Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,283 times

Advertisements

The theater we go to has a dollar store right next door. The dollar store stocks movie sized candy (boxes of candy similar to what you get at a theater) for very cheap obviously. It's fine and even expected for a patron to stop by the dollar store to get the munchies and bring it to the movies. Of course, for those who don't know this, they can pay the $5 boxes of candy at the movie theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,698 times
the reason the ticket prices are so high is because the theaters have to pay to rent the movie and the concession prices are so high because thats where the employee's paychecks come from.

Sources: i work at a movie theater

Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
yes, but I usually buy a drink and sometimes popcorn.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:48 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
I take a bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper into the movies with me every time I go. Put it in my purse -- which I call (on those occasions) my "contrabag." I always buy popcorn at the theatre, though. LOVE movie-theatre popcorn.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:58 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
We all know how expensive the candy and sodas are at the movie theater theater these days.

When I was a little kid, me, my brother and dad would all fill our pockets full of candy and sodas before we went into the movie theater to watch the matinee. I still occasionally practice this today. I went to go see a movie recently and the girl I went with snuck in a small bag of chopped up fruit and snickers for me and a bag of popcorn in her purse for herself as well. We did this despite the signs posted not allowing this.

Do you sneak in your own candy/food? either because you don't agree with paying exorbitant prices or maybe just because the theater doesn't sell anything you like.

I think its crazy that movie theaters charge an arm and a leg for food and drink. Yes I know that theaters make most of their profit on food and drink.
I have not read all 10 pages. The prices were high the last time I went to a movie which was over 5 years ago.
The do the same as sporting events, high cost for drinks, etc.
I'd sneak in cold canned drinks straight from a cooler in the car, but once inside, the smell of the popcorn might overwhelm me and I won't be able to resist buying some.
I guess more people are using Netflix, and the theaters, that are still in business have to raise prices to offset the decline in people visiting the theater.
I may have a visitor from another country and they like to go to the movies, so I am not sure how often this will be. Maybe we have to negotiate once a month or twice a month, or ?

Old 07-03-2011, 04:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
No. We tend to just go out to eat before we go to the movie - nothing fancy, usually; the other night, it was just a grilled chicken salad at Panera. That makes me less hungry for overpriced concession stuff, and I don't have to smuggle anything in.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
We and the teens we hung with once smuggled in McDonald's burgers, fries, and even shakes in large overcoat pockets. We did lose some fries but the shakes did not spill.

Now when DH and I actually bother to go to a movie house, part of the fun is the "geedunk" we get; large drinks, he gets popcorn, I get candy. We usually go out to dinner beforehand, so the concessions are like dessert. We rarely drink pop at all, so it is part of the 'treat'.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:10 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,649 times
If planned ahead, then yeah I bring my own. If last minute, usually don't buy. Not a big popcorn fan and I can go without the drink. It's only like 2-3 hours!!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:26 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
I had my purse checked once, I had sunflower seeds and was told I could not take them in. BUSTED!

Old 07-04-2011, 06:43 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
If it's planned (almost always is) we stop at the dollar stores and buy snacks there. However, my little nephew wants the popcorn usually, so we DO get a small one and share it if we all want some. Drinks we bring in - my older nephew put them in his coat pockets.

Sorry, but I don't feel guilty. When I'm paying $40+ for 4 of us to see the movie, I refuse to pay an extra $20+ on food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living