U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2017, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
21,030 posts, read 26,222,618 times
Reputation: 13018

Advertisements

looks nice. i took a look at what i could get for more than my cub cadet ($1700) but i dont know enough to know the difference.

this weekend i am doing the same thing. blow the leaves out on the grass and chop chop chop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Status: "Ventura Strong" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
14,906 posts, read 23,822,622 times
Reputation: 18542
That thing looks awesome. Wish I had a place that needed that much mowing just so I could ride around on it. We have a 6,000 square foot lot and the entire back yard is only 25' x 60' and 25' x 25' is patio. The front I have three areas to mow the grass. Yard work, meaning mowing, edging, and trimming our palm trees takes maybe a couple hours a week.

Don't know about picking up leaves that have fallen from trees. None of the trees around here do that. Weather is about the same year round, meaning I need to keep up with the yard all year long.

Wondering though, what does it cost to have a landscaper maintain a large yard. Around here even with a small yard it can start around $30 a week to maintain the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
21,030 posts, read 26,222,618 times
Reputation: 13018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That thing looks awesome. Wish I had a place that needed that much mowing just so I could ride around on it. We have a 6,000 square foot lot and the entire back yard is only 25' x 60' and 25' x 25' is patio. The front I have three areas to mow the grass. Yard work, meaning mowing, edging, and trimming our palm trees takes maybe a couple hours a week.

Don't know about picking up leaves that have fallen from trees. None of the trees around here do that. Weather is about the same year round, meaning I need to keep up with the yard all year long.

Wondering though, what does it cost to have a landscaper maintain a large yard. Around here even with a small yard it can start around $30 a week to maintain the yard.
my lot is almost exactly 1 acre. guy that mows my lawn charges me 40/week if i want it weekly and 55/per cut if i want it cut every other week. i was recently quoted about $900 for a fall cleanup.

my brother has a 7,500 square foot lot in a nearby town and i believe pays more than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 03:33 PM
 
5,158 posts, read 2,373,025 times
Reputation: 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
looks nice. i took a look at what i could get for more than my cub cadet ($1700) but i dont know enough to know the difference.

this weekend i am doing the same thing. blow the leaves out on the grass and chop chop chop.
I tend to shy away from box stores with major purchases such as a tractor or snow blower. Based on all my research, a comparable model (specs) sold at a box store versus power equipment/dealer is cheaper and for a reason, in that the components are of lesser quality to lower the price. When I asked the guy who's been repairing my Snapper about the John Deere models ("D" series at box stores versus "X" series), this was his answer - "As far as the x series it is very good with a commercial type engine and should outlast all others, average 15years ,is it worth it I’m not sure , you can spend half that on either a husqvarna or John Deere lower line and will cut the same , and average 7-12 years with some maintenance , per year they equal out , I would stay away from the troybuilt/cub cadet Mtd line as they tend to be the most problematic and shortlived off all of them. The lowest model has a plastic transmission (bad) but there mid models are decent repairs about same , just won’t last same number of years" I could get a high priced lemon, but I take the chance on paying more for quality. When I bought my 32" Ariens snowthrower, I paid $800 more at a power equipment company then at Home Depot for the "same" model, and in comparing the HD just felt cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That thing looks awesome. Wish I had a place that needed that much mowing just so I could ride around on it. We have a 6,000 square foot lot and the entire back yard is only 25' x 60' and 25' x 25' is patio. The front I have three areas to mow the grass. Yard work, meaning mowing, edging, and trimming our palm trees takes maybe a couple hours a week.

Don't know about picking up leaves that have fallen from trees. None of the trees around here do that. Weather is about the same year round, meaning I need to keep up with the yard all year long.

Wondering though, what does it cost to have a landscaper maintain a large yard. Around here even with a small yard it can start around $30 a week to maintain the yard.
I did not get a quote, but in researching I'd pay anywhere from $1,000-$1,500 for lawn care annually including bush trimming and spring/fall cleanup, and more if I add fertilizer etc. I generally mow every 2 weeks, and most companies have weekly contracts. The JD I bought cost $4,000 with a 4-year full warranty. Made it a no-brainer for me.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 12-01-2017 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 05:44 PM
 
7,485 posts, read 6,358,600 times
Reputation: 15701
Hint from a JD owner. Get a set of bagger blades for it, as they have a much higher lift for the cut grass. Standard blades leave you with the chute getting plugged and not throwing the grass satisfactory. Mine is 13 years old with an acre of lawn works great with bagger blades. Here is where I got mine. Look at the customer reviews to see what I mean.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...034_p_287.html

