Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 12:00 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It is amazing the lengths some people will go to to make their behavior seem OK. Lets break it down to the absolute basics. If you are "sneaking" in the food you are obviously doing something wrong and you know it. Hence the "sneaking". If it was an acceptable thing to do you wouldn't need to "sneak" anything.

By that "Logic" Those people who 'Snuck' out of Nazi Germany, Communist Russia, or Today out of Communist China... KNOW they are doing something wrong!

All 'Sneaking' means, is that you are ether:
1. Attempting to avoid a superior force.
2. Attempting to avoid conflict.

So, was Ann Frank "Doing something wrong" it trying to SAVE HER OWN LIFE!??

YOU say so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
By that "Logic" Those people who 'Snuck' out of Nazi Germany, Communist Russia, or Today out of Communist China... KNOW they are doing something wrong!

YOU say so!
You are going a long way to prove you are right.... but you still aren't right. What the Nazis were doing was wrong, and therefore, what Ann Frank did to survive was right.

What movie theatre owners are doing is trying to stay in business. They get NOTHING from ticket sales. NOTHING. Therefore, in order to stay in business they need to sell you food at inflated prices. Now -- you as a customer have two choices -- to buy what food and drink you want to eat there, or to not buy food at all.

It's simple. Exceptions can be made, and I am sure ARE made, for illnesses that require specific eating patterns, like diabetics. All the rest of this -- is rationalization of people who feel entitled to do whatever they want, which includes yakking on cell phones, videographing the movie and running up and down the aisles. Because they, like you, feel they are special little starflowers that rules don't apply to.

Now -- if you keep doing this what's going to happen to theatres? They'll close. Many have. More and more of them have 20 screens in a smaller plot of land, and so the experience of going to the theatre is becoming more like that old ad -- really big screen, really big sound, hardly any chairs, so no matter where you sit the noise just blows you back.... hardly a good thing.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If you don't think it's unethical to bring food into a restaurant and sit down at their table and eat the food you brought rather than purchasing food from them, then I guess you wouldn't get what it has to do with ethics. Or what going into someone's business and shoplifting has to do with ethics, either. Both are (a) hurting the business and (b) raising prices for other consumers. NJBest gave good advice for those who don't want to pay for what keeps the theatre going; just don't eat during the movie. I assure you, you are not going to die of hunger or thirst in the length of time that it takes to watch a movie. If you are, then you should be in a hospital, not in a movie theatre, anyway.
There is a difference between stealing someone's property (shoplifting) and going into a restaurant, paying for a meal (for a member of your party) and then eating what you brought because you can't eat their food, or don't like it. You'd still be using table space either way and are not taking anything from the restaurant.
Same as, going to the movies, buying the popcorn, and soda but bring water and candy... Maybe they don't carry the candy you like or whatever. either way, if you are not predisposed to spending $9 for candy, the theater won't get $9 from you for candy...cos you just won't buy it from them.
You're arguement is apples and oranges

Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You are going a long way to prove you are right....
I could have used something less extream, but the more extreme ones are harder to argue with.

Example: When a Mother Spells 'Nap' so the kid doesn't throw a fit...
is this 'sneaking' bad?

Quote:
but you still aren't right.
I hear what your saying, but your not saying anything to back up what yoru saying.

Quote:
What the Nazis were doing was wrong, and therefore, what Ann Frank did to survive was right.
So you are saying that I am RIGHT... and that there are times when 'Sneaking' does NOT mean you are wrong.
Thank you for making MY point!

Quote:
What movie theatre owners are doing is trying to stay in business. They get NOTHING from ticket sales. NOTHING.
As I stated earlier, I have worked doing Business Continuity, and your facts are wrong. (Not that this is shocking)
Sorry.

Quote:
Therefore, in order to stay in business they need to sell you food at inflated prices.
Although this is incorrect, I will set this aside for a moment and ask HOW is the other poster recommending NOT BUYING ANYTHING any more 'ethical'
IF your (Incorrect) facts were true... THIS WOULD ALSO put them out of business!
(I keep saying this in different ways... don't know when it'll sink in!)

