Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:01 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times

Advertisements

I have 4 acres to mow. About an acre of it is a designated wetland.
It's uneven everywhere but the wetland area is spine breakingly uneven to drive over.
So I said - to the heck with it, I'll let it grow and will consider it wetland park. I cut some alleys into that acre, so that it looks "designed" and warned neighbors.
But it is front of the property and is very dull looking. Nothing but a tall grass with very little color to it.
What I'd like to do is to add more natural color to it. Seed some meadow wildlife flowers so it actually does look like a natural park.
But how do I go about this with all the grass? I mean, I can get a guy in with a field mower and mow it - but he does not pick the clippings, I am not inclined to do an acre myself.
Will it actually grow if I simply spread seeds fall time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 05:31 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Why not call your locate board of cooperative extension they should/will be able to advise you.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:55 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Our neighbor leaves his front acreage "natural." He had a farmer cut it down once or twice and use it for hay but the farmer says it needs some lime, etc. so won't do it again. There are some black eyed Susan flowers along with a few wildflowers, thanks to the birds, but brown high grass is the majority of the "meadow." I saw a news article on Steve Hartman (CBS) who has a wildflower meadow and I believe he has to weed it.
Wildflower Seed Planting Instructions

Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
My parents did this on part of their 5 acres, but they plant in spring, most wildflowers are annuals, but reseed themselves. Plant in fall and some seeds will survive to spring but many will rot. What they did the first year was to let the grasses dry out over summer- winter, then as they started to show green again in spring, rototilled the area thoroughly, and spread the 20 lb bags of seed. By May it was a colorful show that lasted until about September. Now they just touch up here and there in bare spots, most come back from their own seeds.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,991 times
Clovers, yellow alfalfa, daisies, yarrow are tough and they will compete successfully with grass even if you'll seed them on the unprepared ground, but you do have to mow in the spring the first, possibly second year to give them a chance to establish. Non native grasses tend to start their life cycle earlier, so spring mowing will help native flowers and grasses to compete.

Whatever seed mixture you pick, seed in the fall because that's how flowers in the wild seed, some will not even germinate without being subjected to freeze-thaw cycling. Just try to mimick landcapers seeding grass using either rolls of seeded straw or chippers shredding straw on the seeded areas. Let the grass grow into the fall then mow really high, then seed, then mow again, then mow high in the spring, it will be far from 100% germination/survival success, but plenty to establish footholds and suitable for your area plants will just spread from there. Even then spring mowing is beneficial.

Last edited by RememberMee; 07-19-2016 at 08:11 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 11:15 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,264,938 times
Sellers of wildflowers love to spread the myth that you just scatter some seed in the fall and voila, instant colorful show in the spring and every year after. The truth is that meadows need good preparation of the soil, and you will have to work to maintain the wildflower meadow. Otherwise, weeds and other tall grasses will take over. It can be very pretty, but it will require maintenance and yes, some reseeding over the years. The advice to plant in the fall is good. It's called stratification, and many wildflower seeds do not germinate without exposure to the cold.

I can recommend black-eyed Susans as a wildflower that refuses to go away! I planted some over 10 years ago, and I am still pulling them out. They pop up everywhere and spread their seeds everywhere. Sometimes I give up and let the plant grow. LOL

Old 07-19-2016, 12:24 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Didn't you start a thread like this before?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,666,413 times
you have to tell us where you live!

In my area, joe pye weed (makes a great show) would do well in the wetlands, as well as many others, but we need to know your zone at least.

The clippings from the guy who doesn't rake would be a great start or addition to a compost heap. You could use woodchips on your alleys to make them look more finished.

Possibilities are endless but not instant. When I start something new, I work with a five year plan.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:10 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,509,612 times
Many folks don't realize that annual mowing is critical to maintenance of a meadow, unless you have grazing animals. Mowing is what keeps the shrubs and trees out. Do not know the best time of year for mowing, however, since I've never had a meadow, although I'm thinking about it.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:04 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,001,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Clovers, yellow alfalfa, daisies, yarrow are tough and they will compete successfully with grass even if you'll seed them on the unprepared ground, but you do have to mow in the spring the first, possibly second year to give them a chance to establish. Non native grasses tend to start their life cycle earlier, so spring mowing will help native flowers and grasses to compete.

Whatever seed mixture you pick, seed in the fall because that's how flowers in the wild seed, some will not even germinate without being subjected to freeze-thaw cycling. Just try to mimick landcapers seeding grass using either rolls of seeded straw or chippers shredding straw on the seeded areas. Let the grass grow into the fall then mow really high, then seed, then mow again, then mow high in the spring, it will be far from 100% germination/survival success, but plenty to establish footholds and suitable for your area plants will just spread from there. Even then spring mowing is beneficial.
"yellow alfalfa".........?

I'm back after doing research and YES there is "yellow alfalfa"

This 70 year old learns something new every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden