Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:29 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have noticed some dying branch tips on my Sugarberry trees (Hackberry), but I can't tell if it's from the cicadas or not.
Good info here...
Will the cicadas kill my trees, shrubs or flowers? - Cicada Mania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 11:26 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have noticed some dying branch tips on my Sugarberry trees (Hackberry), but I can't tell if it's from the cicadas or not.
OT: I've never heard them called a Sugarberry tree, looked them up and blow me down, my Hackberries are Sugarberries. Doesn't make me like them any better.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 PM

490 posts, read 583,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
They drink sap from the trees.
How exactly do they do that without having a mouth? They don't eat anything as a adult. They just mate. The nymphs eat underground

Old 08-11-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
OT: I've never heard them called a Sugarberry tree, looked them up and blow me down, my Hackberries are Sugarberries. Doesn't make me like them any better.
It is, after mating eggs are laid. The damage is minimal, it is not long term , trees will recover to await the next cicada brood.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Not a very good article, ok but incorrect. Cicadas are not parasites. A parasite certainly couldnt care if the host lives or dies.

So technically humans could be called parasites of earth because like the cicada needing the tree for its continued existence we need the earth.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
How exactly do they do that without having a mouth? They don't eat anything as a adult. They just mate. The nymphs eat underground
Make sure you know what you're talking about before you call someone a liar.

Cicada mouthparts and feeding (with additional references)

"Cicadas (Hemiptera, Cicadidae) are a diverse family of sap-sucking hemipterans...Nymphs feed on xylem of plant roots underground, while adults feed exclusively on xylem fluid from the branches of their host plants..."

How to Survive Cicada Season

"...Cicadas drink the xylem fluid of trees as nourishment..."

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 08-16-2017 at 10:30 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
I've been digging new terraces for tamarillos (tree tomatoes), and have been digging up plenty of cicadas - feeling a bit guilty, but there are so many during summer, it won't make any difference.

Cicada season is long and loud here, at about 2-3 months, and they are loud enough to be heard inside. They go 24 hours on the hottest days of summer. Cicada shells stick to the trees by the thousand, and even now there is still the odd one or two around.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
When I was a child, I saw the life cycle of 3 of the seven species here. It was amazing to say the least. I grew up on my family's farm, trees abounded (my family farm consisted of timber, nuts and fruits)...and every so many years, so did an uprising of the cicada.

They would loudly scream throughout the summer into late fall. The first frost seemed to kill them off, or at least the adults who could fly. Already laying their seed, the mothers and fathers would succumb to the weather. But leave behind those that would arrive in a cyclical year (of their species).

One summer in my late youth, I had caught a baby robin, too young to fly and needed help to grow his flight wings. (he had pin feathers). It happened to be the same year as one of the cicada. I spent the summer feeding my baby robin and watching him grow, all on the cicada I would catch and bring the baby bird.

Some may hate them, but in my childhood, it was a wonderment. It gave rise to some of the same things that have carried throughout my life, and my amazement of it.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:45 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
There are tons of cicadas. They are loud, but somehow kind of cute. We also had a lot of fireflies this summer. I wish I could have gotten a decent photograph. It was really magical.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:51 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
When I was a child, I saw the life cycle of 3 of the seven species here. It was amazing to say the least. I grew up on my family's farm, trees abounded (my family farm consisted of timber, nuts and fruits)...and every so many years, so did an uprising of the cicada.

They would loudly scream throughout the summer into late fall. The first frost seemed to kill them off, or at least the adults who could fly. Already laying their seed, the mothers and fathers would succumb to the weather. But leave behind those that would arrive in a cyclical year (of their species).

One summer in my late youth, I had caught a baby robin, too young to fly and needed help to grow his flight wings. (he had pin feathers). It happened to be the same year as one of the cicada. I spent the summer feeding my baby robin and watching him grow, all on the cicada I would catch and bring the baby bird.

Some may hate them, but in my childhood, it was a wonderment. It gave rise to some of the same things that have carried throughout my life, and my amazement of it.
I like them too.

the thought of the 17 year ones being underground all that time, oblivious to wars, politics, crime..
sounds kind of nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden