Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 03:40 PM

309 posts, read 323,215 times

Advertisements

We want to buy a lawn mower. What is the best lawn mower and also what should we look for? We want self propelled mower. Some are written 190cc others 163cc. Which brand is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 03:43 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Honda. I had 1 of the first and it lasted over 25 years and still started on the first pull. The commercial models are much better but cost more than the ones available at Home Depot and similar stores. Honda lawn mower engines are residential or residential grade, quality and price are also different. The residential units are good but the commercial products can't be beat!
http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn...dels/hrx217vka
http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn...dels/hrc216hxa

Last edited by froglipz; 08-13-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-13-2016, 03:57 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Yes, Honda engines are very good.

I suggest a rear-wheel drive mower instead of front-wheel.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:10 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Yes, Honda engines are good.
Kohler engines are a close second.
Kawasaki engines are good, too.
There really is nothing wrong with Briggs &
Stratton engines, though.
That covers nearly every new mower made today.
good luck, and have fun shopping.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:03 AM

309 posts, read 323,215 times
The other mower we saw has deck wash and mulch kit. i think it was craftsman

Old 08-14-2016, 12:07 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Be aware that the wheels on mowers are now plastic and the large rear wheels cannot stand up to anything that stresses them sideways, due to the weakness of the material and torque. I've had to resort to big washers and all sorts of kludge repairs. I've looked for metal replacements with no success. The small wheel front drives can be prone to grass getting in the gear action or under the belt, depending on the design.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Be aware that the wheels on mowers are now plastic and the large rear wheels cannot stand up to anything that stresses them sideways, due to the weakness of the material and torque. I've had to resort to big washers and all sorts of kludge repairs. I've looked for metal replacements with no success. The small wheel front drives can be prone to grass getting in the gear action or under the belt, depending on the design.
I totally agree with this comment about lawnmower wheels. I've had around five lawnmowers in the past 20 years and they have all been reliable except for the wheels. In fact, the wheels were the reason I replaced the lawnmower. I have no need for a self propelled mower but the wheels on them tend to be higher quality. I would still inspect the wheels before purchasing. Look for high quality ball bearing wheels. Lawnmower wheels are also expensive to replace.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:42 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
The other mower we saw has deck wash and mulch kit. i think it was craftsman
I have one with those features and really like it.

Only mine isn't self propelled.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I have had mowers and other power equipment with Briggs or Tecumseh engines, and never had a problem with any of them. The difference in mowers has been the durability of the deck. I recently had to weld some steel onto the Craftsman, about 10 years old when it rusted through, but it still runs great and starts every time on the first pull.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:02 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
I have a medium sized neighborhood lawn. it is not flat, but is on a steady slope.

I purchased a Sears riding mower that I never use. In fact, I need to think about getting rid of it.

I also owned a self propelled push mower that I got rid of.

I currently use a manual reel mower.

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

I find the reel to be the best choice. Is is a lot less bothersom than the rider. It takes no more muscle to use than the self propelled, and it cuts as well as any of them. I don't have to worry about butchering roots. The only time it is bothersom is when I have let the lawn grow too high, then, I have to use one of the others to chop down the high grass before the reel can tackle it. But maybe mine needs a tune up, or maybe there is new technology that will make higher grass easier to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden