Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,118 times

Advertisements

How do people keep under control evasive type plants. When you buy them from the nursey it says things like "grows in medium size clumps" but in reality they can take over the whole yard. Plants like Rudbeckia (black eyed susan) and Joe pye weed. Not only do the keep on spreading but also reseeding and they always reseed within another plant and end up killing it. Over the past two seasons I've removed most of the black eyded susans and have a small patch left but they've reseeded within other plants

any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 AM

269 posts, read 1,243,687 times
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

To my knowledge, all you can do is be persistent, and remove the invaders whenever you encounter them. Here, the Himalayan blackberry is an invasive pest (even though this time of year they contribute tasty fruit) that is just biological barbed wire if you don't rip it out as soon as you see it.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
glxyman21
One trick you can try is to remove the flower before it goes to seed. A plant uses lots of energy to produce seeds, thats why "deadheading' will produce more flowers.
Also certain invasive's to your area can be controlled by removing berries.
They just put the Nandina "heavenly bamboo" on the list here. It seems the birds eat the berries and when they "get rid of the seeds" is the reason these plants have been put on the list. By removing the berries I can keep the plant and still have a "florida friendly yard"

karla
I have finally gotten the "mexican petunia" out of my yard.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
LOL - and here I thought this thread was about elusive plants.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
LOL - and here I thought this thread was about elusive plants.
heh
I did too!
I thought it was about special, hard to find specimen plants or something.

Karla, that's funny about Mexican petunias.
In Colorado they are quite desirable because they happen to grow so well there in that arid climate.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:39 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
How do people keep under control evasive type plants. When you buy them from the nursey it says things like "grows in medium size clumps" but in reality they can take over the whole yard. Plants like Rudbeckia (black eyed susan) and Joe pye weed. Not only do the keep on spreading but also reseeding and they always reseed within another plant and end up killing it. Over the past two seasons I've removed most of the black eyded susans and have a small patch left but they've reseeded within other plants

any advise?
Try using Preen a pre-emergent, after you pull out all the clumps. It prevents seeds from germinating. You sprinkle it around the soil about every three months or so. Get the Preen that has a green color on the lid. This type has a fertilizer in it. When you use a pre-emergent such as Preen over a long period of time it takes the nutrients out of the soil so buying a pre-emergent with fertilizer in it is helpful.

Black-eyed Susans also send out runners that can become "new plants". They are easy to remove in early growth buy just pulling them up. Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
I have some Giant Ragweed that is not really evasive. It just grows in the same place every year and I cannot get rid of it.

Any takers? It's free!

Old 08-21-2007, 06:03 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,707 times
thanks, but no thanks.... got enough for now

Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Evasive? Are they avoiding your questions?

I'm teasing you, but the title made me chuckle !

So many plants are becoming invasive lately- the list is growing (Global Warming, anyone?).

If it's something that reseeds itself (such as the black-eyed susans), I'd remove it entirely. Seeds blow in the wind and get picked up and carried by birds as Karla said. There's no way you can control all of that.

If it's an invasive that spreads by runners underground, I'd still plant it if I really wanted it - I'd just set up a barrier.

I have some Ruellia, which is what Karla mentions above as Mexican Petunia. Some of the Mexican Petunias are invasive, some aren't (the new ones are sterile and the short pink Mexican Petunias are not on the invasive list at all, they're fine). I was given one from a neighbor, and since I don't know if it's the newer sterile version or the older version, I've been monitoring it in a container until I can see how much it will spread. It seems to be a slow spreader, so I will put it in the ground with a barrier and I expect it will be fine. if it's not, I'll remove it.

If you're in a warm climate, such as Florida, everything has the potential to be invasive it seems .

Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
If you are a southerner, you know the true invasive plant-KUDZU!

If you aren't...Count yourself lucky you don't have that one, LOL. Kudzu is one of the most common and troublesome weeds of rights-of-way, power lines, roadsides, and forests, barns, children...anything standing still for longer than 10 mins! Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden