Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

Here's mine. I think frugal living is living well and within your means by finding ways to spend less. What do you think?

I don't think frugal is necessarily cheap, but looking for ways to afford better quality for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 03:27 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I define frugal as avoiding waste.... no matter how much you spend.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Here's mine. I think frugal living is living well and within your means by finding ways to spend less. What do you think?

I don't think frugal is necessarily cheap, but looking for ways to afford better quality for less.
To be frugal is to use (notice I didn't say spend) one's money wisely in all that one does never choosing the cheap ,or unneeded things, in life that do not add to one's quality of life in meaningful ways.

Way to many people equate frugal with cheap or the skinflint way of life. That is why consumerism so rampant in America today. People lack the common sense , and self discipline , to apply thought to the way they live their lives.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:46 AM

296 posts, read 803,107 times
We live "frugally" but we live well. We buy quality food. We have a lovely home, very small by US standards (2 bed, 1.5 bath) but it is lovely with a beautiful view of the countryside. We do not own a car (I have a company car). My husband is left on his own during the week without a car but he doesn't mind - we have saved a lot of money over the years by not owning our own car. We have also saved by having a small home. We plan our major purchases, which are minimal. We don't really need much these days, but a couple times a year we do go out to a quality (Michelin star) restaurant for a treat.

When my husband and I agreed to marry, he wanted to go and pick out an engagement ring. I told him that I did not want a ring, we needed to use the money to pay off debt that we both had. Naturally, he thought he had died and gone to heaven to get such a lovely and financially sensible woman to agree to marry him (LOL).

Yes, we certainly life "frugally" but we enjoy life.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
We live "frugally" but we live well. We buy quality food. We have a lovely home, very small by US standards (2 bed, 1.5 bath) but it is lovely with a beautiful view of the countryside. We do not own a car (I have a company car). My husband is left on his own during the week without a car but he doesn't mind - we have saved a lot of money over the years by not owning our own car. We have also saved by having a small home. We plan our major purchases, which are minimal. We don't really need much these days, but a couple times a year we do go out to a quality (Michelin star) restaurant for a treat.

When my husband and I agreed to marry, he wanted to go and pick out an engagement ring. I told him that I did not want a ring, we needed to use the money to pay off debt that we both had. Naturally, he thought he had died and gone to heaven to get such a lovely and financially sensible woman to agree to marry him (LOL).

Yes, we certainly life "frugally" but we enjoy life.
A sterling example of "right living" unburdened and immune to the rampant consumerism of today. Also a sterling example of the real value of "marching to your own drummer" in your life choices.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Good, logical, intelligent, responses. Keep 'em coming!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,681 times
"Marching to the beat of your own drum" just to clarify, but i do aggree that living frugally is living independent of society, which is cratering. "Normal sucks, normal is broke, lets be weird"-Dave Ramsey.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
Plain Jane - It's time you had your ring -- you deserve it!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
Frugal to me equals living below your means. If you earn $XXXXX amount then you should try not to spend all of it. Forget about keeping up with the Joneses, or anyone else. Create your very own budget for your family.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 PM

516 posts, read 1,376,199 times
Frugal living.. getting the best deal you can possibly get on everything you buy through hard work by researching and searching out the deals
g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living