Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:08 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would also like to ask if anyone here has grown Omars Lebanese tomatoes ? if so what were they like ?
They were on my original list of 23 tomatoes for this season, but I honestly only have the container space for 18 if I have any hope of growing my other veggies. Omar's has been cut from the list as of right now, but since I haven't sown my official tomato seeds yet, it might still make it back on there. I've been wanting to try Marianna's Peace and Neves Azorean Red a little more than OL, so that's probably how I'll keep it. I have several other beefsteak varieties on the list, too..

Are you thinking you might grow it? I'd be curious to see if anyone else has, as well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We've had some very nice, warm weather here in Denver lately, but the real planting season is still far off. Although in 2 or 3 weeks, I'll plant pansies in my containers for the front porch and rake/fertilize the lawn to kick off 2015 I can't wait to get started!
denverian, you're not kidding. We average a couple degrees warmer than Denver in Erie during the day (usually much colder at night) and this past weekend was amazing. I could do without the wind, but we don't get one without the other in winter here, do we?

I noticed my garlic sending up taller green chutes over the past week or so. They're obviously doing well. I continue to water them moderately every few weeks if we haven't had a decent snowfall. The ones in the containers do not appear to be as robust as the ones in my raised flower bed, which is odd since the containers get full sun and the raised bed only gets about 3 hours (which increases each day as the sun moves further north). Oh well, it's all part of my experiment. I planted well over 100 cloves, so I should have a decent harvest if nothing else.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
nmnita, sorry I missed your post here!

Yes, use the same type of potting mix in all of your containers. I would recommend a good peat-based mix (peat should be the first ingredient listed on the ingredients list). I add a handful or two of perlite to the potting mix in each of my buckets to help with aeration (makes the mix less dense) and moisture retention. Most potting mixes already have perlite and small amounts of fertilizer already in them, but a little supplementation hasn't hurt me. Regarding organic or inorganic, that's totally your choice.

Always drill holes in the bottom of a container for drainage. I just use a ½" bit. Make enough holes that excess water will drain, but not so many that you've got mix falling out all over the place when you lift your container.
Started pricing potting soil yesterday at HD. No wonder it is better for container gradening, it is a lot more expensive, but if it works I guess I have to bite the bullet. I also got some containers, but will need a lot more.

Today I am starting my seeds for herbs. I got dill, lemon basil (my fav) garlic chives and cilantro. Usually I do parsley, but we really are not huge parsley people and end up not using that much of it. I would rather have cilantro anyday.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Started pricing potting soil yesterday at HD. No wonder it is better for container gradening, it is a lot more expensive, but if it works I guess I have to bite the bullet. I also got some containers, but will need a lot more.

Today I am starting my seeds for herbs. I got dill, lemon basil (my fav) garlic chives and cilantro. Usually I do parsley, but we really are not huge parsley people and end up not using that much of it. I would rather have cilantro anyday.
nmnita, you could prepare your own potting mix using peat moss, vermiculite and perlite - might save you a few bucks. I find the MG Moisture Control works for my personal needs for the time being, but everyone has their own preference(s). I'll err on the side of caution and not recommend any one personal mix to you - just don't use dirt, as we've discussed. What kind of containers are you buying? They have a series of containers in different colors that I think are very reasonably priced.. they come in square, rectangle and round - all in various sizes and colors (green, terracotta and black if I remember correctly). I buy the green ones and LOVE them. If you look at my thread from 2014, you can see a lot of them in the earlier photos.

Your herbs sound delicious! I've never tried lemon basil, but I did just start seeds for lime basil. Not sure how we'll use it, but it should be pretty at the very least. We don't use the fresh herbs as much as we should (I just LOVE smelling them when I'm working out in the garden), so I tend to dry them as necessary. We do, however, use a TON of dried parsley, so I will be planting as much as I can this year. We're down to about a ½-cup of it now and had a big food tupperware full of it back in the fall. Cilantro performed very poorly for me last year - bolted as soon as it came up in the spring and in the fall. I got one harvest from it when I first transplanted in early May and that was it. It's one of our faves and I hope it's successful this season because I will have lots of garlic, onions and tomatoes to go along with it!

Old 02-13-2015, 09:05 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
I'm looking to go soil-less for winter indoors growing. Any ideas? I used to have some gravel, too cold in garage to look. Has anyone used grow mats? Plain ol' rocks? Sponges? Lol...I think cabin fever finally got me.

I started sunflower seeds for sprouts, and some 'micro-greens.'

Old 02-13-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I'm looking to go soil-less for winter indoors growing. Any ideas? I used to have some gravel, too cold in garage to look. Has anyone used grow mats? Plain ol' rocks? Sponges? Lol...I think cabin fever finally got me.

I started sunflower seeds for sprouts, and some 'micro-greens.'
I've seen some videos on Youtube of people who start seeds in all kinds of different media, but to grow them consistently and through maturity, I would think you'd need a mix of some kind unless you're planning to go the hydroponic route. Way too ambitious for me right now, but maybe a fun project for another year.

I do start most of my seeds on a heat mat in total darkness; placing the flats under grow lights once a few of the seedlings have emerged. The only thing that hasn't come up within 4 days is the rosemary.. that darn rosemary. Everyone's challenge, it seems..

Maybe someone else has ideas..

Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
I wonder how far I can go with gravel, sponges, and marbles....

Old 02-13-2015, 12:01 PM

I think you should try all 3, right next to each other, and report back on your findings. Sponges, in particular. Mr. Clean or just your average household sponge?

Old 02-13-2015, 03:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
well hold on to your wagons folks I have nastriums coming up already how about that ? yes I kid you not .

Old 02-13-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well hold on to your wagons folks I have nastriums coming up already how about that ? yes I kid you not .
I bought seeds for nasturtiums! I have never seen them in person or tasted them, but I hear wonderful things about them.. what are your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden