Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Were they, by chance, the most ferocious bunny rabbits in the whole wide world?
Mentioned in post #48.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 04:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Hasenpfeffer (Rabbit Stew) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Hasenpfeffer Recipe (German stewed rabbit) | Whats4eats

Old 12-28-2016, 04:38 PM

3,506 posts, read 762,448 times
https://youtu.be/weHNnsMY82A

Old 12-28-2016, 05:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,879,258 times
I have this friend, Wiley, that is very committed to the ridding of rabbits. He is also a verified Super Genius and purchases all his supplies from Acme.

You may want to take a look at their catalogue.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:11 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
When a mommy bunny and a daddy bunny love each other very much... you get as many as 10 hungry baby bunnies. And then about 3 months later, the brothers will fight each other (often to the death) for the right to breed the females.

Wild rabbits spread fleas, ticks, tularemia and lyme disease. Not critters you want living under your deck and hopping around your vegetable garden.
This post makes me sad.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:30 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Wink I am also saddened to see buck rabbits fight to the death... because they're no longer fit for the stew pot

Rabbits and squirrels are welcome to hang out anywhere on rest of my acreage, and the ~100 acres of conservation land abutting my property line. But when they cross the tree line and go after my cultivated plants, they are welcome... in the stew pot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
This post makes me sad.
To be honest, it's funny when you first see them face off.

While I am a pragmatist, it is sad to see buck rabbits fight to the death just for a little nookie.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I will never be able to understand the mindset of a person who can kill an animal that is not attacking you. They have just as much right to live as humans do; probably more so as they don't enjoy killing for fun or sport. (And yes I'm sure somebody will post that one in a million time they saw a documentary about some animal killing for no reason, so spare me please.)

This ^^^^indeed . some people are just afraid of what they don't know . People need to learn to live in peace with nature .

Old 12-29-2016, 07:38 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
If you are worried about what fleas , ticks what have you are dropping on your yard have it sprayed . I spray my dogs for fleas and I also have my yard sprayed and don't have problems with that anymore . I can only imagine someone being scared about what wild animals drop in their yard , are you also scared about what you are breathing while you are outside ? Just saying some people will find anything to worry about .

Old 12-29-2016, 07:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
No chemicals in my yard! My dogs don't have a flea problem. I am not afraid of the rabbits, I love all animals. I just don't want them munching on my garden.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I recently moved into a home with a deck in the back yard. I learned that we have two rabbits who live under the deck. I plan on planting a nice garden with veggies and flowers next spring. I need to get the rabbits out of my yard. Any suggestions? I have two small dogs, so poison is out of the question.
Here is what has worked for me that causes no harm to anyone and hopefully should make the rabbits vacate the premises permanently.

All small prey animals like rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, possoms, etc. and birds that get into the garden and trash it - they all instinctively recognize the shapes, movements and silhouettes of predatory birds that will capture and eat them - like hawks, owls, eagles, vultures, crows, ravens and so on.

You purchase or make some lifesized black kites in the shapes of predatory birds with wings outspread and mount them on poles or hang them on clothesline, or in trees or off roof overhangs. The breeze will make them flutter a bit and the rabbits, squirrels etc. will see the movement of the black silhouettes above them. They will think it is a hunting bird of prey silhouetted against the sky ready to swoop down on them and kill them and it will frighten them away.

You can also purchase ready-made lifesized plastic statues of horned owls and other predatory birds that are realistically coloured to look like the real thing. They are designed specifically for the purpose of mounting on poles or fence posts, chimneys and roof tops and in trees to frighten away small prey animals and birds that get into gardens and crops. The statues do need to be moved around and relocated from time to time so the prey animals don't catch on that it's not the real thing.

See pictures here:

Eagle kites: https://www.google.ca/search?q=eagle...HQrABbsQsAQIFA

Plastic owls: https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isc....0.ANe8vl-y30M

There is one other little trick you can try every time you see your rabbits that should eventually frighten them away permanently but you will have to do it several times. Every time you see the rabbits you run at them with a big black umbrella and flap it at them. Open and close it rapidly several times at them as you approach them so that it makes a flapping sound and looks like a huge black bird of prey flapping it's wings and coming after them.

Good luck in chasing off your rabbits.

Last edited by Zoisite; 12-29-2016 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden