Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times

Advertisements

Sigh. I live in a semi-rural area and my wonderful builder and his family just moved in three lots away 2 months ago. They're delightful people and the best neighbors imaginable, BUT..they have two outdoor cats which are causing me two problems. They defecate in my garden, which I could live with in the name of neighborly peacefulness - though I have to admit, I really don't understand why dog owners can be fined for not picking up dog poop, but cat owners aren't responsible for, or expected to, pick up after their cats who use other people's yards for toilets, but that's another peeve for another day. My problem is that I have a smallish dog who unfortunately suffers from what our vet calls "dietary indiscretion," meaning she snacks on the little cat turds she sniffs and digs out of the sandy soil and mulch in our yard. Now this I could even live with except that on several occasions here and at my former home, my dog has gotten quite ill from these "snacks" and every time I take her to the vet, it involves a fecal analysis and sub-cutaneous fluids to correct the resultant dehydration, and so far other people's cats have cost me over $1200 in vet bills.

I just spent a really exhausting 24 hours letting my dog outside every couple hours, for the second time since these cats moved in down the street, and at this point I almost feel like I even have to keep her on a leash in my own backyard to make sure she doesn't ingest any more cat feces.

So I'm wondering if any gardeners who have had problems with cats using their gardens as litter boxes could suggest any cat repellents that actually WORK. Years ago when I had this problem with another dog, I called the SPCA and Animal Control in my former town and their solution was for me to spends thousands of dollars to install some kind of crazy angled, point-y fence topper that's designed to keep cats out. Besides not wanting to ruin my beautiful isolated, park-like wooded yard, I don't see why I should have to spend that kind of money to armor my property against trespassing pets.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ukiyo-e; 08-06-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 01:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Well, speaking from personal experience, if you supervise your dog during his outings, then he won't be able to snack on cat poo. Back in the day when I had a dog, he never went outside without me. This also prevents him from eating dead squirrels that are infested with maggots and good stuff like that. IMHO that's just what responsible pet owners do.

Now then, to answer your question you can try putting citrus peels out in the garden. Cats really dislike citrus smells. The downside being that you have orange peels in your garden which is not that aesthetic. Also, I believe that large pet shops have deterrents that you can buy that are effective.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, speaking from personal experience, if you supervise your dog during his outings, then he won't be able to snack on cat poo. Back in the day when I had a dog, he never went outside without me. This also prevents him from eating dead squirrels that are infested with maggots and good stuff like that. IMHO that's just what responsible pet owners do.

Now then, to answer your question you can try putting citrus peels out in the garden. Cats really dislike citrus smells. The downside being that you have orange peels in your garden which is not that aesthetic. Also, I believe that large pet shops have deterrents that you can buy that are effective.

20yrsinBranson
Let me get this straight. Two cats are roaming the neighborhood depositing their poop in other people's yards, and you take ME to task for letting my own dog out into my own fenced yard?

Also, the reason I KNOW what makes her sick is because I AM out in the yard with her, right? Otherwise I wouldn't know the cause. We have coyotes here that can jump the fence, so she is NEVER in the yard alone. Unlike a dead animal, a dog can snarf up a cat turd in seconds. Often I CAN grab her mouth and make her spit it out before she swallows it, but not always.

I'd just love to show your comment to the rescue lady and foster mom who I adopted this elderly senior dog from. If you knew 1/10 the things I have done for this dog you'd be ashamed of your comment.

Last edited by ukiyo-e; 08-06-2011 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 03:17 PM

A friend on FB solved my problem - ground pepper sprinkled in the flower beds where the mulch is. She's been using it for years because there are numerous outdoor cats in her neighborhood, and one wriggling-maggot-infested cat turd she uncovered a couple years ago was the last straw for her. She buys large containers at Costco; it doesn't hurt the plants or animals, and only has to be reapplied every 2-4 months, she says. Cayenne pepper works, too, she told me, but it's more expensive.

Yay!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Let me get this straight. Two cats are roaming the neighborhood depositing their poop in other people's yards, and you take ME to task for letting my own dog out into my own fenced yard?

Also, the reason I KNOW what makes her sick is because I AM out in the yard with her, right? Otherwise I wouldn't know the cause. We have coyotes here that can jump the fence, so she is NEVER in the yard alone. Unlike a dead animal, a dog can snarf up a cat turd in seconds. Often I CAN grab her mouth and make her spit it out before she swallows it, but not always.

I'd just love to show your comment to the rescue lady and foster mom who I adopted this elderly senior dog from. If you knew 1/10 the things I have done for this dog you'd be ashamed of your comment.
You're right. My comments were uncalled for. I apologize.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-06-2011, 07:33 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,710 times
Default Simple answer

Get a larger dog for outside. Cats will not be a factor. Your dog will have a friend. Or you can do a true sand box and they will stay out of the garden. But, I would go with the bigger dog.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:34 PM

983 posts, read 2,543,161 times
What about talking to the owners of these cats? if the are nice neighbors they will understand. Yes they are outdoors cats but that doesn't mean they can just get into your yard and do their business everywhere. Good luck hope you figure it out without getting into arguments with your neighbors.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:27 PM

97 posts, read 210,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
What about talking to the owners of these cats? if the are nice neighbors they will understand. Yes they are outdoors cats but that doesn't mean they can just get into your yard and do their business everywhere. Good luck hope you figure it out without getting into arguments with your neighbors.
If these neighbors let their cats outside despite the fact that there are coyotes roaming around looking for pets to eat, my guess is they don't care about their cats or this person's yard, or anything else, for that matter.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
First, no one should have an outdoor cat as a pet. Their life expectancy is one third as long as an indoor cat. And, the vet bills for an outdoor cat can be substantial.

Having said that, I call BS on your story about the cat poo in your garden. I have cats roaming all over the yard (they trip my security cameras and I see the video of their antics) and I have never once seen a single piece of cat poo in my yard. I am betting your dog is eating his own poo.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM

468 posts, read 1,542,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Having said that, I call BS on your story about the cat poo in your garden. I have cats roaming all over the yard (they trip my security cameras and I see the video of their antics) and I have never once seen a single piece of cat poo in my yard. I am betting your dog is eating his own poo.

Wouldn't you need to see/not see the cat stuff in the O.P.'s garden, or yard, before you make a claim like that?

How does not seeing anything in your yard make the O.P.'s story invalid?

There are alot of stray cats in my neighborhood and I have to clean up cat stuff in my yard. I can mail you some, and a picture of me scooping it up, if you don't believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden