used to offer away everything i had and responded every time i could to other people's "Wanted"s. i did nothing wrong. i even asked why i was deleted (since i had been a member for over a year) and i got a smart ass nasty response that never even answered the question!

i guess that's Westport, CT for ya!

PS, have any of you ever read up on the guy who started Freecycle? ironic that he accepts corporate sponsorship when volunteers are doing his work for him!

I stick to Craigslist Free section & drop off at Goodwill if no one responds/no-shows.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,329 times
I know, it is stupid. I had a couple of emails telling me I could notpost wanted ad. I gave away two things! It is also too hard to get anything really, it goes too fast, and not worth the time.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
I used to be a fan. Ours was a yahoogroup. I gave away many items and got a sweet weight-set myself.

Then, we were "moved" off of yahoo and onto the Freecycle site---did that happen with every group?

Now that I no longer get email notifications, I've pretty much stopped using FC.

Someone started a local group called "freesharing" and I've been using that instead (although they are slooooooow with their moderation).

ANYone can start a yahoo or google "group". If you are unhappy with your local FC why not just start your own exchange???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living