Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,965 times

Advertisements

Food coloring, paint, etc does nothing if the grass has no leaves to paint, as is the case with the OP's scalped lawn.

Just as a side note, food coloring does nothing to color the lawn even on a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Food coloring, paint, etc does nothing if the grass has no leaves to paint, as is the case with the OP's scalped lawn.

Just as a side note, food coloring does nothing to color the lawn even on a good day.
Good to know for the info...

You have to commend that child of mine for "trying" in best consideration for her parent's worry on the "lawnscape" (yet we are quite rural w/o neighbors "in sight" to complain about us, so there is ample of time for research & doings...)... thus I said she is a "baker" and thinks like one w/o any expertise in grass care. She is so worried for us she wants to make us a "green grass coconut cake" to make us feel happier w/ our lawn... that sweetheart.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
I just bought a house which used to be a foreclosure, so a lot of things have been neglected for a while. One of them is the lawn, its not very green, especially if you compare it with the neighbor's yard, which looks great. You can see the comparison below:

You can see there is a nice strip of green on my side of the fence. That is because my neighbor was also taking care of that strip of lawn until I bought the house.

Is there anything I can do to make it look better? This may be a dumb question, but this is the first time ever that I have a yard, so I'm new to everything.

This picture was taken right after the lawn was mowed.
It is hard to tell from the picture but I'm guessing someone cut the grass on too low of a setting. If the grass was high, it should have been cut on the highest setting possible. There may also be clippings on the grass, which makes it appear browner. I don't bag my clippings but that can be a problem when the grass is high. You want to mulch the clippings not have them lay on the grass and turn brown. I agree with what everyone else said about fertlizing, aeration and thatching. You may also want to spread some lime. Chances are your neighbor does nothing more than cuts his grass regularly on a higher setting and uses a drop spreader to fertilize four times a year.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I meant compost not mulch.

Nitrogen and Iron obtained through the compost breaking down into the soil is better over the long run for your lawn. It will take longer to green but will be healthier.
Bulldogdad
Let's mulch his lawn for fun. He'll attract every termite for country miles. Yep, mulch, mulch, mulch and more mulch.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Good to know for the info...

You have to commend that child of mine for "trying" in best consideration for her parent's worry on the "lawnscape" (yet we are quite rural w/o neighbors "in sight" to complain about us, so there is ample of time for research & doings...)... thus I said she is a "baker" and thinks like one w/o any expertise in grass care. She is so worried for us she wants to make us a "green grass coconut cake" to make us feel happier w/ our lawn... that sweetheart.
I do commend your child for trying.

She may grow up and develop a way to make lawns appear healthy, full and beautiful without the expensive and damaging toxic chemicals one day. She could could make owning a lawn "green" in more ways than one.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:43 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
A healthy green lawn takes a bit of time and patience. I agree with the OP that you shouldn't cut it too close. A very short lawn will allow weeds to take hold. We use a feed and weed spread on our lawn in mid-Spring and that is it for the season. You can burn a lawn with too much fertilizer.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
I should post a photo of my rear lawn. It is full of violets and little blooming asters. There's grass there, but I suppose someone would tell me to throw chemicals on it...I live in a watershed and excess fertilizers run off into the waterways and cause excess algae growth and other problems.

1. I do agree the OP should be friendly and ask the neighbor. The neighbor may have a sprinkler or aereate(sp?) or something. But if the neighbor is spritzing fertilizer all over the lawn, then I'd go the Bulldogdad route and responsibly treat w/ manure.

2. I also think the grass may have been cut a little too short.

3. Why is it than whenever I'm putting in a flowerbed or something, grass seems IMPOSSIBLE to kill, but people are always posting about how their grass seems to be dying by itself...LOL The irony.

BTW the paddock fencing is nice.

Congrats on the new home!

Old 04-01-2012, 04:44 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
OMG, it isn't rocket science. Go buy the appropriate Scott's, for(my kind of grass) plus weed killer and put it on the lawn. What part of this is hard?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Watershed. Geez. 10 pounds of soluble fertilizer will never make it off your lawn much less into some aquifer.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Watershed. Geez. 10 pounds of soluble fertilizer will never make it off your lawn much less into some aquifer.
Yes it will. I did a little accidental experiment last year and put a small amount of fertilizer on my flower beds. It rained a lot last year, if you remember. Anyway, in a couple of days I had a downstream ornamental pond full of algae.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden