Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the orchid live?
Plants share positive emotions - be positive 2 100.00%
Plants are plants - who cares 0 0%
Perhaps 0 0%
Bury Now 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:43 AM

11 posts, read 27,421 times

Advertisements

Long ago when a discarded scragly bromeliad was tossed aside, my Mom said, "Take it home, it will grow!"
"But Mother, they always die . . . "
"Take it home, it will grow!"

Indeed, it grew and multiplied. Because her wise words were honored, the fear was replaced with positive energy. At times more than 50 blooms brightly proclaim her prediction; and, perhaps later, 25 more! Several varieties share the space. Certainly, she smiles upon them from her home above.

Orchids seem to be another stumbling block . . . So many have been buried, no longer alive! Absolute determination forced my last purchase; determined as my very last purchase, if a failure. What a negative approach?

Such a beautiful plant with three stalks of blooms, a hybrid Onicidum. Carefully following instructions seemed ideal . . . but, to what success? After the blooms paled, during one of our frequent rainy spells, it seemed reasonable to allow the plant a bit of tropical life! Great! Two leaves were lost to slugs, just overnight, and others started turning brown. Black bugs were in the medium, as well as tiny black spots on the backs of the leaves. The leaves started to twist.

The plant needed repotting at purchase. This seemed an ideal time to check the status. Root bound is an understatement! After carefully removing the plant from the 4" pot, and finding still another remaining 2" pot inside (?, is this standard ), roots were carefully released from twining circles of attempted growth. It seemed as if brushing the hair of a lost child after many years of abuse. The roots extended more than eight inches below the plant. It was repotted in a combination of great oak mulch used for my bromeliads combined with a commercial orchid mix. A bit of 5% Sevin was mixed around the roots. Unable to get the suggested chemical, a home combination of isopropryl, olive oil and diluted dish washing soap was applied to the leaves. Artificial plant light was gradually introduced (daylight spectre).

It seems to be adding new veins for nutrition (?) between the damaged center vein and sides of the leaves. Will it live? Does it need more Sevin for the black bugs, another chemical treatment? Do I care too much? The bromeliads live best when ignored . . . Is too much care/fear causing the burials of my orchids? Please help . . .

What is the strategy of getting orchids to bloom?

(climate: ugh .. . . Houston, TX . . . too hot in the summer to place outside)

Help, please . . . prevent orchid burials far below the sand .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM

29 posts, read 238,800 times
There is no big secret to growing orchids - you just have to understand their needs.

Orchid Plants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden