Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:28 PM

224 posts, read 689,355 times

Advertisements

I love Angel Soft TP. Me and my girls aren't skimpy with the TP, so this low priced item is a must have at our house, plus I don't like thick TP. Plain and simple is luxury...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:39 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Organic produce, grains, and dairy and hormone-free high quality meats (grass-fed beef, free-range organic eggs and chickens, etc.). We make sacrifices on a lot of things to live simply and save money, but we won't skimp of good high quality real food that's not only better for our bodies but better for the earth and all living things on it as well. Here's a link I often use: Eat Wild and this is a good book to read: http://michaelpollan.com/index.htm

Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Agree on the mayonnaise.
Coffee and shoes can't be 'plastic'.
We also won't buy the cheapest TP but actually don't like Charmin and prefer Northern or ,if it's not on sale, Cottenelle.These 3 always have coupons

Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 AM

985 posts, read 2,600,642 times
I draw the line at used underwear (do I really need to explain why? lol), used mattresses, quality shoes.. though I do by quality second hand shoes, and good full spectrum 100% UVA/UVA protection sunglasses. I know the last one is kind of odd but my eyes, for whatever reason, are very sensitive to the sun so I want the best protetction.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:45 AM

172 posts, read 509,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
On another note, I will probably never like reading books on something like Kindle. I need the physical touch of paper and bound. A local newspaper on paper, too, in the morning. Others, larger ones, like WSJ or FT - online is fine.
I can tolerate reading the paper online but for a book, there is no substitution. I have to have a real tangible book in my hands. Remember, there is always the library.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 AM

172 posts, read 509,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I draw the line at used underwear (do I really need to explain why? lol), used mattresses, quality shoes.. though I do by quality second hand shoes, and good full spectrum 100% UVA/UVA protection sunglasses. I know the last one is kind of odd but my eyes, for whatever reason, are very sensitive to the sun so I want the best protetction.
Used underwear and mattresses, NO NO NO! LOL. Should not even be an option.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
I don't buy somebody else's used junk, and I don't buy cheap crap in the stores.

Nor am I brainwashed by "name brand" propaganda.

I live a frugal lifestyle by buying only what I need, and doing it rationally and logically, not according to emotionally based pre-conceived criteria.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
lol. Charmin is the big one at my house. I tried to buy something a little bit cheaper once and my husband complained. "It's like wiping with a cheap paper towel! It HURTS!"
Put a Charmin wrapper on the cheap stuff and see what he says..

Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times
I don't eat processed food, even if it's cheaper. I figure I'd rather be poor and healthy than spend all my money on medical bills.

I also don't skimp on dates and entertainment. DH and I have no tv, buy all our clothes from Goodwill, I keep my hair long so I don't have to get it cut, and make a lot of food from scratch. So going on a date or two every week (which never costs more than $20), and renting movies (2 for 1 with a blockbuster rewards card), I don't skimp on. We'll eat out, and spend less than $10 a piece..lots of coupons and happy hour specials. We go out to the theatre all the time, but Tuesdays is $1 day at the theatre in walking distance.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 PM

326 posts, read 1,301,521 times
LOL... that always creeped me out seeing the used underwear at thrift stores...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Something I can't skimp on is hair products... I can always see the difference if I use a cheap brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living