Quote:
Now -- you as a customer have two choices -- to buy what food and drink you want to eat there, or to not buy food at all.
Your statement has a truth value of 'false' since those are not the only choices.

Quote:
It's simple. Exceptions can be made, and I am sure ARE made, for illnesses that require specific eating patterns, like diabetics. All the rest of this -- is rationalization of people who feel entitled to do whatever they want, which includes yakking on cell phones, videographing the movie and running up and down the aisles.
No, those activities infringe upon the rights of others.
I SAY AGAIN: me eating a roll of lifesavers during the movie has NO DIFFERENCE IN HARM than me not buying anything and eating the lifesavers after I leave.
Therefore:
NO ethical difference.

Quote:
Because they, like you, feel they are special little starflowers that rules don't apply to.
I made it clear earlier that I had no issues 'paying for breaking the rules' when caught. Which shows this statement to ALSO be false (And nothing more than an attempt at an insult as evidenced by your verbage.... the typical refuge of those who cannot produce FACTS to back up what they say.)

Quote:
Now -- if you keep doing this what's going to happen to theatres? They'll close. Many have. More and more of them have 20 screens in a smaller plot of land, and so the experience of going to the theatre is becoming more like that old ad -- really big screen, really big sound, hardly any chairs, so no matter where you sit the noise just blows you back.... hardly a good thing.
Actually no. The result of them not making AS MUCH money (Ether from people bringing food in and not eating theirs, or JUST NOT EATING THEIRS) is for them to raise the ticket prices.

The thing putting them out of business is the avalability of this entertainment in the home. Just like netflix has but out of business most video rental stores, and CD's killed Cassets, which killed 8 tracks, and are dying due to digital music.

But then I guess we should all go buy buggy whips to support them even though cars have taken over.

FACTS people, FACTS, not emotions please.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I'm sure people who rob people can justify it to themselves to. Or people who assault. Heck, I'm sure the guy who beats his wife is only doing it because she deserves it. So keep at it. I'm guessing it makes you feel better about your actions. But if you really thought you were in the right would you really try so hard to convince everyone else?

Old 07-17-2011, 04:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

YOU say so!
Godwin's Law strikes again! (Actually, I haven't seen it in action in a long, long, long time because most people are aware of it by now and consciously avoid it.)

Old 07-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Godwin's Law strikes again! (Actually, I haven't seen it in action in a long, long, long time because most people are aware of it by now and consciously avoid it.)

Don't really care about someone's observations that have NOTHING to do with the discussion at hand. Comparison is still valid and you provide NO supporting evidence to any disagreeing position.
-And I notice you make NO comment about the (What was it 4?) OTHER comparisons I made... which are EQUALLY valid.

Come to think of it... you didn't really address THAT ONE!

As such...

Have a good day, but tell me if you want to ACTUALLY discuss the situation.

manderly6:
They why would be this is providing me breaks from a Weekend of Math/Biology study/work!

-Funny how 'Off the top of my head' I can provide examples, and 'Ethical comments' which invalidate others arguments, and the best that can be come up with are "You must have an issue if you are working so hard'
And nonsensical, dis-related statements.

As I said, if someone would like to discuss facts, or even Philosophy (Like the Ethical examples I provided)
Have at it.
(Not holding my breath!)

Excuse me for now... Graphing is calling.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Nothwithstanding the fact that I haven't been to a movie theatre for five or six years.....No, I do not sneak anything in. Part of the fun of going to a movie is eating the popcorn and other munchies. Bringing it in would spoil the fun.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM

530 posts, read 779,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Nothwithstanding the fact that I haven't been to a movie theatre for five or six years.....No, I do not sneak anything in. Part of the fun of going to a movie is eating the popcorn and other munchies. Bringing it in would spoil the fun.

20yrsinBranson

Well, obviously you havn't tried sneaking in with chicken fried rice.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
I just snorted coffee out my nose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living