Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 10:26 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times

Advertisements

Instead of putting a new kitchen in I decided to do a complete makeover by myself by (carefully) painting those old builders' (solid) oak cabinets & walls, ceiling, putting on new hardware & replacing shelves & cabinet bottoms as needed.

The motivation was buying a highly rated range that I had my eye on for over a year that finally went on sale Dec. for a couple of hundred $$$ less + a nice range fan that had a deep discount with the stove. (Also buying it with a Citi Visa card not only doubles the warranty but they also offer a free price search service that will rebate me the difference if they or I find the same item at a lower price than I paid, I just got a check from that a few days ago!)

The spackling, sawing, removing doors, sanding, priming, painting, etc... get's done with about 1/2 day's work daily, & days off too, since I am retired & my own boss; I drew up a rough schedule last night & have about 2 weeks more to go I figure, so I might make the work days longer to shorten that... but when I get to the actual painting, probably the easiest part of this whole ordeal, I have to give a day between coats & then need a few days to cure before I start putting stuff back in the cabinets.

The tile countertops with the dirty grout & the 1980's vibe irritate me daily. On a scouting expedition to Ikea they were eliminating one variety of solid wood butcherblock countertops for $50 each! I took 2. Do I want quartz counters? Yes, but the frugal instinct won, but I admit I look with trepidation at cutting them to size & the sink cut out & waterproofing coating them (all in my little city apartment with no outdoor space & all the cabinet stuff in boxes piled in my living room).

The backsplash was that previously mentioned tired beige tile from the counters. After a brisk scrub down I used a good primer & a pure white tile paint, several careful coats, & it looks great now, you couldn't tell even looking close-up.

Am I looking at March before I get done, hope not. Then I paint the living room, paint cans sitting here already.

I decided to do this instead of getting new cabinets, etc because the old honey oak cabinets & tile counters were driving me crazy & I'm not drawing on SS for another 3 years, I might replace with new if I decide to sell in the future, the neighborhood is on the upswing & a new kitchen would guarantee an above market price here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 11:37 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times
16 washcloths for $2.12 at Jcpenney I had a coupon and they were on sale.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:52 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
That is pretty good. I bought a bundle from Target and I paid $3.00 and change.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:58 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Instead of putting a new kitchen in I decided to do a complete makeover by myself by (carefully) painting those old builders' (solid) oak cabinets & walls, ceiling, putting on new hardware & replacing shelves & cabinet bottoms as needed.

The motivation was buying a highly rated range that I had my eye on for over a year that finally went on sale Dec. for a couple of hundred $$$ less + a nice range fan that had a deep discount with the stove. (Also buying it with a Citi Visa card not only doubles the warranty but they also offer a free price search service that will rebate me the difference if they or I find the same item at a lower price than I paid, I just got a check from that a few days ago!)

The spackling, sawing, removing doors, sanding, priming, painting, etc... get's done with about 1/2 day's work daily, & days off too, since I am retired & my own boss; I drew up a rough schedule last night & have about 2 weeks more to go I figure, so I might make the work days longer to shorten that... but when I get to the actual painting, probably the easiest part of this whole ordeal, I have to give a day between coats & then need a few days to cure before I start putting stuff back in the cabinets.

The tile countertops with the dirty grout & the 1980's vibe irritate me daily. On a scouting expedition to Ikea they were eliminating one variety of solid wood butcherblock countertops for $50 each! I took 2. Do I want quartz counters? Yes, but the frugal instinct won, but I admit I look with trepidation at cutting them to size & the sink cut out & waterproofing coating them (all in my little city apartment with no outdoor space & all the cabinet stuff in boxes piled in my living room).

The backsplash was that previously mentioned tired beige tile from the counters. After a brisk scrub down I used a good primer & a pure white tile paint, several careful coats, & it looks great now, you couldn't tell even looking close-up.

Am I looking at March before I get done, hope not. Then I paint the living room, paint cans sitting here already.

I decided to do this instead of getting new cabinets, etc because the old honey oak cabinets & tile counters were driving me crazy & I'm not drawing on SS for another 3 years, I might replace with new if I decide to sell in the future, the neighborhood is on the upswing & a new kitchen would guarantee an above market price here.
Good for you. My kitchen needs a re-do (seriously, late 60s look) and I keep putting it off because I dread it.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Aldi has become my new goto grocery. I still don't do my primary shopping there because I prefer my local family own grocery. But I do stop by Aldi once a week to see what I can grab from there

Old 02-09-2017, 04:51 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times
Several bikes in the $15-25 range and a $10 bike trailer, which I use to haul my groceries.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:56 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
I bought a beautiful comforter set that is $14.00 less than the original price.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:43 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,157 times
I bought 2 pairs of jeans at Orschlen's for $3.00, they were going out of business. They had originally been $24.00 per pair, then marked down to $15.00, then they were marked down at 90% off.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:01 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Won an auction for a amazingly nice Dillard's lamb leather jacket for my husband. So soft and has never been worn. $18.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Found a practically brand new Eagles NFL hoodie and another zip up hoodie for a total of $8 at the thrift shop. The eagles hoodie sells for $75 in stores and online at the nfl shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living