Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,634,161 times

Advertisements

I'm very frugal because I have to be. But some cheap versions of things are not even worth buying.

I won't buy cheap chocolate - the waxy "chocolate flavoured" candy they put out at Easter, etc. Ick.

If I'm going to buy ice cream, I want the GOOD stuff. Ben & Jerrys, Bryers, etc. No cheap store brands of ice cream unless their premium.

I splurge on organic meat. I don't want my meat pumped up with water and who knows what else. I'd rather have a smaller portion of good meat.

We've stopped buying most processed foods also. The real stuff tastes so much better and is so much cheaper.

I also have learned not to buy cheap dishwashing liquid. It's nothing but water and doesn't cut the grease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Organic foods, tho I grow most of my own veggies. TP. Shoes and tires. I don't skimp on tires - they are the only thing between me and road. And tools. Buy good and buy once - I get repaid every time I use them.

I don't buy used food or underwear. Does anyone?

Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
Just a for what it's worth comment. Those who would never buy a used mattress might consider that when you overnigt in a hotel/motel you are sleeping on a very used mattress.
True, but at least if you discover the mattress in a hotel is infested with something it won't spread through your own home. It's much easier to just go to a different hotel than deal with bugs in my own home. Maybe it's illogical of me but I don't want to bring a used mattress into my house and risk infestation. At least used clothes, appliances, etc., can be immediately washed to help prevent that.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM

172 posts, read 509,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I don't buy used food or underwear. Does anyone?
Used food? I am curious as to what you mean by used food?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:48 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
Used food? I am curious as to what you mean by used food?
A weak attempt at humor....

Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM

186 posts, read 794,515 times
Must Haves:

an occasional bone-in ribeye steak
ditto Ben & Jerry's, Godiva or good ice cream....can't stand the cheap stuff so have the good stuff now & then
Cote d'Or chocolate if I can find it....in a pinch Cadbury's or Ritter will do & Junior Mints if I'm desperate!
Seattle's Best coffee
Duke's Mayo (or sometimes Hellman's Olive Oil mayo mix)
Good quality leathergoods
Skippy Super Chunky peanut butter
Good quality preserves/jams with a lot of fruit bits
Ground lense sunglasses (must be optical quality or I can't see)
Barilla dried pasta

Cheap But Good Buys:

Albertson's brand toilet paper, paper dinner napkins & paper towels, Northern 2-ply brand tp also good
Arm & Hammer, Purex Liquid Laundry Soap
Ultrabrite Toothpaste
Ajax Dishwashing Liquid
Pampa brand foodstuffs
Goya brand foodstuffs (much cheaper than competition where I live)
Asian Passage brand coconut milk (tinned)

I shop around for BOGOFs and sales and freeze whatever I can. Certain items, like green curry paste, north African spices & Thai food items I buy in World Market (a specialty shop like Pier 1 but also with some packaged foods/wine/beer) which is much cheaper than the supermarket. I always have enough on hand to make a meal or two from leftovers with a banged-together sauce and perhaps rice. I keep flour, cereals & crackers in the freezer....safe from bugs and never actually freezes. I always buy lower-priced fruits & veg in season, never tinned and only very few frozen. I buy only frozen fish as it's flash frozen onboard ship and therefore fresher than in the market fish case (told to me by a high-end chef, who also cautioned me not to eat Tilapia fish). Make stock from chicken carcasses and freeze for soup. I shop only the outer edges of the supermarket for fresh items and don't go down the inner isles except for coffee, pasta, beans, rice, paper goods, tomato juice, condiments. I buy cheapie catsup which I use only in BBQ sauce or a few recipes. I rarely throw out limp vegs or leftover anything, instead toss them in the soup pot or a casserole and freeze some of it.

I grew up in a house where leftovers were unknown.....my mum threw out everything after a meal and it kills me to throw away food now. Pasta dishes are usually best next day anyway. I'd make bread if I could be bothered but then I'm afraid I'd eat it all in one sitting!

Old 06-20-2009, 12:22 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
What I do before any purchase, is to ask myself if I can make it one more week before making this particular purchase. If I don't have to have it.....I'll wait a week. It's amazing how many times I never go back to buy what I originally thought I really wanted on an impulse situation or some decorative eye candy.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Wine, TP and milk- we like organic and it is pricey.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,864 times
In our house, bicycle dollars are not the same as real dollars. We do look for sales, deals on second hand bike stuff and do some bartering, but our bikes, gear and bicycling clothes are top notch. We also have really good camping gear, a lot of which we got on super sale deals.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:25 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
A weak attempt at humor....

It's compost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living