Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 AM

16 posts, read 19,883 times

Advertisements

Each year my grass is having more dead spots and brown spots when the spring green up period starts. I always fertilize twice a year with a low nitrogen fertilizer (15-0-15), and last year I even de-thatched my lawn using a vertical mower. I water the grass well, and cut to a good height and do not let the grass go more than two weeks without mowing.

However, I just don't know what's causing the dead spots to get worse and worse. I'm beginning to wonder if it may be mole crickets. I have attached some pictures. The pictures around the tree I believe are the possible mole crickets. I have had agricultural inspectors come out and they didn't know what it was last year. Had me spray with a mixture of bleach and water for possible fungus.

The picture showing the houses is my front yard and it has started dying back also. I had bad thatch there last year but after de-thatching the yard seemed to return to normal. However, it's almost dead and isn't growing back.
Attached Thumbnails
Can you please help with my grass-unnamed-1.jpg   Can you please help with my grass-unnamed-2.jpg   Can you please help with my grass-unnamed.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:02 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Someone had you spray your lawn with diluted bleach????? That's crazy. First of all, never ever put bleach on your lawn, and secondly, once a fungal infection has taken hold, there is no way to stop it. All you can do is prevent it in the first place, and that is done with your cultural practices like mowing height, watering (amount and time), and fertilization schedule. Also, please don't ever treat for something when you're not sure what the problem is.

That's a pretty big problem and it could be caused by any number of things. The best way to resolve it is to call your county extension office, or email them these photos. Then go into their office with samples of dug-up turf, preferably patches that include both the dead and the thriving grass. Seriously, your county extension office is the best chance you have. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
If you are in the southeast, yes it could be mole crickets Here we have a similar problem some with Crane Flies. The problem is the young nymphs from the eggs that have hatched. To see if some are still under the ground now, just use a 5 gallon bucket with just dish washing liquid added, and pour over an affected area. They will soon come up to the top of the ground and you can stomp them. Other wise, it really takes a professional with some nasty pesticides. The adults burro to lay eggs, the nymphs eat and destroy the roots of the grass and kill it. Just like our Crane Fly larvae.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:57 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Am I seeing that last photo wrong ? It almost looks like the dead spots form a ring around that tree in the center.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:06 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,913,566 times
jb,
That looks like Bermuda grass.
Do an Internet search for Bermuda Bible. Look it up and memorize it, or print it out.
By the way, how much shade does the grass get in the back? By those trees?
Just wondering, I know warm season grasses hate shade.
They sell chemicals for bugs at any Big Box store, looks like you might want to check it out.
Personally, I don't use chemicals on my lawn. I use animal feeds. Alfalfa pellets for rabbits or horses.
I do put down Lesco preemergent around Valentines day. That's the only chemical I use.
I have centipede grass, so I really don't have to fertilize the lawn that much.
You don't have to dethatch your lawn if you use animal feeds. The buggies in the lawn take
care of the thatch for you.
Do an Internet search under Organic lawn care. Bermuda grass LOVES nitrogen, so you would have to
fertilize the lawn more if that is what you have.
Personally, I truly feel grass is a waste of time and money, but hubby insists on it. He likes a nice
lawn.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:10 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Looks like grub damage. See attached photos of grub damage to compare.
http://www.daisymoore.com/tip99-06.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=grub...%3B2816%3B2120

Old 03-28-2015, 08:35 PM

16 posts, read 19,883 times
Thanks for the advice. I've had my county extension agent come out several times. Last year he told me to dethatch the lawn and immediately fertilize. I feel some type of bug has to be causing the damage but never thought of grubs. If I had a grub problem would I be more likely to see moles cause I saw a couple this Winter. I sprayed castor oil and they left.

Should I lift the grass to see what's underneath. It's so discouraging to work so hard and spend so much on centipede sod to see it die in like 4 years

Old 03-28-2015, 10:38 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
have you had your soil tested?

It sounds like the agent might be expecting "centipede decline" which sounds kinda like when the Doctor tells you you've got a virus when they don't know what it is.

Have you seen this link? Centipede Grass

Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 PM

426 posts, read 506,041 times
I second the grub theory. You will see them if you dig. That is the only chemical I allow on my lawn. They do the grub treatment one or two times a season, (I forget), but the rest of the time I get organic. The grubs were gone in one season, but I can't stop the treatment, because they will return. The lawn looks great. Well, right now still under snow, but all the other years.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:51 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
I'm onboard with the grub theory also.
GrubX twice a year, spring and fall, but especially in the fall.
You want eradicate them before they start their larvae to beetle cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden