Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So the movie theater charges $12 per ticket, and gives $9 to the movie producers.

How do you expect the movie theater to make money? $3 per viewer doesn't cut it.
No argument with your logic. Following a Darwinian course, it would be logical for movie theaters to close down.

Just a minute ago my guy & I were talking about the sound check for THX surround sound & how we hadn't heard it in a long time since we haven't been to a movie theater in ages. We watch everything online. Very convenient. It's rare that we even watch DVD's anymore (sometimes there's a sound check on those, I think).

In the posts you highlighted within your own post: The real reason I gave kudos to L. was in regard to the good chop to THL.... If you've spent too much time on C-D as I have, you sometimes enjoy a little show down of words between those you hold in favor & those you don't... *L* I was simply very amused. I love L's eloquence.

I've never been a movie house fan - I usually only go to the theater if it's someone else's idea, to keep them company. I do have compassion for business owners but in capitalism it isn't the survival of the weakest... It just isn't. It's survival of the strongest. When I had a business, no one really cared how I made my profit! Not really!

I do think laws have changed to allow bringing in outside edibles... But I'm probably wrong. I agree that if there IS a sign stating a rule for no outside food, it would be "cheating" to bring it in anyways without prior permission or agreement.

Of course, there are those of us who enjoy living dangerously & bring in the Dollar Store candies or our own water.

If it is true that the movie theater runs on a $2 or $3 profit margin from tickets, it wouldn't make sense to gamble on people buying concessions in my opinion. It would make more sense to have better seating & charge more for the ticket. But then, it isn 't my place to judge, because it isn't my industry.

$2 doesn't even buy a gallon of gas or milk anymore... $3 might get you a gallon of milk.... It doesn't make a lot of sense to me how rent, utilities & payroll are met with that margin. Maybe it's an urban legend? Or an outdated dollar figure? You know vcrs, dvd's & movies in general have gone down in price in the last 2 decades.... Just sayin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
This falls into the, "But, but, but, I want to do this, and not only that, I want all of you to approve of me doing it!" school of argument.

Sorry, but if you're going to try to cheat the system (and bringing outside edibles into a place where the very first thing you see when you enter the building is the concession stand is pretty obviously t trying to cheat the system and anyone who says otherwise is probably going to try to sell you oceanfront property in Idaho), you're going to have to accept that a lot of people, who pay more as a result of your cheating, are going to see you as a cheater. That's just the way it is, you can't have your cake and eat it, too (cheat the system and have everyone pretend that you aren't doing what you're doing).

Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM

31 posts, read 67,463 times
lol snuck food in last night to watch harry potter

Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Not anymore. When i was younger i would sneak in candy from the store. Now I only see a movie ~ 3-4 times a year, so i just buy candy there.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Guilty..
I know it's wrong and I shouldn't sneak candy in but when I watch movies at a movie theater I like stuff to snack on, at the theater I go to the prices for the food is jaw dropping $3 for a pack of skittles?? Come on now..I can go to the 99 cent store and get the same EXACT pack for guess what? 99 cents. A small bag of popcorn WITH butter $7 plus 50 cent for a refill? I guess they need to make up somehow for the $5 dollar movies.

Now I know some people who sneak Mc Doubles and McChickens from McDonalds in..now that is just crazy. lol

Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No, and I don't buy it there either.
I don't have the need to stuff my face while watching a movie!
Often the best reply is right out of the gate!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
The theater we usually go to offers admission to the movie plus a decent-size bag of popcorn and a 20 ounce drink for $6. At that price I don't see much need to sneak snacks in.

If we go somewhere else, I have no problem going 2 hours without a snack or a drink, especially since I usually watch the movie right before or right after supper.

So I guess my answer is no.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM

95 posts, read 315,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
We all know how expensive the candy and sodas are at the movie theater theater these days.

When I was a little kid, me, my brother and dad would all fill our pockets full of candy and sodas before we went into the movie theater to watch the matinee. I still occasionally practice this today. I went to go see a movie recently and the girl I went with snuck in a small bag of chopped up fruit and snickers for me and a bag of popcorn in her purse for herself as well. We did this despite the signs posted not allowing this.

Do you sneak in your own candy/food? either because you don't agree with paying exorbitant prices or maybe just because the theater doesn't sell anything you like.

I think its crazy that movie theaters charge an arm and a leg for food and drink. Yes I know that theaters make most of their profit on food and drink.

Of course I do. Everything from chicken wings and fries to Nachos from Taco Bell.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
I thought of this thread right as I am watching a Two And A Half Men episode where they snuck food in the movie theater.

Alan brought in deviled eggs, LOL.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 AM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
One time I brought in my lunch in those to go boxes: Kung Pao Beef and Fried Rice smelled so good in a crowded the theatre. oops!

I also bring in cans of soda, and ask for cups of ice inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living