Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,919 times

Advertisements

But you can pull weeds easily that are just in regular soil, too, especially if you mulch as much as you would need to to hide landscape fabric.

Gardening through landscape fabric is no fun. And when the stuff breaks down, which it will after a period of years, it's a b**ch to remove.

Don't use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 11:48 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
You need to be very careful in using landscape fabric. For example, I moved into a house last July that had huge beds, two 50x10 roughly, of tiger lilies growing through landscape fabric. The previous folks had mulched to hide the fabric. The weeds loved growing in the mulch above the fabric. I also found that water permeated the fabric very slowly if at all. I ripped it out and found peony shoots trying to get beyond the little slit made for them. It must have sounded great to the owners when a landscaper proposed the fabric, and it probably worked for a few years...

Landscape fabric is designed for agricultural use for one season. It's also found a successful role in hardscaping - covered with rock and stone. But it's not good for ornamental gardening or under shrubbery - tends to smother the roots.
Agree with you. It works great in a vegetable garden for one season, maybe 2. It is not a permanent solution. More trouble than it is worth in general landscapes or flower beds.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:55 AM

[Mod cut: spam]

"Weed barriers" are at best short term solutions that have long term negative impacts. True, weeds won't grow roots through the barriers. They just grow on top of them. Even the most porous of the barriers reduces nutrient and air flow to plant roots and tend to silt up over time. But yes, landscapers love them because they make a great story for clients.

Last edited by elnina; 06-21-2021 at 08:49 AM..

Old 06-15-2021, 10:17 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I have to remove a very large area on a slope of old plastic weed barrier and I am dreading it.
When it is gone I will either hand pull the weeds or find a yard guy that can put me on his route for quick service calls.

We drink from a well and raise bees.
We will never use chemicals on our property.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
A guy once told me to use asphalt roofing shingles, this was to prevent weeds along a fence line, but it will work anywhere else too...

The trouble with putting anything down underneath mulch, the weeds will grow on top!

Old 06-20-2021, 09:37 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Yep, they do but they're easier to pull out because the roots are shallow.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:20 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yep, they do but they're easier to pull out because the roots are shallow.
Glad I'm not the only one who keeps repeating this. Plus the fact that there's always going to be much less weed seeds on top vs in soil.

Also... I'm trying Preen for 1st time see if that works as an addition to the fabric and mulch. Win Win Win.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:39 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
[Mod cut: spam]

"Weed barriers" are at best short term solutions that have long term negative impacts. True, weeds won't grow roots through the barriers. They just grow on top of them. Even the most porous of the barriers reduces nutrient and air flow to plant roots and tend to silt up over time. But yes, landscapers love them because they make a great story for clients.
The house we bought put heavy duty weed barriers everywhere, and true, no weeds come through, they just grown on top. They also put the irrigations pipes underneath which drives DH nuts when repairing them. I'm on the fence, because weeds do grow more where I know the barrier is torn.

Six of one, half dozen of another.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-21-2021, 10:13 AM

When I moved into our current house 5 years ago, there were two large beds of essentially tiger lillies and lots of weeds in front of the house. Over a two year period, I dug out the lillies (huge clumps several feet across) and ripped up the weed barrier, along with tons of weeds on top. Over the next two years, the beds came to life - peonies popped up all over the place, about a dozen, some beautiful hostas started growing, lots of beautiful sedum, and some iris. Evidently all these things were dormant, trapped under the landscape fabric. Or, the stuff wasn't letting enough water and nutrients through for growth.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:22 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
I also put cardboard down over winter (no mulch) to keep spring weeds out of my veg bed. It works pretty well, but we have a lot of wind here, so it all needs weighing down, so ends up being way more work than it should be. But it really helps come spring and is soft enough to plant right through, so if I have enough again this winter, I'll do the same. Or newspapers. I've never tried them under mulch but wonder if all those layers might do a little bit better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden