Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 10:56 PM

430 posts, read 1,265,263 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a preference for seed catalogs? Leaving Tucson and finally moving to where I can grow stuff again....it's been YEARS since I grew anything in the GROUND. I am truly looking forward to my first crop going in the ground this spring!!

O.Nana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 12:02 AM

855 posts, read 2,399,110 times
I've heard good things about Vesey's and Stokes.

Veseys

Flower Garden Seeds and Vegetable Garden Seeds | Stokes Seeds

Also, there's

Park Seed: Seeds and plants for vegetable, flower, annual and perennial gardening.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:19 AM

105 posts, read 496,945 times
Our favorites are

Thompson and Morgan

Summer Hill Seeds - Summer Hill Seeds - Rare Flower Seeds For Your Garden

Onalee Seeds (for climbers) Onalee's Home Grown Seeds and Plants - Home Page (http://onaleeseeds.bizhosting.com/index.html - broken link)

J L Hudson Seeds Catalog

Chiltern Seeds Chiltern Seeds for rare and unusual fresh seeds - Chiltern Seeds secure online shop (This is our #1 favorite even though the catalog has no photos and the postage from England can be a little pricey. But it's worth it because they have so many thilngs that just aren't available from any of the USA seed companies!)

Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 AM

430 posts, read 1,265,263 times
Great! Thanks for the information, I'll try those...

O.Nana

Old 09-08-2007, 03:51 PM

417 posts, read 1,283,516 times
Grandma and grandpa always used Burpee: Burpee

I remember the new catalogs arriving in the mail and everyone pouring over them selecting what we needed to order for the garden.

Burpee was founded in Philadelphia in 1876 and is still in the Philadelphia area. They have a 1 year guarantee for its products. Also they guarantee secure online transaction.

If you use them try their burpless cucumber. You know how cucumbers can make you burp, these truly do not make you burp. That is the only kind that grandpa planted.

I can't wait to retire, move to Berryville, Arkansas and start my garden. Then watch out, let the canning begin!!

Old 09-09-2007, 02:25 AM

417 posts, read 1,283,516 times
Ozark Nana--while leaving rep message my finger hit the "enter" button so you got an abbreviated message with your rep. I can't wait to be a fellow Ozark dweller but I will be across the border in Arkansas.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,491,899 times
Here are three more:

Seed Savers (very cool!):

http://seedsavers.org/

Johnny's:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds:

http://www.rareseeds.com/

You can go online and request a print catalog for free (and they don't make you "register" to do so.....I hate when websites do that !).

I'm going to check out the ones mentioned by the posters above, the only catalog mentioned that I have is Burpee. Looking forward to what others post as well .

Old 09-09-2007, 04:33 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,251,890 times
There's probably a hundred + catalogues we get each year for our organic gardening. No one catalogue has all the varieties that will grow in our climate, although those mentioned above are all good folks.

I suggest you contact the county extension agent's office and visit with the horticulturist about what grows well in the area you're moving to. Also, check out the Master Gardener program, if any ... where you'll get a hands on education about the local gardening scene and an opportunity to network with local gardeners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden