Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times

Advertisements

Aw, thanks, guys, I really appreciate it. My wife thought it looked like a hibiscus, but the leaves just didn't look right to me. Still have a lot to learn about the flora down here; it's incredible how many subtropical flowers grow in Kentucky.

And I just found out yesterday that we have a whole passel of them growing along the side of one of our houses, but I never noticed because I only go past that part of the house when I'm doing some sort of pool maintenance. So next summer I'll be able to bring fresh ones in for her every day when they're in bloom! I really feel badly that it's so hard for her to get out and experience that stuff, and it means a lot to be able to bring it in for her to enjoy. Makes me feel that on some level, I'm still sharing my outdoor activities with her, even if she can't go along.

And yeah, I have to be very cat-conscious, because I've always been really big on houseplants. I remember when I moved out at age 18, friends would come over to my place and ask, "so when are your parents getting home?" I'd say, "I don't know, they don't live here. This is my place." And they'd look confused and say, "who planted all the flowers outside? whose plants are all these?" They all thought I was weird, but I love plants.

I've had to get rid of a lot of my favorite houseplants (some of them as much as 40 years old) since my wife and I moved in together, because of her cats. I'm going to err on the side of caution with this one and put them on a stand that's big enough to hold the vase, but high enough and small enough on the top that the cat can't reach it or jump up on it. I have some that I specially designed to be too high for them to reach, and too heavy for them to knock over. Frustrates the hell out of the Maine coon, because she somehow has the idea that nothing's too difficult for her to outsmart, but it works like a charm. And keeps her humble, which is a good thing. Can't let her get too big for her britches, or next thing you know she'll be ordering shag carpeting for all the walls or something.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 09-17-2015 at 11:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 11:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Satx, hibiscus has been taking a hit the last few years (at least here in Fl, and your climate is most likely similar to mine) due to newly introduced pests. I had several cultivars that are now so weak, they look nothing as they did when first planted. Am probably going to exterminate them.
The Rose of Sharon is one of the originals, therefore stronger, and OP's looks to be in great health.
Wish I could say the same for mine.
The heat here is just taking it's toll more on my citrus. I have a lot of plants that can handle drought conditions and extreme heat pretty well. I finally dug up my last Rose of Sharon and transplanted to the backyard. It was a rushed effort and I'm sure I lost too many roots and it won't survive. I think my neighbor gave me the original seeds years ago. I'll have to check on some more seeds. I have way too many irons in the fire. I've seen some other Hibiscus I would really love to grow. Sorry to hear about yours.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Whoa, never seen that. Like your pets, mine chew on all kinds of plants that can scare one at first, thankfully, no ill effects.

I would err on side of caution Croc. Mine have chewed hibiscus with no side effects, but Satx's link would have me protecting kitty. Personally, think it will be fine, I've had mine chewed and OK. Perhaps the amount?

But would take no chances. TY Satx.
Yes err on the side of caution. But as I said like everything on the internet you finds claims to the contrary. I had peace lilies in the house out of weather once and the cats were chewing on them. Thought they were ok then quickly checked and found different opinion. Sometimes only the leaves or only the flower are toxic. Research. You're welcome TDown.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Aw, thanks, guys, I really appreciate it. My wife thought it looked like a hibiscus, but the leaves just didn't look right to me. Still have a lot to learn about the flora down here; it's incredible how many subtropical flowers grow in Kentucky.

And I just found out yesterday that we have a whole passel of them growing along the side of one of our houses, but I never noticed because I only go past that part of the house when I'm doing some sort of pool maintenance. So next summer I'll be able to bring fresh ones in for her every day when they're in bloom! I really feel badly that it's so hard for her to get out and experience that stuff, and it means a lot to be able to bring it in for her to enjoy. Makes me feel that on some level, I'm still sharing my outdoor activities with her, even if she can't go along.
You're quite welcome! I think that's great idea to have a flower a day to bring in for the wife. Good luck and keep them kitties safe.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
The heat here is just taking it's toll more on my citrus. I have a lot of plants that can handle drought conditions and extreme heat pretty well. I finally dug up my last Rose of Sharon and transplanted to the backyard. It was a rushed effort and I'm sure I lost too many roots and it won't survive. I think my neighbor gave me the original seeds years ago. I'll have to check on some more seeds. I have way too many irons in the fire. I've seen some other Hibiscus I would really love to grow. Sorry to hear about yours.
Since it appears I have a pretty abundant seed stock at one of our houses, and the strain seems strong and healthy, I'd be more than happy to send you some seeds if you trust me with your address. I'll be collecting seeds no matter what (because that's just what I do), so feel free to let me know if you ever decide you'd like some. The offer is open indefinitely. I wonder if they'll grow in Northern California when we move out there in a few years....

Old 09-18-2015, 11:34 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Rose of Sharon, aka Althea, is very hardy in central Kentucky. I've had it volunteer in various places throughout my high-shady yard, and if it crops up where it's not wanted, I just chop it down, knowing there are plenty of others at hand. Mine range from white with a dark red throat to a sort of rose-lavender color. The blooms only last one day, but the seed pods are rather attractive and can be used for dried arrangements - just be sure you shake all the little fuzz-edged seeds out first to avoid a mess.

I've also had indoor-outdoor cats for many years. The last three lived to be seventeen (two cats) and eighteen (one cat), and they never seemed to be interested in nibbling on the Rose of Sharon.

BTW, if you're located near where I think you are, check out the wheelchair accessible trails at Raven Run and McConnell Springs Parks. If your wife can get outside at all, she would probably love them. Just don't pick wildflowers in the parks, or you'll get in trouble!

Old 09-18-2015, 12:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
Maybe put the flowers in a locked cupboard overnite or when kitty is most likely to explore. I am unable to have any flowers here with the rascal I.ve got. Plus I face east so no sunshine.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Since it appears I have a pretty abundant seed stock at one of our houses, and the strain seems strong and healthy, I'd be more than happy to send you some seeds if you trust me with your address. I'll be collecting seeds no matter what (because that's just what I do), so feel free to let me know if you ever decide you'd like some. The offer is open indefinitely. I wonder if they'll grow in Northern California when we move out there in a few years....
Thank you very much. I might take you up on that very nice offer. I'm picking through some seeds now. Some identified and some not. I just have so much going on a so little space and winter is coming. I dread trying to keep seedlings alive through the winter. I'll get with you later.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
How is kitty doing now? Does she seem ill, or her old self?

About a month ago, we were in a similar situation. Our cat ate some flowers someone had sent us, then he started throwing up and acting a little "strange'.We couldn't determine what kind of flowers they were, so we took kitty, and flowers, to Texas A&M Vet school. They sent off pictures to some poision control place, and were able to determine they were Peruvian Lilies. Those can make a cat sick, but not fatal. They look very similar to Tiger lilies, which can be fatal to a cat in 24--24 hours.

I believe they said they could provide identification services by electronic transmission, for a fee of $50. If there's some way you could email or otherwise transmit them pictures, they could identify. Total cost for us to have kitty examined, ER workup, flower identification, and a charcoal lavage, came to $140, not bad to take care of my little friend!

Old 09-29-2019, 12:46 AM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
The first possibility that came to my mind was "Malva": https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-...ennial/mallow/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden