Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 07:10 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You do what you want. Doesn't matter in the slightest to me. Just skip the BS justifications, because you have no chance of anyone taking them seriously. Like I said, you can't win the argument.
If it does not matter to you, then why write a book in response to my comments? Seriously.... Regardless, price discrimination is rather interesting and used all over the place. I'd suggest reading about it when you have time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:35 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
......Depending on their contracts, the rental on a movie can be anywhere from 90% to flat rate. They also have checkers (both "blind" and assigned) that come in to verify how many butts are sitting in seats. Movie hopping is a prime way to tell if a theatre is going to fail. Those that allow it are poorly managed, understaffed, and totally ticking off customers that do pay. I say that with years and years of experience and observation......

I have a BIL who used to manage a theatre. You're very right on the costs...90% is about right. Pretty much his whole ticket sales went to the rental company. Wages, and operating expenses had to come out of the concession sales.

There is also a 'secret shopper' type person (auditor is the correct term) who is hired by the distributer who counts the number of people in the theatre for each showing (always on opening weekend & then other random days) and that is then compaired to ticket sales, and they darn well better match. Oh, and we're required to buy something from the concession stand when doing an audit.

Usually we're allowed the price of 2 tickets, so usually I'll take a friend along & we'll each have a clicker, since it can be confusing with people getting up to get munchies, go to the bathroom, take a phone call, etc., and other new people still coming in. Then we compare clicker counts after the show. It really says something for how much the distributers are making when they can afford to pay 1 or 2 people to go to each showing of whatever the assigned film is one or 2 weekends a month.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
...........The moral issue is irrelevant,...............not some moralistic nonsense.

It may not matter to you, but to most of us, it still matters.

People like you are the cause of a whole lot of the problems in the world today. I think it's time you grow up.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:25 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
I do it if I'm going with friends, but if it's a date, never.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:07 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
We rarely go to the movies but when we do, we do purchase from the theater. I try and teach the kids that sneaking in candy and stuff is wrong because if it was our business we wouldn't people to do it to us? So, we budget our movie adventure for the whole kit and kaboodle and if we can't afford it, we don't do it. I remember my mother sneaking candy into the theater when I was a kid and the look on her face when I finally asked her if what we were doing was wrong- she never did it again. So, I try not to put myself in the same position. Not everyone is like this though.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:32 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,222 times
I really don't think the word "sneak" is the appropriate word. Some of you sound like a bunch of little kids being caught with your hand in the cookie jar. For God's sake- I'm an adult- I can carry Milk Duds in my purse if I freakin want to- it's not like I'm packin heat or anything.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
It may not matter to you, but to most of us, it still matters.

People like you are the cause of a whole lot of the problems in the world today. I think it's time you grow up.
I need to grow up because I'm talking about pricing strategies? Yeah, sure thing.

But seriously, why do you people keep taking my comments out of context to make it look like I'm saying something I'm not? The point is that whether or not this pricing strategy makes sense for a theater has nothing to do with morals. Its based purely on the numbers.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
I think in the last 5 years my husband and I have gone to the theater twice. We go during the school year at the 1pm showing or whatever the midday showing is. The last time we went during a regular weekend evening show a girl behind us was on her cell phone the whole time and, no, there's nothing they do about it. After that we decided we'd go when there's not many people there. Yes we did buy popcorn and a drink from the concession stand each time. We don't buy candy there nor do I bring any.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
I buy a big popcorn and share it with my wife and kids. We all get our own drink, tho. Those buckets are massive, man. I *have* snuck food into a theater when I was younger (hamburgers, yum) but it was a long time ago, I found out they don't make money off the tickets, they make money off the food. I look at it as supporting the theater. And getting some delicious popcorn.

One of the fun things about being a kid is having dad give you the money and let you get the popcorn and drinks. And then trying to find your parents in a big, dark theater. Hey! You're a Big Kid, Now! I don't think I'd get the same thrill with Dad saying, "Stick these cheeseburgers up your shirt, OK? ANd JUST BE COOL."

Old 12-28-2009, 10:43 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
No way Im paying 2.25 for a small , 2.50 for a medium and 2.75 for a large half soda half ice cup. Im buying a 12 pack for cola at the grocery store for 3 dollars and sneaking one in and having 11 left for home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living