Winter drop the mower and install the snow blade. Does the great job, and saves a lot of money over hiring someone with a snow removal service to clear a 20 by 200 foot area, plus in front of the garage, and a 500 ft. lane from the county road which separates the best area of the city from us in the county. Have a teen age boy that mows in the summer and plows in the winter using our equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 05:54 PM
 
2,284 posts, read 2,338,758 times
Reputation: 6291
Good choice !! My 1984 JD 318 is still going strong and has cost me less that $100 in repairs in all those years. Best tractors out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Billings, MT
8,175 posts, read 6,033,386 times
Reputation: 10410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Good choice !! My 1984 JD 318 is still going strong and has cost me less that $100 in repairs in all those years. Best tractors out there.
I find it hard to believe that you are actually comparing a 318 to any new lawn/garden tractor!
That old 318 was (and still is) twice the tractor of any tractor of any brand, IMO.
I wanted one a few years ago, but couldn't find one, so I ended up with a Craftsman mid-grade tractor with the 54 inch deck. The Vtwin engine is almost as good as the Onan in the 318. It has more horsepower, but it won't last as long. The hydrostatic transaxle is OK, but it can't be serviced like the one in the 318.
The 318 can be equipped with electric clutch PTOs, front and rear. The 318 has power steering and hydraulic deck lift.
It is simply a better tractor than any new one, with the possible exception of a small Kubota.
I did recently find a very good 318, but I did not buy it. They wanted $3500 for it!
Yes, it really is worth that much.
Or more...
but, it won't fit my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 PM
 
5,158 posts, read 2,373,025 times
Reputation: 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Hint from a JD owner. Get a set of bagger blades for it, as they have a much higher lift for the cut grass. Standard blades leave you with the chute getting plugged and not throwing the grass satisfactory. Mine is 13 years old with an acre of lawn works great with bagger blades. Here is where I got mine. Look at the customer reviews to see what I mean.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...034_p_287.html

Winter drop the mower and install the snow blade. Does the great job, and saves a lot of money over hiring someone with a snow removal service to clear a 20 by 200 foot area, plus in front of the garage, and a 500 ft. lane from the county road which separates the best area of the city from us in the county. Have a teen age boy that mows in the summer and plows in the winter using our equipment.
I had messaged them a couple of days before delivery asking about hi-lift blades. I was told (and as delivered) that the bagger unit came with "bagger" blades, and the regular blades I was given as an extra. Since my lawn is nothing special other than in size, I'll test these blades out. After 17 years with a Snapper that was not good vacuuming, I cannot wait to see what this puppy does in that regards. I've read how great a JD does at sucking it all up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2017, 09:12 PM
 
2,284 posts, read 2,338,758 times
Reputation: 6291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I find it hard to believe that you are actually comparing a 318 to any new lawn/garden tractor!
That old 318 was (and still is) twice the tractor of any tractor of any brand, IMO.
I wanted one a few years ago, but couldn't find one, so I ended up with a Craftsman mid-grade tractor with the 54 inch deck. The Vtwin engine is almost as good as the Onan in the 318. It has more horsepower, but it won't last as long. The hydrostatic transaxle is OK, but it can't be serviced like the one in the 318.
The 318 can be equipped with electric clutch PTOs, front and rear. The 318 has power steering and hydraulic deck lift.
It is simply a better tractor than any new one, with the possible exception of a small Kubota.
I did recently find a very good 318, but I did not buy it. They wanted $3500 for it!
Yes, it really is worth that much.
Or more...
but, it won't fit my budget.

Yeah, I know. There is kind of a cult following for the 318. It is a truly well designed, well made machine. If you go to http://www.greentractortalk.com or Weekend Freedom Machines Forum | Vintage John Deere Tractors you may find one for sale at a more reasonable price. These 2 sites are the JD bibles. Good Luck !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Status: "Ventura Strong" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
14,906 posts, read 23,822,622 times
Reputation: 18542
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my lot is almost exactly 1 acre. guy that mows my lawn charges me 40/week if i want it weekly and 55/per cut if i want it cut every other week. i was recently quoted about $900 for a fall cleanup.

my brother has a 7,500 square foot lot in a nearby town and i believe pays more than me.
One thing we don't have to do here is the fall clean up. We do have to keep up with the yard each week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post


I did not get a quote, but in researching I'd pay anywhere from $1,000-$1,500 for lawn care annually including bush trimming and spring/fall cleanup, and more if I add fertilizer etc. I generally mow every 2 weeks, and most companies have weekly contracts. The JD I bought cost $4,000 with a 4-year full warranty. Made it a no-brainer for me.
I can see spending the money on the mower. I am guessing you will get many more years of service from your JD than just four. Using your example of the cost per year for someone else to maintain your yard.

I do have three sons still living at home so yard work is not too much of a burden on me either way. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top