Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:43 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times

Advertisements

Dogs just looooove cat poo !
I have 2 cats, and I have had to resort to putting baby gates in the doorway to the rooms their litterboxes are in, so they can have access to them while my dogs can not.
They'd scarf that poop up in a heartbeat if I gave them the chance!
Cats are better off indoors for MANY reasons, but in many cases once they've had a taste of the outdoors it's virtually impossible to keep them inside...just depends on the cat. Mine have never gone outside and don't really show any desire to do so, they have plenty of sunny places to perch and lounge and they get spoiled rotten, plus they'll never be exposed to fleas, ticks, parasites, cars, prey-driven dogs or sadistic freaks who would do unspeakable things to them.

There's always at least one stray cat coming around, and I definitely can't take any more animals into my house, but I do try to vet them if necessary and find them homes.
They must have a radar for softies like me .
Fortunately, not only is this present stray already spayed, she also doesn't relieve herself in my garden, AND she intercepts any birds who try to mess with my veggies .
It's kind of an unspoken contract, as long as I keep the stinky canned food coming, she will guard my plants.
I'll almost be sad when I finally find her a home.

The downside is having to check for/clean up the bird part "gifts" she leaves for me before I can let my dogs out to do their morning business...luckily, they're lazy chihuahua princesses and don't mind sleeping in while I go on "gift patrol" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:30 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Having said that, I call BS on your story about the cat poo in your garden. I have cats roaming all over the yard (they trip my security cameras and I see the video of their antics) and I have never once seen a single piece of cat poo in my yard. I am betting your dog is eating his own poo.
You can think that all day long, but I know she's not lying; I have seen it myself time and time again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
.22lr is a permanent solution
Exactly! Bye bye Felix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I had a problem with cats in both the garden and along the sides of my house. Human urine. Get a plastic container and collect it. I believe the ratio is 1 part urine to 8 parts water and this nitrogen is good for your garden. I guess the cats found my urine as offensive as I found their poo! Think it is gross? Not as gross as watching your dog eat cat poop or cleaning it off your shoe and the smell in the summer sun.
I had heard that human urine would keep the deer out of your garden but have never tried it.
It works. Other than that, you can keepo damn near anything out of your garden with predator gland/urine. This is the stuff I am talking about.

http://www.predatorpee.com/

IMO this stuff works better than human, and much easier to deal with.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Human is much easier to dispense. Cheaper too.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
It works. Other than that, you can keepo damn near anything out of your garden with predator gland/urine. This is the stuff I am talking about.

http://www.predatorpee.com/

IMO this stuff works better than human, and much easier to deal with.
This site is hilarious..."Ask the pee man"...LMAO !

Old 05-17-2012, 07:13 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I've used fox urine pellets to try to repel gophers; it worked about 3 days until they figured out there aren't any fox. I suspect cats would do the same. If dog urine doesn't repel cats, how would human urine do it?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Shooting a cat with a .22 is illegal and can land you in jail. If you have or know someone with rose bushes get them to give you some thorny stems next time you or they prune. Set them down in the garden and those cats won't want to even walk up in there let alone do their business. It's legal, and while it may hurt a bit, the cat won't be harmed or return. My neighbor came up with that trick and it works.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Shooting a cat with a .22 is illegal and can land you in jail. If you have or know someone with rose bushes get them to give you some thorny stems next time you or they prune. Set them down in the garden and those cats won't want to even walk up in there let alone do their business. It's legal, and while it may hurt a bit, the cat won't be harmed or return. My neighbor came up with that trick and it works.
That depends on where you are at.

In NYC yeah, certainly. But in my hometown, especially where my Dad lives, nope; not illegal AT ALL. They are a pest, and it's legal to shoot pests.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:32 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I don't agree with shooting animals just because they wandered in to the garden.

As for a cat repellent...I only have evidence based on how my cats reacted to it.

See, last year, I moved here and got to work making the yard look really nice. I then decided to get some catnip and grow it for the cats. After much waiting, I plucked some off and gave it to the cats.

They recoiled in horror.

Fill your yard with catnip!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't agree with shooting animals just because they wandered in to the garden.

As for a cat repellent...I only have evidence based on how my cats reacted to it.

See, last year, I moved here and got to work making the yard look really nice. I then decided to get some catnip and grow it for the cats. After much waiting, I plucked some off and gave it to the cats.

They recoiled in horror.

Fill your yard with catnip!
Wandering in the garden maybe not, harassing the chickens so they won't lay, or flat out killing them, oh yes, GAME ON!

As for the catnip, my old kitty was CRAZY for the stuff! I mean like a crack addict, and she got SOOOO drunk from it, it was too funny.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:13 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Wandering in the garden maybe not, harassing the chickens so they won't lay, or flat out killing them, oh yes, GAME ON!

As for the catnip, my old kitty was CRAZY for the stuff! I mean like a crack addict, and she got SOOOO drunk from it, it was too funny.
Catnip I get from the store? We have gang wars in the house. Cat nip grown in the garden? Horrific stuff, get it away.

Post was in jest based on their reaction. I was SO happy to grow it for them. I took such good care of those plants, beaming with pride, waiting for the day to happily produce the bounty to the cats. And what did I get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden